Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-29-2014, 08:54 PM   #1

dumping from the left lane

This is a bit of a newbie question buy why don't I see very many people dumping from the left lane at the dump station? Most TTs and 5'ers I've seen have the dump valves on the left side so I assume most people prefer to use a short hose and dump from the right lane.

The last time we were out, I was dumping in the right lane and a guy came up in the left lane. He had some kind of ridgid, expandable sewer hose he slid under the TT and dumped. Other that using another section of my slinky to reach across the TT, are there any drawbacks to dumping from the left lane or is it just a matter or preference or convenience?
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:16 PM   #2
Site Team

Unless there's some issue with the design of the dump station, you usually enter the other side from the opposite direction (just like a two lane road) so you're on the correct side to dump. However, I've seen a number of poorly designed dump stations in my travels that won't allow you to do this. I've also seen a few that are a "driving test" just to get near them.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 05:06 AM   #3
Site Team

Agree. I would never dump that way. I have seen people pull in there when coming in to the CG and use that side. IMO, there are to many opportunities to drip black water on the pavement where it will not flow into the drain.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 07:34 AM   #4

I should clarify that the CGs I have been to all have their stations set up as you leave the facility with the drains in between the two lanes and they are one-way exit lanes.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:05 AM   #5

I've often wondered about this as well. Many of the stations in our state parks have two lanes, one on each side of a small island that contains the "ports" (multiple ports so more than one can dump at the same time). But I would think that in order to do it as safely as possible, you would want your dump valves as close to the port as possible, which would mean approaching the station from the in-bound side. Well, if I'm leaving the park, it's easier to just pull to the outbound side of the station as it is convenient for the way out of the CG. But what if that slot is occupied, as it is likely to be on a Sunday morning? Then I could conceivably go past the station, turn around somewhere and approach from the in-bound side and do my business. Then I would have to go back into the park and turn around to get back out... Sometimes I wonder if it might be worth it to do it that way...

But then I figure by the time I'm done maneuvering around the place, the guy that was there might be done and I would have been better served just to wait for him. And of course, there's the idea of running the hose under the trailer; If I had one of the rigid hose supports OP mentioned, I might consider it, but I don't think I'd do it with just the hose on the ground. Depends on how desperate I was I guess... lots of opportunity for an unpleasant spill...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:30 AM   #6

Suspect there is nothing more to the design of the center island dump stations than in theory anyway it provides for 2 lanes with just a single drain area. In reality the only easy way to use the left lane, is to enter from the inbound side while entering the CG. I've done this when the dump station is located where some of the loops come from that direction. More often the station is located near the exit of the CG like others have mentioned. Unless there is a very 4 or more rvs in line, i just wait my turn.

The reason for the typical design is $$$$$ and certainly not function.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:55 AM   #7
Site Team

I think it was a error if there is no access from the incoming side.

Someone who never camped doing the design maybe...
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I think it was a error if there is no access from the incoming side.

Someone who never camped doing the design maybe...
Could be. One county CG we camp at only has one exit with a lift gate right before the dump station. Everybody has to pass thru the dump station to exit and there are "do no enter" signs as you leave the station. When I was in the right lane and the station and the guy I mentioned before was dumping in the left lane, the people leaving had to drive partially in the grass to get around us...poor planning on the designer's part.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:45 AM   #9

Many of the state parks we go to, allow access from either side of the island (pull in the opposite way). Some also have drains on the left side (across the road from the island) but no concrete curb or water pole. It doesn't look like it is there because it's just a cap in the ground but it is. As far as dumping from the other side and running the hose. I'd prefer not to but I don't see anything wrong with it. Often times it's just one hole in the middle so I'm not how it'd work. If there were two holes in the island, I'd consider entering from the other side.
UPCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 12:01 PM   #10

The ones I have seen with two dump stations in the middle island, you pulled through from opposite directions so the dump station is always on your left. We also have some in Georgia with two lanes going in the same direction but there have always been two different dump islands, still on your left. Have not seen anyplace where you would have to run a hose underneath your trailer in order to dump. You would think there would be some standardization especially in sewer dumps and also water and electric hookups. But of course, if Rv manufactures would put the hookups in the same place, you could have a more standard design. I hate when the water and electric is all the way at the back end of the campsite! But more and more units seem to have these hookups on the end of their units.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote