Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-13-2014, 10:29 PM   #1

NASCAR----Texas Motor Speedway

Any one else heading out to Nascar on Nov 2 @ Texas....first time for us
, any advice for newbies.
Milin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 05:36 AM   #2

take gobs of money...
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 05:41 AM   #3

Have fun. If you forget anything...no problem...stores on site. If your going to run a generator the exhaust has to be higher than your RV. They sell adaptors for this on the www. It will be crowded and noisy.
Ustabslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 06:09 AM   #4

Go as early as you can. I always schedule vacation days around and go to the track on Wednesday.

The Brookshire's tent was not there in the spring, and TMS is still non-committal as to whether there will be a grocery store there or not in November.

If you need to empty your waste tanks or fill your water tank while you are there, there are plenty of guys running around in trucks that can do it for a free. If I remember correctly, it is $25 to fill the fresh water, and $40-$50 to empty the waste tanks.

There are also a couple of RV repair guys onsite all weekend. I've got their phone numbers if you need them. I believe their service calls start at $100.

Which part of the campground will you be staying in? I'll be in Lone Star Circle on X Street.
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 04:39 PM   #5

We'll be there...been going for the last 4 years camping at least once each year. Went went in the spring and the camp ground was a mud hole but still had a blast! Always do!

We are in Lone Star Circle as well...AA street.

Never heard of a generator exhaust adapter to be higher than my RV either? Heck, I can't think of one time I've ever seen this? Something new since the spring race?

As far as first timers go...it's Halloween weekend so I'd imagine it will get pretty rowdy in parts of the CG. I've seen ATVs wreck into a port-o-potty (blue stuff everywhere) to full on dance floors between RVs. It really depends on where you are camping but typically the outer areas get the rowdy folks from my experience.

We are heading up on Thursday and then leaving Monday. I don't remember a lot of folks being there on Thursday but if pulling in Friday (Saturday is even worse!), be prepared for long lines getting in the CG and backing your rig to the spot.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:45 PM   #6

Thanks everyone!......we are truly excited to be heading up there...just got tickets today for the race...I still need to make the reservation for the trailer. ... (tomorrow)...and we will be somewhere in the Lonestar Circle as well....we will be heading up Thursday and departing Monday....we figured for it being Halloween things might get crazy...looking forward to that..
great advice everyone!
Old 10-14-2014, 04:47 PM   #7

...one other thing...when taking 35W to get to the track, make sure NOT to drive through the interchanges during rush hour. We sat up there a couple years ago for close to 2 hours!!

Make sure to pull in to the track around 3 at the latest...maybe 4 but the earlier the better. We are leaving around 830 (from San Antonio to miss Austin traffic) and plan to be there around 230. Typically we can make in 6 hours or less when pulling the TT.

There is a Camping World just south of the track too so don't pay $45 (heard as high as $65) to empty your tanks if you can pull it for 30 or so miles. Cost $15 to dump at Camping World (plus break up some of the solids!). You can fill up with fresh water too if once again, your tow vehicle can handle the extra weight and the TT isn't overloaded. There is a dump station at the track but the line is never short!
Old 10-14-2014, 05:52 PM   #8

I waited in line to fill my water at the track one time. Never again. I always fill the water before I leave home, and I dump the waste tanks when I return home.

The guys that roll through the campground emptying and filling tanks perform a valuable service. I've had to use them once. If you've got a lot of people using the water and the bathroom in your camper, four or five days can be a real challenge. If you run out or fill up on Saturday, paying these guys is money well spent.

The wild late night stuff happens on the east side of Lone Star Circle, back toward the highway. There is usually a loosely formed parade down that main road there. Harmonson Road on this map:

http://www.texasmotorspeedway.com/do...p.pdf?sfvrsn=0
Old 10-14-2014, 05:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Deuce View Post
We are in Lone Star Circle as well...AA street.

