Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-21-2017, 01:23 PM   #21

I had to replace mine at about 18 months after I bought my trailer new in 2014. Mine also were leaking from the spot just behind the large propane connection at the tanks. I had them both leaking. It was a Saturday so the dealer shop wasn't open. Luckily the store section was open. They said I could ask for Jayco to reimburse me but I never followed through. I always check before we leave for a trip now.

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 01:48 PM   #22

Thanks Buddy have heard enough! I am going to mix up a little water and soap spray bottle and check mine right now!
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 02:47 PM   #23
Site Team

I posted about the same small propane smell here just a few days ago and have been chasing my tail for 2 days.

At this point, I am pretty sure my whole problem was the rubber gasket in the tanks. I cleaned and resealed all the pigtail joints. Also remembered that I replaced one last year and the other one looks like new. I have 5 or 6 propane tanks that I rotate and both have corroded rubber seals.

Once the tank was replaced the leaks around the Acme nut went away.

My question for the community is: can this gasket be replaced without emptying the tank?
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 02:55 PM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
My question for the community is: can this gasket be replaced without emptying the tank?
I may have answered my own question. https://www.hunker.com/12003020/how-...e-tank-o-rings

Now to find a supplier.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 10-29-2018, 06:11 AM   #25

I bought my trailer used in April this year and its a 2017. First few camping trips I got a whiff of what was either sewer smell or propane while walking on the outside of the trailer but it was very faint and didnt last. I blew it off till 4 months later at Midnight we got a alarm going off while camping with the associated propane smell this time in the main living area. So I closed the tanks and aired the place out and the next day started investigating.

I didnt find any leaks in the regulator/connection area. I followed all the lines all the way back to the rear with the soap solution and nothing. I was starting to scratch my head and then got a very slight whiff again under the kitchen slide out area.

They ran the main distribution line down the right side frame rail and it has attachment points every 10 or so feet. It ended up there was a cut on the top of the line right behind the tires. Kinda like a small circle slice where the soap solution was bubbling. Whats weird is the cut was where is rubs on the bottom of the frame and there wasnt anything sharp there that could have made the cut on the frame.

So I just cut the bad section out and put a splice in and clamped her off since its just a low pressure line. I also put a few more holding clamps on the frame rail so theres less movement of the propane line. Been out camping a few weeks after this fix and no more propane smell or alarms.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 06:22 AM   #26

I replaced mine this spring as I too was getting the smell when lifting the cover. They were cheap enough that I didn't bother to look for or try to fix a leak. No more smell
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 07:49 AM   #27
Site Team

I keep smelling the familiar propane oder in my tank compartment. I have a new theory. I am going to replace every threaded pipe joint with pipe sealer and quit with that thick yellow Teflon tape.

More to come.
Gator roll-up bed cover