Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Camping and RV'ing > Campgrounds and Attractions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2014, 05:57 AM   #1

anybody been to honey bear campground in North carolina

My wife and I are thinking about planning a trip down to North Carolina to honey bear campground next April. Has anyone been there and if so which route would be better to take as I have a crew cab dually and a 39 foot tt. Mountains and mountain roads sorta make me shudder lol. PS and if you know of any others in the general area that would be better that would be great too thanks
Paintinfool3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 09:41 AM   #2

I was in Cherokee, NC this past summer and came from the east on I81 to I77 to I40 and through the Smokies Highway.

Where exactly are you coming in from?

I77 is all down on the south bound with one major decend at 7% for about 5 miles. Your TV should handle the area as long as you are resonable. There are runnaways all down the winding pass then it flattens out. Depending on your route will determine the up and downs you need to do.

Have not been to that CG but the area is nice.

Personally I would try to stay as close to Interstates as you could as some of the State roads in that region can be tight especially in the mountains. Always ask the campgrounds for routes too.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 11:00 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply I would be coming from ft wayne indiana probably through ky on 75 .... thats just the route I know best .... wife would like to stay somewhere that the sights arent like a concrete pad with no trees ... to me that isnt camping but some would beg to differ with a 39 foot camper lol ... hopefully some sights to see around the area ... hope that helps
Old 09-23-2014, 04:19 PM   #4

Came south on I-75 today from Louisville down to Ringgold Ga. Been to Louisville for my wife's brothers funeral. Get ready for some traffic. The interstate is under construction from just south of Louisville just about all the way to Tennessee and the road is terrible. Splits so exit lane is on right hand side and thru lane is on left with barricade in the middle. So, if you don't need to exit for awhile, take the left lanes when that happens. They have some serious ruts in their roads, but then again, I guess they all do!

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 06:07 PM   #5

Yeah I know I go down to lexington quite often to deliver cars I have done ... too many of the interstates are really messed up right now ... I am surprised I havent torn my front end out from under the truck
Old 09-23-2014, 09:56 PM   #6

I used to live in NC for many years. During that time, I used to commute between MI and NC so I got to know the highway system well. State highways in both WV and NC can be tricky with a TT. I would be careful with the highways through the mountains if you are unsure of your rig and your driving abilities. Besides that, you'll truly love driving through Gods country.
redenbacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 11:00 AM   #7

We've stayed at Honeybear a couple times, but that was when we were pulling a shorter trailer. We really liked the campground, but I don't know if we can stay there now that we have a longer trailer (WH 33BHBS). If I remember correctly, there is only one 50A site and that site is also the easiest to back a long trailer into. At 39ft, you may be limited to the D-sites (on the map) and those will be back-in. Coming in from Boone and NC-105, the road to the campground a bit narrow and a couple hairpin curves, but manageable.

We had a lot of fun when we stayed there and the Boone area is one of our favorite places. We make it out there 2 - 3 times a year.