Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-01-2014, 07:46 PM   #21

For some reason I can't attach a photo
Branmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 11:51 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branmat View Post
For some reason I can't attach a photo
Give this a try: select 'Go Advanced', and then 'attachments' (the "paperclip") which allows you to upload an image from your pc (using the browse)?

The picture will then appear after you submit reply.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 10:48 PM   #23

Well
Spring has finally reared its head and I have begun messing around with final repairs.
Tested out the propane furnace, works great. Same with the fridge and freezer. Next test will be the hot water heater.
For anyone in a folder climate I do not recommend Allure flooring. It is a floating laminate type of floor. Comes in 1x3 planks and has adhesive I overlaps. Except the friendly Home Depot employee said it was ok for campers. I installed then checked their website and low and behold not recommened! Wasn't too suprised to find the floor had lifted in spots. Managed to get my money refunded at the store after much debate.

My question is this. I have found some wetness again near the front cargo area and water heater. Which is odd because it made it through 3 rain storms last year with nothing?
Just looking for suggestions

Thanks!!
Old 04-22-2015, 06:22 AM   #24

Quote:
Just looking for suggestions

Thanks!!
Based upon my limited experience with the front area of my 2001 23b my first reaction is roof, roof, roof. I found one really bad, and many other questionable areas in the front joint areas of mine. I suppose in the area of the water heater I'd be looking at any seals related to the vent/access panels.

I cut and pulled all the vinyl flooring out of places like the water heater and storage compartments so that I can more easily trace any future leaks. (None so far knock/touch wood.) With the flooring in place it allows the leaks to sneak under the flooring to go unobserved and can make tracing to the source more difficult.

Just my two cents. vic
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:57 AM   #25

Thanks for the reply!!

The roof I looked at in the fall. I re caulked the whole seam at the top just before it curves down to the bunk end. I did this on both sides. I am going to redo around the water heater vent as well. Cutting out the old vinyl by the water heater is a good idea. I welded a bracket underneath it for extra support

What about that trim just below the bunk? Is that just cosmetic

My other issue....the floor has sagged a bit. Prob 1/2" sag as the floor being wet has allowed the wall weight to bow the floor slightly. It's somewhat noticeable at the front door
Why jayco designed a trailer that has supports that extend from the frame but don't actually make it to the wall?!?!
So I am weighing on how to fix that. Whether I jack the wall up a bit at the corner and weld a second bracket underneath or........I remove the floor bolt and place new wood on top of old. Then jack the wall, attach the new wood to the wall from the inside using 2x2 and then rebolt to frame support.

Anyone that has any experience with this sort of stuff would be welcome to chime in. I am flying by the seat of my pants essentially. I have addressed most issues but I want this thing safe. Last thing I want is to be driving down the highway, hitting a bump and watching the wall break free and drop a foot. I've added 4 extra supports from the outside of the frame that extend to the wall. I only put a slight pressure on the underneath of wall to put these in.

Sorry this is quite long winded but any help or advice would be fantastic

Thanks
Old 04-22-2015, 08:05 AM   #26

Quote:
Thanks for the reply!!

Anyone that has any experience with this sort of stuff would be welcome to chime in. I am flying by the seat of my pants essentially.
Thanks
Funny you should mention wall sag... well, maybe funny isn't really appropriate. I flew the same way you mention.

I added support to my 2001 door side as a preemptive strike because I was concerned that my leak compromised wall might have problems.

Some detail is here.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...ort-12743.html

I did some other things which may interest you. An advanced seach using my member name should bring them up for you.

Good luck. vic
Old 04-27-2015, 07:32 AM   #27

Thanks!

Quick question. The work you did around the door... Did you jack the wall back up to original position or just support as is?
Old 04-27-2015, 09:00 AM   #28

Quote:
Thanks!

Quick question. The work you did around the door... Did you jack the wall back up to original position or just support as is?
There was no indication that anything in my Kiwi had settled. I was looking to stabilize what I had.

With any noticed settling I would definitely jack it up into position because the essentially cantilevered supports I suggest probably don't have enough leverage to work against a settled wall to move things up. They should work to hold position once everything is back up in place.

Additional Unistrut channel could easily be added if you think it would help or feel it is necessary. I do try to keep weight in mind with adding structure, or anything else for that matter, to a trailer.

