Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-02-2011, 08:23 PM   #1

RV Anti-freeze - Loosing faith...

Well today the weather warmed up a bit and I figure I go out and inspect the RV a bit. I fired up the furnace and doing some other tinkering got it nice and warm and notice the p-trap on the kitchen sink is frosted?! Huh??

I looked at the drain for the shower/tub and the anti-freeze I dump in all the drain was partially frozen solid. So I dumped in more anti-freeze and it just filled the drain...

So I took action on this problem. I went back to the house grabbed the tea kettle and loaded it with hot tap water. Went back out to the TT and dumped a bit of hot water in all the drain well it took care of the ice. Now since I lost faith in the anti-freeze I figured I would blow the p-traps out. Well that's easy I grabbed the shop vacuum and switched the hose from suction to blow. Then went drain to drain blowing out the drains. The kitchen drain was easy too. Hold the sink plug in one side and blow on the other and sure enough now all plumbing is water free...

Well except for the little frozen water in the water heater (drain plug out)...
Mopar1973Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:17 PM   #2

How cold did it get there? I know it has dropped down to many degrees below zero for lows here in northeast Nebraska. I haven't checked out my fiver yet, but you now have me concerned since I used RV antifreeze as well.
rvrev2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:45 PM   #3

I did some checking on a couple of RV manufacturers websites, and it seems that RV antifreeze does solidify somewhat at low temps, but doesn't expand, so it won't burst the pipes.

They actually rate the RV antifreeze by its burst point, which for both I checked was at minus 50C (centigrade, celsius whatever it is, that's colder than -50 Fahrenheit). So I think the antifreeze was OK and behaving as it should.

Bill
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:51 AM   #4

Smoker Bill is right. R.V. antifreeze does freeze but does not expand. The expanding is what will split pipes. Not to worry here in Canada mine are frozen for about 4 month's and never split a pipe yet. Hope this eases your mind.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:31 AM   #5
Site Team

You know its cold when your antifreeze freezes. As the others said though its supposed to be good to -50. -Lee
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerBill View Post
I did some checking on a couple of RV manufacturers websites, and it seems that RV antifreeze does solidify somewhat at low temps, but doesn't expand, so it won't burst the pipes.

They actually rate the RV antifreeze by its burst point, which for both I checked was at minus 50C (centigrade, celsius whatever it is, that's colder than -50 Fahrenheit). So I think the antifreeze was OK and behaving as it should.

Bill
Good info. I didnt know this either.

:cool: 2013 F150 STX Super Cab With Factory Tow Package, Inegrated Trailer Brake Control, 5.0 Liter with 3.55 Gears and Posi Traction :cool:
villain2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:17 AM   #7

Well we had one night so far at -25*F but starting to warm up...

Since now I've mastered how to blow all the plumbing clear of water it's just super cheap now... Because I can fire up my plumbing at anytime then shut it down and blow all the line out in a few minutes and be completely winterized... Between the water blow out plug I created and the shop vacuum... Easy...

Now I don't even have to buy anti-freeze now... More savings...
Old 01-03-2011, 11:11 AM   #8

Hey Mopar,

The only caution I'd have for you would be to at least get a little antifreeze into your water pump, both to lubricate the seals and to prevent any remaining water inside from damaging the unit.

If you do that, one gallon would probably last you 10 or 15 years.

Have a good one,

Bill

btw- it's about 65 degrees down here next to the bay near Rockport, TX. I don't need antifreeze. LOL
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:47 PM   #9

The only broken pipe I ever had was the year I used air to "blow it out". Since then I always dump a gallon or more in the tank after it has been drained and then run the pump until everything is showing the color of the antifreeze. This also makes sure the toilet and sink traps are safe. I use the hot water bypass.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:05 AM   #10

So far on the start of this I bought the TT from a dealer in Boise, ID he assured me the water system was loaded with antifreeze. When when you open cabinet and looked at the PEX pipe it was pink. Now the first freeze by accident I hit the pump switch in the bathroom but not the light and here the loud HMMMM from the front. Check again and sure enough the water pump was load with antifreeze and was froze up. This is only 28-32*F weather. Then later on the same day I found the one of the waste valves on the hold tank is leaking or knocked open. Well after pulling the cap I find a block of solid ice in the sewer line. (Just Great)

So at that point the weather was warming for the day so I flush the entire system out including the water heater. Then proceeded with the blow out plug. using 50 PSI air the lines dried out quickly.

Well just thinking all I got to do is add antifreeze to the drains well after now seeing the drain a solid pink block a second time at +25*F I gave up on the whole antifreeze thought so I grabbed a tea kettle full of hot water poured in all the drains then using the shop vacuum blew the sewer line clear.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:48 AM   #11

We had no leak problems at all last spring, our first over-winter year, and our temps dip to minus double digits several times over the winter. I just used regular RV antifreeze from WalMart. BTW, WalMart this year switched to Prestone or Xerex or some major brand of antifreeze and their prices were the highest of anyone this fall. I ended up buying from Ace Hardware, usually the most expensive, but nearly everyone else had the same price, below WalMart.
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote