Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-18-2014, 05:02 AM   #1

Single axle TT; thoughts

I am about to order a new X17Z and am interested in thoughts on a single axle TT. I really like the camper and going up to a dual axle will really break the budget. Also want to go with a lite weight unit and do prefer new as I haven't found any used that really meet my expectations.

Any real concerns with a single axle? I hadn't thought much about it until a dealer suggested I give it serious consideration.

Also interested in hearing from any X17Z owners; how you like the model etc.

Thanks for your help.
powhatanone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 06:27 AM   #2

I tow my 184BH (Single Axle) about 3000 miles per year. Ive had it down back roads that I had to back out of via half a mile, and I tracked across sand dunes to find good campsites. Ive driven across Kansas in a 50 mph cross wind, and went across Colorado at 14,100 feet. Never a problem.

I do a couple things to make sure that I am always in a good place.

1) Every time I stop for gas I take a laser temperature gauge http://www.harborfreight.com/non-con...9465-8905.html and shoot my axle hubs for temperature. Highest temps Ive seen were 145 in the mountains, but the average is about 125 degrees. I also shoot my transmission cooler in/out lines to see what my tranny temp is.

2) I changed over my grease to lithium. Produces less heat. I also do it yearly instead of every other year as recommended.

3) Make sure your tires are fully inflated and in good shape.

I love my trailer. It has been a good family purchase.

2017 Jayco 287BHSW
xkuzme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 05:50 AM   #3

I had a 19' Single Axle, and it was just fine, after I added an anti sway bar. I also had a short wheel base truck.
Used something like both the links below.
http://www.reesehitches.com/products..._Adapter,26003
http://www.reesehitches.com/product_...r_sway_control
Jimw606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 09:28 AM   #4

Ive had single axle trailers before. A TT, 2 PUPs, several utility, and even one of my car haulers was single axle. They always towed fine.
TIM
qwed94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 09:59 AM   #5

All good advice. IMHO buy good tires, replace regularly.
SecretCoveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 02:01 PM   #6

I asked my dad the same question before we bought our TT. He said he would never own a single axle trailer again. To my knowledge, he had one particularly bad experience in the '70s that was caused by a series of events: 1) Heinous cross-wind 2) Passing tractor-trailer going significantly faster, 3) Inexperienced driver (my uncle) didn't know how to react to a sway event 4) Likely an improperly configured towing situation. They had to stop on the side of the road and "put the trailer back together enough to get it off the road". This included moving an axle and jamming the fridge back into it's designated installation location.

I asked my brother the same question and he responded that he would never own a single axle trailer based again on one particularly heinous experience (I didn't get his story, but it could have been the very same experience my dad had).

Personally, I don't put much weight in their opinions. Back in those days my dad and his siblings had a tendency to do things ... well, let's just say "not exactly right". Half a mule would be about right without getting too "dirty".

I believe (IMHO) that with a capable tow vehicle and a properly configured weight distribution hitch and sway control, and a properly loaded trailer and tow vehicle, a single-axle trailer can be perfectly safe. Otherwise, it doesn't matter whether there's one axle or two; if it's not right, it's not likely to be very safe either.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 05:21 PM   #7

I've had my 185RB up and down mountain passes, passed by big rigs, passed big rigs, been in moderate wind with no problem yet w/ the rig in my sig line.

2006 Chev Silverado Z-71 5.3L H.O. w/ Trailer Pkg

Tekonsha Primus IQ Controller
Roadwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 05:34 PM   #8

I had a Cub C160 single axle hybrid trailer, pulled it with a Honda Odyssey minivan and later a 1/2 ton. There was no issue at all with towing or handling with either vehicle, including a couple of trips across the Rocky Mountains. The only issue was it bounced a lot driving slow over bumps (parking lot speed bumps, texas gates, potholes, etc) - enough for things to fall out of the cupboards. Used the security type bars in the cupboards when towing to keep things in place after the first couple of incidents. Not sure if it is the longer trailer or just the fact that we have 2 axles, but we have no bounce issue with the new camper.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:55 PM   #9

We have no issues with our single axle Jayco Sport 165. It has been pulled from Phoenix, AZ to Corpus Christi, TX twice a year since 2010; to Ketchum, ID and Seattle, WA many times; to Norfolk, VA this past summer.

We do not use a weight distribution or sway bar; drive about 65mph; pack bearings and change tires each spring.

The big issue on single axle is weight. Keep her light. The reason your sales person expressed concern is - his commission will be more if you buy a bigger trailer.
muelldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 07:00 PM   #10

We also have the 184bh that I tow with 2012 jeep liberty. Once I got set up with the proper wdh with anti sway it tows like a dream. I looked at the 17 before I bought a new 184bh. It was a real nice camper that anyone could be happy with but the floor plan and function just worked better for us on the 184
chrisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:03 PM   #11

I have towed many single axel trailers in my day, they are fine. Make sure you are traveling at a reasonable speed and you will not have a problem. Next time you are out on the road just take a look at how many of them are out there. Just about every boat trailer, utility trailer, uhaul trailers and some campers all have single ax trailers.
slabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 01:54 PM   #12

Thanks everyone for your comments and input. I am now comfortable with a single axle and just ordered the X17Z which should be in around the 1st of March.
Can't wait.
powhatanone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 05:32 PM   #13

Congrats, you will be very happy. I think that comes with the dexter easy lube axles which is a nice feature
chrisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 01:18 PM   #14

TommyBoy, in regards to a brake controller, we do have electric brakes on TT with a "controller" inside our truck.

I was not able to reply to your question elsewhere so this was my choice.
muelldawg is offline   Reply With Quote