Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-19-2014, 12:10 AM   #1
Lost in the Woods

Consumer Reports that Chinese Tires are No Bargain

https://autos.yahoo.com/news/consume...130000473.html
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 05:36 AM   #2

I make a concerted effort to NOT buy Chinese manufactured goods, it seems that there is no effort to ensure quality and/or safety in any Chinese made product...IMO.
Oscar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 05:40 AM   #3
Lost in the Woods

I will not consume anything from china. The candy the kids get at Halloween gets all tossed that is from China.

But material goods (electronics, Led's and things like that) I will buy if it is cheap enough. The longevity may be lower but somethings made in N.A. are cheap as well
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 05:51 PM   #4

The Chinese can build high quality products... or they can build cheap junk. All depends what you ask for. Most of the Chinese made goods we get here are designed and ordered by North American companies. Want a Blue Ray player with a dealer cost of ten bucks or a tire with a dealer cost of twenty bucks? They will build it.

I don't blame the Chinese for that. You get what you pay for.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulx213 View Post
The Chinese can build high quality products... or they can build cheap junk. All depends what you ask for.
A good example is that there are those who complain about Chinese tires and then buy the Goodyear Marathon ST and guess where most, if not all, are made, China.
Old 09-21-2014, 07:43 AM   #6

A local tire retailer talked me into a set of Toyo tires for my 2002 CR-V. I try not to by Chinese-made stuff but did not bother to check these first.

They were fine for a year or so, until the uneven wear pattern appeared. The wheels were not out of balance nor was the alignment bad. They just wore unevenly and resulted in a ride like one of the pickups you see with the large off-road tires. They even had that same rumbling roar from the tread vibration with the road surface you hear when one of those pickups passes by.

I have learned to check the sidewalls of any tires. I run Metzeler ME880 tires on my motorcycle. Mine were made in Brazil. A buddy recently bought a set and was surprised to see that his were made in China. I'll switch brands when mine need replacing.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 07:52 AM   #7
Site Team

Last time I checked you could not buy a US made ST trailer tire, but that was a few years ago, may have changed. Most are from China, The Maxxis are from Thailand.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 01:49 PM   #8
Site Team

Nothing has changed on STs.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 03:05 PM   #9
Lost in the Woods

Maxxis has manufacturing facilities in locations including Yuan Lin, Taiwan; Xiamen, China; Kunshan, China; Rayong Province, Thailand; and Vietnam. I'm not sure where the ST tires are made. I think I read somewhere Taiwan in a state of the art facility.
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 04:12 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwsmith111 View Post
Maxxis has manufacturing facilities in locations including Yuan Lin, Taiwan; Xiamen, China; Kunshan, China; Rayong Province, Thailand; and Vietnam. I'm not sure where the ST tires are made. I think I read somewhere Taiwan in a state of the art facility.
OK thanks for clarifying that.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 04:47 PM   #11

The fact of the matter is that US consumers are not able to by American made products anymore. Wages stay the same as groceries and gas skyrocket, but foreign labor just gets cheaper and cheaper. Not trying to stir up a hornets nest, but the average person just trying to scrape by can't look at the "made in" label, they just look at the price tag. FWIW, not sure that "made in America" means better quality. It used to, but those days are gone.
Old 09-21-2014, 05:17 PM   #12

I agree, I won't buy Chinese tires, however I recently bought a Chinese made petcock (fuel shutoff valve) for my motorcycle for $40.00 Honda wanted over $200 for the replacement OEM part.

I received the part in a little over 2 weeks, and it appears to be identical to the OEM part.
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BH sold
Yamaha EF2000is Generators (2)
1996 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 05:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiltDog View Post
The fact of the matter is that US consumers are not able to by American made products anymore. Wages stay the same as groceries and gas skyrocket, but foreign labor just gets cheaper and cheaper. Not trying to stir up a hornets nest, but the average person just trying to scrape by can't look at the "made in" label, they just look at the price tag. FWIW, not sure that "made in America" means better quality. It used to, but those days are gone.
Actually foreign labour just keeps getting more expensive. Countries like China and India are becoming more modern fast and the people there want the same things we want. And you don't get that for pennies a day. More efficient plants and lower taxes are often a bigger draw now then cheap labour.