This is a "fix", not a proper restoration. The alternative of tearing the floor and wall(s) out for an OEM type repair was not worth the time or effort for me on my 2001 trailer with limited resale value. My goal was to restore it to reasonable use. Everything I did is working very well. We have enjoyed using the trailer as have all our invited guests.

vic
Old 04-27-2015, 11:13 AM   #29

Mine has definitely sagged a bit. How much I don't know but enough to be seen at the front door by the naked eye. I would say 1/4" to 1/2".
My fear of jacking it back up was that I would make things worse unless it could be done evenly throughout the whole wall.

My other question would be...
At the front support that is just under the cargo hatches. Is your support even with the bottom edge of the wall? I will take a picture of mine if I can but where my bracket is compared to where the outside edge of my wall is...it definitely steps down to the wall.
Unfortunately I don't know what it was like originally and there isn't that many of these 2001's just hanging around to look at.
I also am going to pull the tires this week at some point to inspect/repack the bearings.
Thanks for all your help!! Nice to have the input of someone who has one and has tackled some of the same issues
Cheers!
Old 04-28-2015, 10:54 AM   #30

Quote:
Thanks for all your help!! Nice to have the input of someone who has one and has tackled some of the same issues
Cheers!
I added some information my thread. I hope it helps to answer your questions.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...tml#post295305

vic
Old 04-28-2015, 08:05 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicS1950 View Post
I added some information my thread. I hope it helps to answer your questions.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...tml#post295305

vic
Hi Vic!! Thanks you've been a great help. I will take a few pics of mine tomorrow and post.
Yours appears to be in better shape than mine as far as sag goes. I think I may attempt to use a few jacks at the same time and bring one side up and add supports. Then move to the other. It may not be perfect but again, it's a 2001. I want to make it safe and usable.
I am going to also attempt to repack the bearings (if you have any advice on that please feel free to share) and need to replace one tire that has worn on the inside only.
Also the gap between the wheel well and the tires is pretty small. Not sure if that is normal or a direct result of sag.
Old 04-18-2016, 07:34 AM   #32

Well just a quick update since I last posted here

Had a fantastic camping season with no issues. Spring is here now and low and behold I have some delamination near the back (door side) panel. Very minor but I can see it. I checked my front cargo hatch on the slideout side and it is slightly wet.

I am starting to suspect the actual rubber roof. Is it possible that the roof could be leaking? Has anyone had any experiences with this? I am looking into resealing the whole roof with some rubber roof sealer.

I am getting a bit frustrated with this unit. I solved all the leaking problems (or so I thought) and was good and dry for at least a month. Then back to the drawing board in a sense. I checked all seams and caulking and they appear good.

A dealer suggested the trim along side near the roof which I started to remove yesterday but the putty behind it is in fantastic shape. I dont know where else to look!!!
Old 04-19-2016, 07:50 AM   #33

I just picked up a 02 and have almost the same leaking areas as yours, rear in front of the wardrobe closet and then the front right storage compartment near the door. I also have some delamination going on in the back quarter panel on the door side. Thanks for the post and pictures, I think I will go through and do the same floor work you did and probably add some unistrut to the bottom. Did you cut any flooring out or just lay new plywood on top of the old after you dried and treated it?
Kiwi 23b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 08:34 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi 23b View Post
I just picked up a 02 and have almost the same leaking areas as yours, rear in front of the wardrobe closet and then the front right storage compartment near the door. I also have some delamination going on in the back quarter panel on the door side. Thanks for the post and pictures, I think I will go through and do the same floor work you did and probably add some unistrut to the bottom. Did you cut any flooring out or just lay new plywood on top of the old after you dried and treated it?
New ply over top of the old. I believe 3/8 was the thickest that allowed for 1/4" quarter round trim to be installed around and still allow cupboard doors to be opened.
Make sure to check your marker lights as that was the worst spots on mine.
Old 04-19-2016, 09:01 AM   #35

Quote:
New ply over top of the old. I believe 3/8 was the thickest that allowed for 1/4" quarter round trim to be installed around and still allow cupboard doors to be opened.
Make sure to check your marker lights as that was the worst spots on mine.
Thanks for the info, and I will make sure they are sealed up good. Did you pull the bench seat in the front to get access to the front storage? or just work around it when it was in place?
Kiwi 23b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 01:09 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi 23b View Post
Thanks for the info, and I will make sure they are sealed up good. Did you pull the bench seat in the front to get access to the front storage? or just work around it when it was in place?
Just worked around it.

I am still having issues though. There is still water getting in somewhere. If I had hair I would pull it out.