Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-15-2015, 05:55 PM   #1

Tennessee State Parks

So I'm in the planning stages of our annual 10 camping trip and looking for some feedback on State Parks in Tennessee. We already booked the KOA in Nashville for the Country Music Festival for our first 3 nights. Now trying to decide on a State Park for the remanding 7 days. Looking for some feedback on which are the preferred parks to camp at. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Old 01-15-2015, 06:23 PM   #2
Site Team

It's been a looooong time (back in 1988) but we camped at Tims Ford State Rustic Park near Tullahoma and, while there, visited Jack Daniel's Distillery in Lynchburg. Sorry to say, but there were no "free samples" or liquor for purchase because the distillery was located in a dry county. Only lemonade and coffee were offered at the end of the tour. The tour guide told us that every employee was given two bottles on payday for "medicinal purposes". Of course, things could have changed since 1988.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 07:36 PM   #3

We stayed at Panther Creek State Park in NE Tennessee for several days last October and had a great time. Lots of amenities with plenty of hiking trails.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 08:37 PM   #4

Fall creek falls is a great Tn. SP
fielro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 11:47 PM   #5

Oh buy the way, Jack Daniels distillery now has a gift shop that you can purchase their product, they still have the lemonade at the end of their tour

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 05:54 AM   #6

What about Montgomery Bell. Any input on that one?
Old 01-16-2015, 06:42 AM   #7

X2 on Fall Creek Falls SP, also nearby are Cumberland Mountain SP and Rock Island Sp, both have just been renovated with newly leveled, lengthen sites, WiFi and new hookups. For free samples after a distillery tour check out Pritchard's in Kelso, TN where you will see the ENTIRE process unlike at JD where you actually see very little, or for a better whisky try the tour at George Dickel in Tullahoma and pick up a souvenir shirt - "If you only know Jack you don't know Dickel"!
GeraldNKathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 09:19 AM   #8

I've been to Montgomery Bell a couple times. It's okay. It's not my favorite but it's alright. Some people really like it but I prefer a little more privacy and space than you get there. I would rather stay at Bledsoe Creek State Park in Gallatin, TN which isn't too far from Nashville. If you are trying to remain really close in to Nashville then some of the best and maybe only choices are the Corp of Engineers parks in that area. However, I don't know of any that have a sewer hook-up... just electric and water. Seven Points COE is my favorite in this area but again have to deal with no sewer... just dump station. However, I like it so well that I would typically rather camp there for a weekend than to go to a state park with sewer hook-up. It's on Percy Priest lake and many of the sites are huge and private. There are private campground like the KOA you booked but I personally don't care for most of the private ones around here as I feel they are less scenic and somewhat crowded.

If you are looking for something at a greater distance from Nashville then Falls Creek Falls is one of the best. Defeated Creek is pretty good too and it is a COE but does have full hook-ups. To the south I have heard good things about Tim Fords Lake but I have never been to that one myself. To the NW there is the Piney at the Land Between the Lakes. That is a huge forest service recreational area. The Piney has some full hook-ups but they do reserve quickly so could be hard to get. It's a beautiful area with a number of things to see there. Near the Smoky Mountains I have heard many excellent reviews of the new privately owned Anchor Down RV Resort in Dandridge, TN. And, then there you have the mountains and the things to do in Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge.
newbold1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 09:14 PM   #9

I was at Jack Daniels a couple of months ago and the do have samples at the end of the paid tour. The free tour does not. We got to try Gentleman Jack, Black label and single barrel. Thanks for the heads up on campgrounds we will be going there this fall. We haven't decided on the Nashville area or Gatlinburg.
Old 01-29-2015, 04:06 PM   #10

Well decided on booking the remainder of our trip at Lake Cumberland State Park. Now what kind of sites are there to see in that area. Already planning on going to the falls and the sand caves. Any other ideas. Wouldn't mind checking out some distilleries.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:01 PM   #11

We did falls creek last year, great park with lots of trails. Just make sure you come in the main entrance on the South side of the park
Old 01-30-2015, 12:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkhollywood View Post
So I'm in the planning stages of our annual 10 camping trip and looking for some feedback on State Parks in Tennessee. We already booked the KOA in Nashville for the Country Music Festival for our first 3 nights. Now trying to decide on a State Park for the remanding 7 days. Looking for some feedback on which are the preferred parks to camp at. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Last may we booked the Nashville KOA for June 8th to 15th for CMA Fest. Looks like a great RV Park.

2012 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4 5.7 Hemi 4.10
2015 Jayco Eagle 284BHBE
2009 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 256RKS
2007 Jayflight 20BH
1997 Fleetwood Cheyenne PUP
1984 Rockwood 1080 - PUP 1969 Coleman PUP
gcloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 03:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1wayhighway View Post
We did falls creek last year, great park with lots of trails. Just make sure you come in the main entrance on the South side of the park
Yup, I agree!

Come in the south side even if its a bit out of the way. Not a big deal with a small camper, but the bigger ones is for sure.
Old 01-30-2015, 05:43 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcloss View Post
Last may we booked the Nashville KOA for June 8th to 15th for CMA Fest. Looks like a great RV Park.
Looking forward to being down there for that. Just waiting to see if we can get single day concert tickets for it rather than the 4 day tickets.
Old 01-31-2015, 04:36 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkhollywood View Post
Looking forward to being down there for that. Just waiting to see if we can get single day concert tickets for it rather than the 4 day tickets.
We purchased 4 day passes along with parking at LP Field back in May when tickets first went on sale. Looking forward to the trip even though it is 1000 miles one way for us.

2012 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4 5.7 Hemi 4.10
2015 Jayco Eagle 284BHBE
2009 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 256RKS
2007 Jayflight 20BH
1997 Fleetwood Cheyenne PUP
1984 Rockwood 1080 - PUP 1969 Coleman PUP
gcloss is offline   Reply With Quote