Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-13-2014, 06:05 PM   #1

Water Pressure Regulators

How important is it to use one? I own a cheaper plastic one as well as a more expensive brass one. I really do not like using them because they kill the water pressure for showers and such.

Thank you.
Tim
Aceffemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 06:34 PM   #2

Get an adjustable one with a gauge. We bought our last trailer after the water pipes burst and totaled it. So we got it cheap

DieselX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 06:36 PM   #3

I have a brass one, and while it doesn't "kill" the shower pressure, it does reduce pressure throughout the system, I guess, doing what it's intended to do.....

I would think if the water connection at the CG was not potentially too high for the plastic piping and pipe clamps, you wouldn't notice a difference with or without it.

So I will continue to use mine.

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 06:55 PM   #4

What is the pressure supposed to be?
rlnicholsjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 07:29 PM   #5

I didnt use them but went camping one weekend, set everything up built a fire had a few beverages with friends. Someone asked to use my bathroom, I said sure they came out and said I had water all over in the camper. I went in and yes I did....as it turned out the water pressure at the campground was high and caused one of my water lines to burst. I was lucky it was one that was easy to get to. Long story short I have had one since and would not go with out one. If I dont have one I fill my water tanks and use the pump.
slabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 07:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlnicholsjr View Post
What is the pressure supposed to be?
I have one that I believe is set at 60PSI but its not adjustable.
slabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 07:39 PM   #7

I think I read in the manual that the water pressure is supposed to be 50 psi max...most that I see that are either the plastic or brass are rated at between 40 and 50 psi. With our old trailer I used to turn on the kitchen faucet and set the pressure manually by how the flow looked. It was an Ameri-Camp and had the Pex? tubing and first time we went out blew out a connection in the bathroom. Have yet to hook up campsite water to our White Hawk, but will probably do the same until we get a regulator, I want to get the adjustable type personally...
Lothus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 07:51 PM   #8

Top nipple on my hot water heater is weaping. I have tried everything to get it to stop. Do you think this could be related to pressure?
Old 04-13-2014, 08:40 PM   #9

while doing plumbing work I have seen water pressure over 125 psi plumbing in a travel trailer is designed for around 50 psi I always use a regulator. they also make a high volume regulator. I bought mine at the local camper store.
snapper388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 08:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlnicholsjr View Post
Top nipple on my hot water heater is weaping. I have tried everything to get it to stop. Do you think this could be related to pressure?
It's not uncommon to have the pressure relief valve on the hot water heater dripping when your water gets hot ...doesn't do it until the water gets hot.....it will mention this in the manual that comes with the TT.....mine will drip, run out and down the side of the TT.

2014 Jayco White Hawk 30DSQB Summit Edition, Glacier Package
2012 GMC 2500HD Z71 SLT 4WD Crew Cab...DuraMax/Allison....3.73 Rear Axle.
2014 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71 LTZ 4WD Crew Cab...Vortec 6.0L V8...3.73 Rear Axle..(traded)
2011 Chevrolet Avalanche...5.3L V8...3.42..(traded)
jtownstumpjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 09:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceffemt View Post
How important is it to use one? I own a cheaper plastic one as well as a more expensive brass one. I really do not like using them because they kill the water pressure for showers and such.

Thank you.
Tim
I would pull the shower head and see if it's full of junk and that's why your loosing too much pressure. Normally if we have a pressure issue it's because of junk stuck in the screens on the sinks or shower head. We have been to campgrounds that have to have a broke line somewhere sucking in rocks/dirt ect based on all the crap in the inline filter that's not fresh water. Or it's well water with no filter before it goes to the camper hydrants.
TST 507 flow thru

Livinglife2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:28 AM   #12

The leak that I have is not from the relief valve but rather the 1/2" nipple at the inlet side of the water heater. I have replaced the nipple and have now tried a brass nipple with plumbers putty. It's still weeping. The relief valve seems to be working properly and has also been replaced.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:28 PM   #13

I guess I take a "belt and suspenders" approach. I have a kit I keep together with a 3" pressure gage made for checking water line pressure (with the attached adapter to screw on to the hose bib), a roll of teflon tape, a pair of small slip-joint pliers and an outlet tester and 30A to 15A adapter. One kit allows me to check the water pressure, check the shore power grounding, eliminate leaks and tighten/loosen baulky hose connections.
If I don't need a regulator, I don't use it.
2005 Cedar Creek 31LBHS
2001 Sprinter 303BHS
1997 Mallard 33Z
1990 Starcraft Starmaster[/I]
Bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:37 PM   #14
Lost in the Woods

Water dripping out the pressure relief on the hot water tank is normal. It is designed to do that and it tells you this in the manual. Water pressure regulators are needed when camp grounds have excessive pressure. Water pressure regulators also need to be replaced yearly as they corrode and get gunk in them and don't function properly. I don't use one except if the camp ground seems to have really high water pressure which isn't often. Better to have one and not need it than to need one and not have it.
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:38 AM   #15

Why go through the hassle of testing line pressure? Just use one. The lines in your trailer are only rated to handle 50 psi or so. Some campgrounds have really high pressure. If its high pressure, you'll be protected from damage. If its not high pressure, it doesn't matter.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:00 AM   #16

My dealer told me that the normal issue for high water pressure is it may cause the compression fittings at the tees and valves to fail or leak. Worse yet this often happens somewhere hard to see until additional water damage occurs. I told him that my wife complained of low shower pressure when I used the one I had. He said that many of the regulators are on the low side of 40 lbs. He got one off his shelf and said "use this one and she won't complain, it will be 50 lbs". He was right; she hasn't complained since and I haven't had to worry about excessive water pressure. I guess the moral of the story is to make sure you have a regulator that is closer to 50 and not 40 lbs. At least that was the answer for us.
Linejudgemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:14 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
Why go through the hassle of testing line pressure? Just use one. The lines in your trailer are only rated to handle 50 psi or so. Some campgrounds have really high pressure. If its high pressure, you'll be protected from damage. If its not high pressure, it doesn't matter.

I agree, just use one and forget about it. When i bought mine i hooked it up and it was preset for 50 lbs but is adjustable. I wanted to see what actual line pressure was at our site so started backing off tension and to my surprise line pressure was 90 psi.
That is a problem waiting to happen. I have also seen pressure as low as 30 psi on the same faucet.
So just get you one you can rely on and spend your time enjoying the great outdoors with friends and family.
lx22f/c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:56 PM   #18

Typical water pressure regulator are 40-45psi. By this I mean, most RV dealers will provide you a start up kit with a 40-45psi pressure regulator.

However, most of the newer RV's can handle up to 60psi. That said, there is a newer regulator rated for this (Hi Flow Water Regulator by Valterra- Part #Valterra A01-1122VP). This regulator is rated for 50-55psi. Get this one and all your low water pressure problems will be solved.

Camping world carries it:
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...ead-free/49510

Amazon too:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

TOYOTA TUNDRA 5.7L V8- CrewMax W/tow Package
|TRD Offroad- Bilstein Shocks, PullRite SuperGlide Hitch, Timbrens SES, Tekonsha P3 Controller, BFG A/T Load Range E Tires, RollBak Tonneau Cover|
PKEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:33 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKEagle View Post
However, most of the newer RV's can handle up to 60psi. That said, there is a newer regulator rated for this (Hi Flow Water Regulator by Valterra- Part #Valterra A01-1122VP). This regulator is rated for 50-55psi. Get this one and all your low water pressure problems will be solved.
That is the same regulator my dealer had... as you mentioned our low water pressure problem was solved!
Linejudgemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 04:16 AM   #20

I have hooked up a meter to watch the water pressure as it changes in a state park where I volunteer every summer. Just while you are watching it it would fluctuate between 50-85 so a spot check one time prior to hooking up doesn't always mean much. I agree with the above, just hook one up and don't worry about it.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote