Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-24-2014, 08:00 AM   #1

Tips for traveling with kids!

Hi everyone, I'm new here and new to this whole RV thing My husband and I just bought a 2014 Jayco Jay Feather 228 and are planning our first trip for a couple weeks from now. We have 2 4.5 year old and an infant. I was hoping that some of you more seasoned travelers might have some good tips and tricks for me to try. It is important to me that the first trip is a success, so that my kiddos stay excited and love this new investment we have made!

Thanks!
RVMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:04 AM   #2

As a first-time expectant father (October), I'm also VERY interested in what the community has to say about this! I grew up outside, and it's important to me that I pass that on to my kid(s), and the only way to keep it going is if they have fun.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:57 AM   #3

I think your answers are going to vary wildly based on the individual kids - I have a 5 year old and a 3 year old. They are bith very different in how much "planned activity time" they need to stay out of trouble.

I know that I can get about 60-90 minutes of good driving time before they need an activity to break it up.... Even if it just stopping for breakfast or lunch. It takes about 2 hours to get to our seasonal site so I usually leave one hour before a meal and then we have no issues on the way up.
turkii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:33 AM   #4

Having 3 of my own and gone through this with all of them starting at 2 and births, shorter trips are easier and will make a more enjoyable experience for all. Planned activities are good and all, but lets face it that hard plans always go south when it comes to kids. Naps, not interested, hungry you name it. I have found that keeping it on my radar and then springing it at the time worked better so that no one was let down if it doesn't happen. Typically the older ones.

First I would suggest you take your kids to the park or playground while someone sets up the site. It's safer and easier. I keep my kids in the TV until we are set or unhitched under certain conditions if no park is available.

Next I always have bubbles and chalk on hand. Kids can't resit either and they can do it for hours. Cards, bikes and board games are favs now too, but with your ages probably not there yet. A favorite DVD or two for dinner prep or rainy day is a must have too.

Screen doors and steps are a hazard and should be kid proofed IMHO.

Sleeping we did pack-n-plays and kid proofed lower bunks.

Feeding was a portable folding high chair that was light weight and transported easily.

Just roll with it and try to do to much out of gate until you get in your groove. A frozen or chilled heat and serve meal helps too.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:15 AM   #5

Welcome RV mommy. You should join our 228 group, there are about 12 fellow 228 owners in the group and we share topics specific to our model. As far as travelling with the kids we have an 8 yr old and 4 year old. As much as we try and limit these types of toys when we are travelling we get the kids setup with their iPads, we also have a portable DVD player so they can watch a movie or two while we travel. Planning a lunch break at a mcdonalds or somewhere that has a playland helps them blow off a little steam as well. We have made numerous 8 hour trips with the kids and they have handled it well using these options. The tip of sending them to the playground when you are setting up is a great tip. We do this, my wife takes the kids to the park, I do my setup part and then she comes back and does her thing inside and I take the kids back to the park.

Jayco 228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:18 AM   #6

I went from Ottawa to PEI 3 years ago with my sons (4 and a 7yr old)... took us 2 days of travelling, 1350km (850 miles) to get their and 2 days to come back.

Don't expect them to be admiring the scenery... Depending on their age, some might sleep a little...

Our trick was leaving very early.... 7AM both days.... we had a rule... you can get a movie on your own personal little DVD player after 1hr of driving...

Then we would have a stop for gas and a stretch and leave again...same rule 1hr of driving then a movie...

They were pretty good... but by 2-3PM they were getting fed up with the driving!!!!

This year we will be doing a similar travel to lenght for our summer vacation... but they now have tablets in addition to the DVD players...that keeps them busy...

But you could also resort to the Gravol approach.... puts them to sleep for a little while if they are too agitated...LOL!
1200/12,000 Equal-I-Zer Hitch
Salsa03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:27 AM   #7

We have a 4 year old and 2 year old. For the ride there, we do a variety of things, ranging from books to toys to watching a DVD on the portable player to their Leap Pads.

Once we get there, I set up and my wife will take them for a walk or over to a playground or something. While it'd be quicker to have both my wife and I setting up, we find that the kids get cranky if nobody is paying attention to them and that just makes everybody cranky.
sirrealone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:58 AM   #8

We have 3 -- 8,6,2. Oldest 2 are girls and 2 yo is son. They just love being outside a day. We give the 8 and 6 a bit more freedom to explore on their own around the campground so they really like the independence. They almost always meet another kid or two to play with -- which has helped us as adults meet new people too.

Last year for the youngest we brought along an 8 sided play yard we set up as place he could be on his own a little and we not have to worry about fire pits or him wondering for the 1 min our back is turned.

We do keep a mesh bag in the trailer with some beach/sand toys that comes in handy whether we are at the beach our mountains. There are several board games in the trailer -- Jenga is the most popular with them. We also take bikes for everyone (2 y/o is obviously in kid seat) and take a few rides together. Part of older kids independence is being able to ride by themselves a bit. Very rarely do they get to watch movies/tv inside. Maybe if the weather is bad or late in the evening as they go to bed we will turn on something.

Every kid I know loves camping -- assuming the parents are too uptight and restrictive. We are vigilant about safety, but want them to look forward to the trips as much as us -- so far that has been successful.

Keep in mind these trips are as much a vacation and escape for the kids as they are for the adults. Because of this they special treats they wouldn't get at home -- maybe an occasional soda or piece of candy.

You're kids will love it.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:02 AM   #9

Oh one other big hit with our kids is making "coffee can" ice cream during a couple of the summer trips. You might want to google it. It's super simple and the kids love sharing something they made.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:51 PM   #10

Methods for keeping the kids entertained during the drive will vary with each kids interest.
As far as set up at the CG goes, when the kids were small my wife would take them to the playground as I leveled the TT, hooked up the water, sewer and electric lines, opened the slideouts and awning. As they got older they were drafted in helping me set up camp.
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 07:29 AM   #11

Thank you everyone for the great ideas! I will plan on taking the littles to the park during set up and loosely planning some activities for them. I am with many of you on the television thing--I did not invest in this home away from home so they would have a tv to watch in nature! Hoping to limit that as much as possible, but will let them watch while driving. Most of our trips this summer are within a few hours of home, but we do have one big one from Colorado to Arizona where we will be gone a week. By then we will have a couple of little trips under our belts, so hopefully it will be smooth!

Thanks again for the advice
Old 04-25-2014, 07:32 AM   #12

Jayco 228- How do I find the 228 forum?
Old 04-25-2014, 08:33 AM   #13

It's in groups. I use tapatalk and I am not sure how to find it in the new setup? On your computer there should be a heading at the top somewhere that says community and then in the drop down groups. Maybe one of the moderators could help? Maybe they could tell me where to find it in the tapatalk app as well? It a great group, we are all very passionate about our 228. I might be pulling mine out of hibernation this weekend if I have a chance.

Old 04-25-2014, 09:00 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayco 228 View Post
It's in groups. I use tapatalk and I am not sure how to find it in the new setup? On your computer there should be a heading at the top somewhere that says community and then in the drop down groups. Maybe one of the moderators could help? Maybe they could tell me where to find it in the tapatalk app as well? It a great group, we are all very passionate about our 228. I might be pulling mine out of hibernation this weekend if I have a chance.
I can't seem to get to the Texas group in Tapatalk either...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 04-25-2014, 09:55 AM   #15

I will try and get some tips from the mods and get back to you CamperBob and Jayco
Old 04-25-2014, 09:58 AM   #16

Camperbob- if you go to the Community link at the top of the page, and click on Social Groups, you should be able to find the Texas group there. I can actually see it just sitting down on the bottom right, but had to use the search tool to find the Colorado group.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:52 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVMommy View Post
Camperbob- if you go to the Community link at the top of the page, and click on Social Groups, you should be able to find the Texas group there. I can actually see it just sitting down on the bottom right, but had to use the search tool to find the Colorado group.
I'll give it a try when I get back to my iPad this evening.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 04-25-2014, 12:55 PM   #18

Camper bob... In tapatalk go to the top right three dots ... Select web view and then you can get to community, etc. thanks RV mommy you helped me figure this out.

Old 04-27-2014, 05:44 PM   #19

the coffee can ice cream is a great idea! We actually have an ice cream ball from REI that we should toss in the trailer, would make great entertainment. We'll be camping with 3 kids under 5 so anything to keep them occupied sounds awesome. I am definitely concerned with what to do with them during set up. Last year when we had the tent trailer, we left the kids in the car while we set up, but it was a reasonably quick setup so I'm not sure if they will be as thrilled this time around.
kodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 12:22 PM   #20

When our kids were young, we tented it. We would give them tasks to help us. Go get the tent stakes...grab the hammer, etc. Our daughter is the older one so we would have them gather some light kindling and stack it by the fire pit. She is the one who still gets the fires going! For boys, Tonka trucks are a must! Our kids are 22 and 17 now and they still look forward to camping as much as we do. We never had TV or dvd players. Nature was the TV! Biggest thing I find with kids is they want to help so give them menial tasks and they are happy. We camp with a couple who have a 3 yo. My wife and I either take him to the playground or we have him bring the wood blocks for leveling. Keep sending him around to other sides. He also loves to help my wife setup the inside items while I am doing the outside. He also loves to help us do dishes after meals as well. We make it fun for him.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote