Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-02-2014, 12:56 PM   #1

New to Jayco and Rving

I had a question about the satellite radio hook up in my Greyhawk. The manual said that I needed a specific tuner from Sirius. After calling Sirius I found out that they no longer make that tuner and none were available. Has anyone else contacted Jayco about this issue?
jvteach77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 03:05 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum. I'm new too. I have a 2014 Melbourne with the Clarion radio. The Sirius tuner needed to connect to the Clarion radio is no longer availableas you discovered. The Clarion is also HD radio ready but that tuner is also obsolete. I just replaced my Clarion with an Alpine that has HD radio built in and the Sirius tuner is readily available.

Al
ALS2643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 11:06 PM   #3

Call Jayco, they may replace your radio.
2014 Greyhawk 31FS with a 2007 Tahoe toad
New setup:
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 with a 2017 Ford Explorer toad
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 09:39 AM   #4

follow-up

It is back at CW for some more punch list warranty repairs and the radio has been a major issue. It can't receive any radio station at my house, which is in a suburb of Atlanta where we get dozens of channels. The DVD player won't show a DVD on the TV's, even though I can hear it playing over the speakers. The Sat radio issue described above. The sound, when playing a CD, fades in and out randomly. It is just a lemon in my mind, until someone shows me how to do all the things it is supposed to do and proves that I'm not doing something right.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:29 AM   #5

jvteach77.......I have had some luck with operating the DVD player. TV remote on..input on AV....insert DVD...DASH RADIO REMOTE...press NAV/AV button, press "enter"...use the touch screen or radio remote to control mute, open, ff, etc.
We are old school so we are content with AM/FM and CDs for audio entertainment. I agree Jayco did not put a lot of testing into this set up to make it easy and user friendly.
Keep updating the thread so we can learn from your experience.
Thanks,
Darrell
'13 Wrangler Sahara...AKAFUN
Roadmaster base plate
Ready Brute Elite towbar and brake combo
D&MAKAFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 02:21 PM   #6

I was able to get the receiver from a custom sterio shop in my area last year. I was told that it was no longer available also. I would get a Sirius auto receiver that will plug into the small plug on the front of your Clarion and when you are not using the motor home take it into the house and plug it in your sterio. The am /fm radio sucks, I can't get much either. when I put my receiver in last year, I just laid the antenna on the dash and it works pretty good. The antenna for the GPS is just laying on the dash and that receives ok. Lots of luck, I know that it is frustrating after spending so much on a unit. My DVD works good, the volume is adjusted from the radio, I use the remote to control mine.
short kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 04:59 PM   #7

Bulldog, you helped me before so I'm back seeking help once again.Jayco Greyhawk 31SF 2015. Messing around with RV while in Storage Lot.
Came across a few issues; All 12 Volt plugs no PWR- checked fuses and Breaker
No PWR to Microwave - checked fuses and Breaker
No PWR in Rear Bedroom TV -checked fuses and Breaker
Ford In Cab lights on Drives & Pass side will not turn off, had to remove bulbs so not to drain Batt.
Ford Entertainment system - Radio Vol knob, will not increase VOL, while turning to increase VOL, the VOL Decreases, turning either direction will only decrease VOL.
the only way to Increase VOL is to use Remote.
Blue tooth does not pair up with phones, but will pair up with my I-Pad.
Sirus Radio - doesn't work, No Sirus ID#, I called up Sirus, they said should have a Sirus ID#, since I get 6 months free Sirus.
CD player works - but again same VOL problem
DVD works - but same VOL problem
Can you shed light on any of these issues.
I'm planning to take back to the dealership
naturespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 01:21 PM   #8

Update

After much back and forth from us to the dealer (CW), Jayco, and Clarion we are getting a new radio. Jayco said they don't do radios and referred us to Clarion. Clarion said they don't replace radios just b/c the part needed to make the Satellite radio is no longer available. The problem is that the satellite radio is only 1 of several things wrong with the radio. CW took the radio out and hooked up a different radio and it picked up AM/FM in the RV fine. They then hook up a different antenna to my radio and they got the same static, so they are replacing the radio as defective. I've been told that we'll get an updated radio that does not need the Satellite tuner to receive the satellite signal. We'll see when we pick it up in a couple weeks, I guess.
Old 11-04-2014, 01:58 PM   #9

jvteach77.thanks for updating on your project. When they conclude that you are not going to go away, they find a way to make things happen. It is obvious the points of inspection are very lenient.
Once received and installed, update us again.
'13 Wrangler Sahara...AKAFUN
Roadmaster base plate
Ready Brute Elite towbar and brake combo
D&MAKAFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 02:44 PM   #10

