Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-15-2022, 02:07 PM   #1

Changing 2 propane tanks to 1.

Keep in mind that I've never owned a trailer, and all prior RVs had permanent tanks, so if this question has obvious (on non-obvious) answers I would still like to know.

What is involved in removing one tank (on a 166FBS in this case) to reduce tongue weight? With a 12V refrigerator and warm/hot weather travel I would expect my propane needs to be minimal.

Is it just a matter of removing one? Can the remaining one be centered? What else am I not thinking of?
Past: 2015 Winnebago View, 2004 Blue Bird M380, 1990 Blue Bird WB40, 2003 Safari Zanzibar, 1998 Safari Sahara

DonBr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 02:12 PM   #2
EJH

The mounting platform likely has indentations to support two side by side tanks. If you are getting 2x 30 lb tanks, you could always step down to 2x 20 lbs. You can also just not have the tanks filled all the way. You can also remove one, but the weight will be slightly off center (not a big deal)

Even when on shore power, we will often use the water heater in gas and electric. It recovers much quicker after showers this way, and also heats much quicker from cold on gas than electric.

You are talking about reducing the weight 15-25 pounds by removing one tank (assuming that tank is empty). Doesn't seem like much for tongue weight.
Old 06-15-2022, 04:22 PM   #3

If you want to reduce tongue weight and keep both tanks, just rearrange things in your trailer. Store more stuff in the rear of your trailer when travelling and that will reduce the tongue weight too, same as if you removed one propane tank.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 06:58 PM   #4

Simple solution is to just leave the 2 tanks and only use/fill 1, leaving the other empty. The added weight of the extra empty tank back where it is off from the tongue would be minimal to the tongue weight. I doubt its even measurable in pounds, at the tongue.

You can remove a tank and have just 1 tank in the current side by side mounts. Nothing wrong with that. But now you have a dangling unused propane hose. You may want to re-plumb that into a single hose.

To center a single tank on the frame, you would have to either purchase a new single mount, or fabricate one yourself (obviously).
dxrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 07:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonBr View Post
Keep in mind that I've never owned a trailer, and all prior RVs had permanent tanks, so if this question has obvious (on non-obvious) answers I would still like to know.

What is involved in removing one tank (on a 166FBS in this case) to reduce tongue weight? With a 12V refrigerator and warm/hot weather travel I would expect my propane needs to be minimal.

Is it just a matter of removing one? Can the remaining one be centered? What else am I not thinking of?
Keep in mind that if you reduce the tongue weight too much that you can create an unstable condition. Not that a single propane tank would make much difference, but certainly if you do that and other things and your tongue weight gets <10% of the trailer's weight, or close to that. (recommended tongue is around 10~15% of the trailers gross weight, for many RV's).

Do you have a weight distributing hitch? ~CA
Old 06-15-2022, 07:49 PM   #6

Yes, not too heavy, not too light. My guess, though, is too heavy in a 166FBS is more likely to be the case. I do not have the trailer yet, but I will have an Andersen hitch on Friday. I'm one of those who doesn't leave anything to chance if I can help it, so I'm going to buy an inexpensive (relatively) hitch scale, and put the trailer on a CAT scale so between them I will know where I stand (loaded for use).

I have a lot of experience with my own low use of propane, and that was with standard absorption refrigerators. Weight has never been a big issue before, though. When you have a 50,000 lb Blue Bird Wanderlodge you don't sweat the small stuff. That is the past, the future is definitely different!
Past: 2015 Winnebago View, 2004 Blue Bird M380, 1990 Blue Bird WB40, 2003 Safari Zanzibar, 1998 Safari Sahara

DonBr is offline   Reply With Quote