Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-18-2014, 03:49 PM   #1

Considering Jayco Eagle 314... have ????s

Hi Everyone,
New to the site and brand new to RVing (haven't even bought our first TT yet) but I'm torn between a Heartland North Trail (32BUDS) and the Jayco Eagle 314BDS. So far, nobody I have talked to has been able to tell me what the differences between the two are and if either model has a relative advantage (they are both around the same price). I'm beginning to lean toward the Jayco Eagle, but wanted to get others' opinions.

One point of consideration, I am military and soon to be stationed in Alaska (Fairbanks). Although I won't try camping in the winter, would still like to camp in the Spring/Summer and early Fall so cold weather protection is important to me. Any advice or pointers would be very much appreciated!

Thanks so much,
Jeff
JWPickler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:29 AM   #2

Hi Jeff & welcome,
I have a 2013 Jayco 314BDS and love love love the trailer (great for big families like mine) -- let me start by saying I have NOT seen the Heartland in person (only pics on the internet) so please take my comments for what they are worth:-)

While the Heartland looks like a very similar floor plan, they are very different in many ways (in no particular order):
1) The Jayco 314 has a 2nd outside entrance for the bathroom (the heartland does not) -- this is a huge plus when you have kids (so they don't have to go through living room/kitchen each time want to use the bathroom) and can also be used as emergency exit f/ rear bunkhouse if needed
2) The Jayco 314 has a ladder in the rear bunkroom to access the "door-side" bunk over the outside kitchen (the Heartland does not)
3) The Jayco 314 has a upper/lower pantry in kitchen right next to the stove (the heartland does not) - it appears the heartland sacrificed the pantry in the kitchen for a linen closet in the bathroom??
4) The dry weight of the Heartland appears to be about #1000 lighter (per specs) -- this may be a factor depending on what TV you have
5) The Jayco 314 has a fiberglass front cap which encloses 2-30lb propane tanks (the heartland does not - it has 2-20lb tanks housed outside on the A-frame tongue
6) The Jayco 314 comes standard with a thermal package (enclosed & insulated underbelly - good for 4 season camping) - not sure about the Heartland
7) The Jayco 314 has a 3" magnum truss curved roof - this gives an added 2+ inches of headroom inside and is great for rain runoff (the heartland roof does not appear to have any curvature)
8) The Jayco 314 spare tire/wheel is mounted under the trailer on a "crank-down" (like your automobile) - the heartland spare is mounted on the rear bumper
9) The Heartland has a small LCD TV mounted in the rear kitchen (the Jayco does not)
10) The dining room table appears to be about 6" narrower in the Heartland (hard to tell from pictures)
11) The Jayco 314 has twice the freshwater capacity (76 Gal vs. 36 Gal for the Heartland) - good if you dry camp a lot
12) The Jayco 314 water heater external access is between the 2 slideouts on the backside of the trailer (the water heater is on the "door side" for the Heartland???) - this may interfere with the placement of the patio picnic table

These are just a few of the first differences I noticed off the bat....hope this helps start you off in your search....please PM me if you have any more questions.
Honda EU3000is
DW, DD x 2 (10 y/o twins), DS x 2 (8 & 6 y/o), and "Oscar" the Weiner Dog
rtbreeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 04:25 PM   #3

36 Gal of fresh water capacity is BRUTAL for a trailer that size!!!
SkyBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:51 PM   #4

The Jayco has a 2 year warranty, the Heartland has a 1 Year warranty
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:06 PM   #5

I also have the eagle 314 and love it. I made friends with a salesman and a service guy at the dealership and they both said, "If you're gonna get one, get a Jayco." so that's what I did.
Merrellroofing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:10 PM   #6

We bought our 2013 Eagle 314BDS last Feburary and traveled more than @2500 miles with it last year and all I can say is that we love it and couldn't be more happy with it. We get compliments all time in the campground. Love that they are family owned and of course the two year warranty.

2017 Ford F-350 Lariat Ultimate 6.7 CCSB
2016 Jayco North Point 375BHFS
EricRom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:51 PM   #7

Thanks to everyone for the responses - this was very helpful. I love that the RV community is such a supporting group of people. I definitely think the 314BDS is the one we will go with - just excited to get started and join in on the fun. Thanks again!
JWPickler is offline   Reply With Quote