We're neighbors, only three blocks apart
Old 10-14-2014, 06:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by etex211 View Post
We're neighbors, only three blocks apart
We camped right next to the pond in the spring...mud everywhere with all the rain. Moved up a bit for this trip but still close enough to the restrooms and track. Should be a great weekend with all 3 series running.

Think we'll buy season tickets for everything next year to preserve our camping spot and seats...both seem to be good plus Indy cars and trucks in June which we haven't been too yet.

Once there we'll have to have a cold one...
Old 10-14-2014, 07:45 PM   #11

Sure. I'm at X67. I like that location. I've had that spot for the season for several years. One of my buddies is right next door to me, and I've got more friends across the road. I try to arrive around noon on Wednesday. I take all afternoon on Wednesday to set up, and then I relax on Thursday. My wife can't get as many days off as me, so she usually arrives Thursday evening or Friday afternoon.

We always buy cheap seats for the Sunday race. I can usually come up with free or very cheap seats for the truck and Nationwide races. I won a pair of truck tickets from Winstar in a drawing a couple of weeks ago, so I've already got that covered. I don't have any Nationwide tickets yet for this time, but I've got a couple of friends usually hook me up with some free tickets from O'Reilly's.
Old 10-15-2014, 04:23 PM   #12

Sounds good...we are in AA9. I have season tickets to the races so got all of that covered just end up finding a camping spot each year.
Old 10-21-2014, 03:35 PM   #13

Ok....countdown is on and so excited. One more ? For all you Nascar vets....do we need to rent a scanner for the race. We are sitting on the frontstretch but still unsure if this is necessary.
Also we will be in the Lonestar circle on AA street
Old 10-21-2014, 03:49 PM   #14

Yes on scanner.. I buy
on eBay when I go then resale. Cheapest way to go.
Ustabslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 05:30 PM   #15

I've got a pager sized Raceceiver and ear buds that I use. I just put it on PRN (channel 0) and leave it there.

What you get on the PRN channel is their network feed. They are pretty funny during their commercial breaks. The biggest benefit of listening to PRN during the race is that you will get explanations any time somebody pits early, has a problem, etc.

A Raceceiver like this can be bought for about a hundred bucks. It can be bought from any place that sells race car parts. These are used by drivers at short tracks all over the country to get directions from the scorer's tower for restart lineups, etc.

Here is a link to the Raceceiver at Day Motorsports in Tyler:

http://www.daymotorsports.com/proddi...s+all+over+the
Old 10-21-2014, 06:05 PM   #16

Been going to races for years and never used the scanners...guess they are worth it but just never used them.

They announce the race but you cant hear anything when the green flag is out...typically I use my cell phone and use the NASCAR Mobile app to listento different team radios.

AA street huh...we are neighbors! You still heading up on Wednesday?
Old 10-22-2014, 06:02 AM   #17

We will be there, row N of the Lone Star circle for us. We upgraded from regular scanners to the ones with the intercom and would do it again in a heart beat.

Aside from knowing what is going on in the race and listening to your favorite driver, depending on where you are sitting you are going to need eye and ear protection anyway.
mdpolakow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 06:33 PM   #18

We are a couple days from heading out...going to get the TT from storage tomorrow to cool the fridge and start packing. We leave Thursday morning...should pull in around 2 or 3 in the afternoon. Looks like awesome weather for the weekend.

Who is ready for some racing and camping?
Old 10-27-2014, 06:43 PM   #19

Have a safe trip....we will be there by Thursday morning....to excited, did all the shopping today! We're ready!
Old 10-28-2014, 03:11 PM   #20

For the uninitiated, attending a Nascar race and camping out is NOT outrageously expensive. More than staying at home? Sure but so is sleeping thru the weekend or knitting a sweater. Race tickets are on par [pun intended] with a round of golf at a nice course. Camping can get a bit salty but there are better prices a few miles from the tracks. Attending a race is less expensive than taking your family to an NFL game and eating / playing the night before the game.

Of course if you're not a racing fan, its a waste at any price. So is anything else if you're not a fan. There are a bunch of people that think we're nuts for buying an RV and "camping".
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote