Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-26-2015, 08:43 PM   #1

Awning

2010 Eagle 318RLS. Has what I guess is a 15 foot awning. It's big, never measured. The plastic coating is coming loose in one area only by the edge.

This happened after I noticed some issues in it closing even and opening. One side was much lower and not as stiff as the other. After playing around it long enough I kinda got it to work. Guessing maybe one of the tension rods that collapses when it rains is not at 100% causing it to droop to one side.

Using my hand and pushing up on it and it and rolling it in a few times, seems to have helped snap it all back into shape and now it just barely droops...but droops all the same just minimal now.

Then I noticed the plastic peeling off. Can I just duct tape that and move on, as it doesn't seem to be ripped all the way through the fabric, just the coating is coming off?
Cheaperrooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 08:05 AM   #2

Is the plastic coating on the vinyl itself peeling? Is the awning Carefree or Dometic?

If is on the vinyl itself, you can use a product called VLP (Vinyl Liquid Patch) to touch it up. Duct tape might gum up the works when rolled in. VLP, once dry, is a really good fix.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:23 AM   #3

I agree with John about the duct tape. It will only last a couple of months, and will leave a gummy residue that will attract dirt and stick to the other fabric when it's rolled up. Camco makes a clear tape expressly for awnings. It's available at Camping World and (I believe) at Walmart. I'd go that route rather than duct tape.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:08 AM   #4

I had one that had the coating starting to peel, I taped,sealed, but to no avail.
I found some at a reasonable price on ebay,and just replaced it. I had a 16' and I think it was $ 125.00 Very easy to install with the DW helping. Just my .02
Jimw606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 08:14 AM   #5

True.. replacement fabric is not that expensive, and you can youtube awning fabric replacement. Not a hard job.. little time consuming.