I'm having problems with my Clarion radio as well, No Sirus Radio and the radio volume knob only lowers the volume no matter which way I turn the knob. I have to use the remote to turn up the volume. I have an appointment with C/W to turn in my Jayco Greyhawk. Hopefully, they will replace radio. Thank you jvtech77 for your comments.
naturespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 10:54 PM   #11

Omg and all this time I thought it was me being a very non tech person. I hate this crappy radio, has a mind of its own. Most non user friendly thing I have ever had. I don't even bother with it on trips, my iPod works, just listen to my music on it.
Old 11-05-2014, 09:33 AM   #12

I would plug in my cell phone and listen to that through the radio, but it is the principle of the thing. I made $$$$$$ for a 2015 that said it could receive satellite radio. Jayco put in a radio that uses a part so obsolete that the part manufacturer doesn't even have any re-manufactured units and a $30 tuner (price when they sold them 2 years ago) is now $380 on e-bay with no guarantee that it works. This is a Jayco/Clarion issue that I expect to be worked out by them. There have been other issues, such as the radio volume going up and down randomly as we were listening to a CD on our last trip. Then the AM/FM radio only picks up one station and that has lots of static when I'm 20 miles from a major city. When I drive the RV home I'm even closer to the city and I get nothing but static. This radio is just a lemon.

Former:
2015 Jayco Greyhawk 31DS
Toad: 2009 Ford Flex
Old 11-17-2014, 12:01 PM   #13

update 11-17-2014

I went and picked up my RV from CW on Saturday. The radio has not been fixed, but I was told that a new radio has been ordered, but won't be at CW until 11/30. I asked if it was the same radio I have now, and thus would still have the tuner satellite radio issue and was told that they didn't know what was being sent by Jayco. Since they didn't know, I'm assuming I'll get the same radio again and be back to square 1 regarding the obsolete tuner.

Former:
2015 Jayco Greyhawk 31DS
Old 01-08-2015, 10:23 AM   #14

Update #2

After 3 delays in the shipment of our new radio from Jayco, we finally have it at CW waiting to be installed. It is the same model radio that came out of my RV, which means the obsolete tuner for the satellite radio is still an issue.

Former:
2015 Jayco Greyhawk 31DS
Old 01-30-2015, 09:09 AM   #15

final update

CW finally received the replacement radio from Jayco and it has been installed. I can receive all radio stations that I could in my other vehicles now. The satelite still needs a tuner, since it is the same model radio as I had before. Jayco said they had some of the tuners, but I'd have to have CW order one for me and price it. They wouldn't even hint at the price. When CW checked for me they told me that for the tuner, antenna, and antenna mount Jayco wanted about $1200.

When I called Jayco customer support I was first told to go to ebay to buy the tuner. I made sure to clarify the situation to the person on the phone. I told her "So what you are saying is that to make the satellite radio work on my new 2015 Greyhawk is that I need to order a used part for about $300 from ebay with no guarantee that it works because the part is so obsolete that it isn't manufactured or sold by SiriusXM anymore. Is that what your telling me?" The person put me on hold and came back and said they had ones to sell but CW would have to price it for me, which I obviously didn't buy.

All in all, I'm still glad I bought an RV, but this has been a real downer having to deal with something like this.

Former:
2015 Jayco Greyhawk 31DS
Old 01-30-2015, 10:36 AM   #16

option

What I once did with a replacement stereo in a truck I had, just had dealer give me the new stereo and I sold it. Those things are spendy. I then bought and installed what I wanted.
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 11:40 AM   #17
WDW

I just looking on amazon the other day and found the tuner and antenna for around $50. That fits our clarion radio. Don't know if that helps. I'm also frustrated with this issue. It seems like the little things are harder than major issues....

Formerly 31FK 15 Grayhawk
Toad: 2015 Jeep Cherokee "The Caboose".

Taking in the sights wherever my Trolley takes me!
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote