Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-23-2014, 11:24 PM   #1

X23b and low CCC

We are very interested in the X23b after realizing my TV is not sufficient for some larger TT's. The X23b weight seems more in line with our Durango V8 (Okay, not ideal but better). After looking at an actual inventory trailer, the sticker shows a Cargo Carrying Capacity (CCC) of 674lbs. This unit included 15,000 AC, Enclosed Underbelly, Canadian standard, power package and TV. The full water weight is 400lbs so does that mean there is only 274lbs left for stuff? Has this been a problem for all you X23b owners? Thanks for any advice you may provide.
Kamakazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 05:23 AM   #2

I've got an x23b with all the normal camper stuff in it and have not had any issues. It's been towed all over the east coast. Great camper but doesn't tow the best. I think the smaller wheels are the major culprit. They tend to really follow any groves in the road, especially at speed. I would recommend a sway control hitch with it. We love the camper though, our old rock wood just towed a little better.
Smitty75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 05:26 AM   #3

Yes, any weight added to your TT is calculated as CCC. We don't travel with water in the tank. If it wasn't a matter of CCC, I don't like the idea of that much weight shifting in the tank when we're on the road.

The CCC of our X23B is listed at 652, and it's enough for us to be comfortable. You have to make the weight adjustments to accommodate your personal style.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 09:18 AM   #4

As a point of reference, our X23B (now gone) weighed 4420# loaded with 600# on the tongue. We towed with a Ford Expedition 5.4 gasser and our mileage was in the mid 9's on flat highways and no headwind.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 10:23 PM   #5

Can I ask why you feel the need to carry water? Like you pointed out, that is a huge amount of weight. If you are worried about drinking the water at the various campgrounds, just bring a 3 gallon jug with you for drinking. Or, better yet, buy some bottled water at the local store.

We never carry water in our tank for that reason. These trailers are designed to be lightweight so they can provide a lot of trailer for smaller tow vehicles. And, we weighed our items and are less that 200 pounds -- that includes pots & pans, silverware, crock pots, etc.
Old 12-02-2014, 05:40 AM   #6

If wanting to have water for drinking, I'd agree with the above post; buy a few gallons of it. If you want it for "other reasons" most campgrounds have an area in front where you can fill up (or drain) when you enter/leave.

If you are truly out into the wilderness, then this would indeed present a problem of not having water for showers, toilet, etc.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 09:23 AM   #7

Our older 23b has a CCC of about 900lbs. That said, all loaded for camping, I'd be surprised if we even have 300lbs of stuff in there, so we never worry about CCC....We travel with no water in the tanks; fill up at the campground, and bring bottled water for drinking. Lately we've taken out stuff that we always pack but never use, like the reclining chairs and the portable shelter/canopy--not so much for weight savings, but mostly because it's become a pain to unpack/re-pack stuff that you don't ever use. Junk adds up... We tow with a 2005 Pathfinder--not ideal, but gets the job done.
kvangil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 12:36 PM   #8

I know what you mean about the low CCC. I have never weighted ours. I rarely travel with water in the tanks. There is one CG a friend has a season at and it has the worst water ever, and I do not even want it in my lines. That is the only time I travel with water. There is very little in our unit that we do not use on a regular basis, most of that is extra cups, plates, and cookware.

If the 23B had more CCC, I would consider adding solar and a few additional batteries.

Overall I like the 23B, it tows nicely, it opens up nice an large and it is extremely comfortable for us. I cannot see changing out TTs until the kids are out of the nest.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 07:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvangil View Post
Our older 23b has a CCC of about 900lbs. That said, all loaded for camping, I'd be surprised if we even have 300lbs of stuff in there, so we never worry about CCC....We travel with no water in the tanks; fill up at the campground, and bring bottled water for drinking. Lately we've taken out stuff that we always pack but never use, like the reclining chairs and the portable shelter/canopy--not so much for weight savings, but mostly because it's become a pain to unpack/re-pack stuff that you don't ever use. Junk adds up... We tow with a 2005 Pathfinder--not ideal, but gets the job done.
Wow, is this the truth! After camping with tents for many years, our SLX16 was a breath of fresh air; then we went crazy buying new sheets, pots, pans, dishes, towels, the list went on...it got crazy.
We were sitting outside, I was looking at the outside storage lid; opened it up, and put everything we did not use on the last two trips into the trucks pickup bed. We then went inside and did the same for all 'stuff' we bought and placed in the cabinets that never got used. After all was done, about half the Ford Rangers pickup bed was full! It does indeed add up.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 07:19 AM   #10
Site Team

It is a good idea to go thru the rig at least once a year and evaluate the value of toting every item. I looked thru my tools one time and found I had 3 or more of some screwdrivers and sockets.

All of it adds up to the total.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 10:53 PM   #11

Thank you all for you comments. We will be boondocking at times on our own ranch at this point where access to water is plentiful. I was only wondering about the CCC because I have seen other posts saying that by having a low CCC can fool people. I don't see how we could add 650 lbs that are available. Another question. I really like the x23b but the closest dealer with this model available is 4 hours away. The price is great this time of year. The list price with virtually all options and including dealer prep, Destination is $28,800 and the quoted price is $19,800 including a free hotel room. Should I take advantage of this deal or order locally, wait 10-16 weeks to get it local. Will the local dealers support my trailer?
Kamakazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 09:38 PM   #12

We purchased our X23B for about the same price straight from Jayco via a local dealership. This included the customer package, bbq grill, and destination from Indiana to So Cal. We chose a specific interior color which was not available at the dealership and we got it for the same price. I believe we waited 8-9 weeks. Good luck.
2014 Feather Ultra Lite X23B (sold)
IceOnFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 10:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakazi View Post
Another question. I really like the x23b but the closest dealer with this model available is 4 hours away. The price is great this time of year. The list price with virtually all options and including dealer prep, Destination is $28,800 and the quoted price is $19,800 including a free hotel room. Should I take advantage of this deal or order locally, wait 10-16 weeks to get it local. Will the local dealers support my trailer?
Actually, if you don't need it now, you may want to look at purchasing a trailer at an RV show. Sometimes you get the best deals at an RV show due to manufacturers incentives. We did that with one trailer a number of years ago and the price was just unbeatable.
Old 12-12-2014, 09:32 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakazi View Post
Will the local dealers support my trailer?
That question gets lots of comments. We travelled about 1000 mi to get our X23B (Houston to Orlando). Our purchase was through RVDirect and I think I got a good deal on it. Some dealers will give you service gladly no matter where you bought, others won't even want to talk to you. I think it's a dice roll on how your local dealer will respond. We were lucky with ours, in the 2 years we owned it nothing serious went wrong so I never had to cross that bridge. Our X23B weighed 3880# with gear but I don't have a record of the dry weight.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 04:07 PM   #15

I love my x23b. If your worried about the ccc like stated above fill it with water when you reach your destination. I used to tow mine with full tanks but after reading around on this forum I came to the conclusion that it doesn't make sense to unless where your going you can't fill up. you'll love it once you use it. Good luck with the purchase
05 f150 5.4 v8 (sold)
nwminnesota is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ccc, durango, x23b