Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-19-2014, 12:15 PM   #1

Jay Flight 28BHBE vs white hawk 28dbsh

So I thought I made up my mind and was getting the white Hawk , But after some reading about how the front fade's and delamination on fiberglass sided trailers, I started looking at the jay flight 28bhbe it has the same floor plan as the W H and look's to have a bigger shower " that a ++ " and I can get the second air condition with 50 amp service " that"s another ++ "
Of-course the fiber glass side's are more appealing to the eye , but I what something that will stand the test of time

So what are your thought about the difference in construction on these 2 units,

thank you
mike
mikebrls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 12:20 PM   #2
Lost in the Woods

I though you were concerned about weight?

that one weighs an extra 700 lbs

plus the beds are wider in the WH...that is a huge plus

I wouldn't over think fiberglass...tons of us have them and love them
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 12:29 PM   #3
Lost in the Woods

plus if you have small kids like I do, you or your wife will appreciate the tub instead of a shower.

that's one of the reasons I bought my X17A is because of the tub
Old 09-19-2014, 12:45 PM   #4

My opinion

My previous TT was fiberglass exterior... and after 5yrs, even if I was taking extra good care of it, the fiberglass started showing signs of fading and becoming dusty to the touch

I moved to the 28BHBE and I'm happy... no more fiberglass for me (unless it's an upscale gelcoated like on the motorhomes)

I find that the metal exterior last longer, and they can be worked on more easily... a fiberglass sandwich walls needs to be fully replaced if there's ever an issue with it

As for the beds, my 2 boys love their 48'' wide beds. How wider are the WH???

And the shower, I really appreciate the large shower that the JF gives us... a tub mught be nice but even though I had a 2yo when I first bought my first TT, we never used it...it was always a shower...WAY easier and faster!!!

Not sure how the WH is built (in the walls) but I know my previous TT was an all aluminium structure...and over time, woth the travels and the shaking, I had many things inside that weren,t holding anymore... I had to redrill holes to reattach stuff!!!
1200/12,000 Equal-I-Zer Hitch
Salsa03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 01:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbhybrid View Post
plus if you have small kids like I do, you or your wife will appreciate the tub instead of a shower.
We have found that a Rubbermaid tub works wonders camping. We can take it outside and give a bath with the outside shower and not be cramped in the small bathroom. Also, the shower in the 28BHBE is large enough that you could use the tub inside the shower as well.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 01:32 PM   #6
Site Team

The Jayflight is also available now with smooth sides. No idea if there are fading issues with those as well. The Jayflight has 5/8 tongue and groove plywood floors over 2x3 wood joists 16" on center, not the foam/luan sandwich floors. Its also the leading selling TT in America, according to the Jayco website, and leads our TT poll by a large margin. There are many happy Jayflight owners here, as well happy as White Hawk owners!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 01:41 PM   #7

My 2013 White Hawk 30DSRE has some fade but no delamination at all. Is the fade annoying... yes. Is it really just cosmetic... yes pretty much. My trailer has been excellent in all other aspects. I wouldn't allow the risk of the front fade sway me from what would be best in all other ways if it comes down to it.

I wrote a fairly in depth review of my White Hawk covering the good and the bad. This is after about 18 months of ownership.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/sh...=30dsre+review
newbold1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 02:03 PM   #8

The 28BHBE was also on my list. At the end of the day we were willing to sacrifice the U-shaped dinette and larger tub for more storage in the 28DSBH. You can't go wrong with any of the trailers with that plan as long as your Tow Vehicle can handle it.
Old 09-19-2014, 05:38 PM   #9

I think my T V will be the deciding factor , Ram 1500 so It looks like the white hawk will fit in the weight scale better ,

THank' you all for your help and incite
mike
mikebrls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 10:29 PM   #10

The White Hawk may be ultralight, but it's handled itself very well on extended road trips. We have close to 9,000 miles towed on it without any mechanical issues this far. Good luck on your decision!
Old 09-20-2014, 11:00 PM   #11

I do not think the Whitehawk's bunks are bigger than the 28BHBE either..... it's almost exactly the same layout, as noted. We went with 28BHBE but in part that was due to pricing. I will say however that I have small kids (5yo, 2yo and 1yo) and I actually LOVE the shower. I managed to put all of them in and still get in there to bathe them; I just had the small ones sit down like it was a tub. I love the giant shower so much.
kodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 04:36 AM   #12
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodes View Post
I do not think the Whitehawk's bunks are bigger than the 28BHBE either.....
the bunks in the whitehawk are 6 inches wider. that is why the bathroom is smaller
Old 09-24-2014, 10:53 AM   #13

Ah, I get it! I honestly didn't notice a difference in "feel" when I climbed into both. Interesting!
Old 09-24-2014, 10:56 AM   #14

The other thing i like about the 28BHBE is that the slide has windows on the short sides, not just the long sides. They don't open but it's nice to have more natural light.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:15 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbhybrid View Post
the bunks in the whitehawk are 6 inches wider. that is why the bathroom is smaller
True, but, speaking from experience, that bigger bathroom is worth every inch. We use our shower at least every night when we're out and it's absolutely wonderful to have PLENTY of room in the shower stall.

Also, the WH bunks are 6" shorter (74" as opposed to 80") And I can tell you that I'm 5'10" and my feet hang off the end of the 74" short queen bed up front, I would have to curl up, sleep diagonally, or let my feet hang out of/off the end if I were sleeping in the bunks in the WH. My brother and his DW slept in the bottom bunk of our 28 BHBE one night and there were no complaints, but that could be just because they were glad not to be outside on the ground...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodes View Post
The other thing i like about the 28BHBE is that the slide has windows on the short sides, not just the long sides. They don't open but it's nice to have more natural light.
+1 This is actually a big benefit IMHO. It doesn't seem like much, but they do let in a lot of light. And there's the added benefit of the increased view. They're nice to have.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote