Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-18-2014, 10:51 PM   #1

How should the slide fit?

Hi,
I purchased a new Jay Flight Swift 281BHS. It has about an 8 foot slide that only comes out about a foot when extended. When it is all the way in, the top of the slide tilts away from the trailer and creates about a 1 inch gap at the top. It seals totally about half way down and to the bottom. It was about 3 inches at the top originally. I took it back to the dealer, and they adjusted it to the current gap. They said this was normal. My question is, should the slide be sealed to the side of the trailer tightly, top and bottom?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Bob
doctrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 05:33 AM   #2
Site Team

I have the same slide on my 28BHS. It sounds to me like it is still a bit out of adjustment. The slide mechanism on these is under the couch and it pulls in only from the bottom. A slide lock is used on mine to keep the top tight when traveling. A short term fix may be to use the slide lock to pull in the top when the slide is in for a complete seal.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 10:48 AM   #3

Hi, I had problems with one of my slides sealing and I took it to the dealer twice and they did not get it right , even replaced parts with no help. I finally adjusted it myself and all is well . The original problem was at the top left corner when slid in and the slide lock Crabman mentioned would have fixed it but I had already taken mine to the dealer and then they got it out of adjustment on the other side at the bottom when slid out. My dealer might not be very good with those procedures .
The slide should seal tight all the way around or else you will have the chance of water intrusion, pests, and air.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:43 PM   #4

When the slide is adjusted correctly it will be tight against the seal when the slide is in or out.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 05:32 PM   #5

Per the slide people, top should be adjusted to hit side trailer first, then the bottom will pull tight. Mine is about one quarter off at the top, but have heard war stories, and refuse to mess with it.
arkhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 03:58 PM   #6

We just bought the same trailer 281BHS and have the same issue. The top of the slide does not seal when pulled in. We received a travel lock to pull the top in while stored and travelling.
I had to modify the lock a bit for it to stay put but it works well now.
Subaru297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 04:37 PM   #7

Does anyone else see the room flexing a bit right before the slide fits completely against the seal?