Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-30-2015, 01:01 PM   #1

Can't Decide - Greyhawk or Alante

Considering purchasing our first MH. Had my eyes for a couple years on the Greyhawk 31DS, but I just noticed the Class A Alante 29L and it's clouding my thought process.

Not a lot of info out there yet on the Alante. Comparing specs implies the Greyhawk has more bells & whistles (JRide, Hydraulic Lifts, etc.) whereas the Alante is a bit more basic, but I do like the swivel seats and more open area that come with a Class A. Both are within a few thousand dollars of each other (after adding on lifts to the Alante, while JRide doesn't appear as an option).

Anyone with any experience with the Alante? How about Jayco in general for Class A's? Thoughts on a Class A without JRide vs the Greyhawk with?
csyrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 08:06 PM   #2

I have the FK now and looking at the Alente 29V, I would've taken the Alante over the FK. More powerful motor, heavier duty chassis, still 30amp, same overall length but better interior space. Larger capacity for all fluids. Better basement storage.

I was curious why you could get the Convection/Mircowave in the Greyhawk but not the Alante?? The oven is a pain to use.

2012 Greyhawk 31 FK
Flat towing a 2008 Miata.
reitrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 10:21 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by reitrof View Post
I have the FK now and looking at the Alente 29V, I would've taken the Alante over the FK. More powerful motor, heavier duty chassis, still 30amp, same overall length but better interior space. Larger capacity for all fluids. Better basement storage.

I was curious why you could get the Convection/Mircowave in the Greyhawk but not the Alante?? The oven is a pain to use.
Those are the things that have me thinking. I am confused however by your oven question. They both have similar wording for Standard Interior Equipment. The pics of the Microwave are similar but not quite exactly the same. The range tops read identically, and the oven pics look similar. Is there something you can point me to that shows the differences? Is the Convention/Microwave preferable?
Old 01-31-2015, 10:26 AM   #4

we had a fleetwood terra class a 34 ft, just traded for a red hawk 29xk has as much room as a class a, but less stuff to go wrong, when towing the class c gets much better mileage easier to get in and out of gas stations and is more accessible to many rv parks, the swivel seats seem great but check and see if you can watch tv from them we found they were usless, also the alienate only has one air con which in hot weather won't cool a class a, another advantage of a class c is the front doors you don't have to go thru the motorhome to get out ie filling gas or the door getting stuck, also the red hawk is much less money, we loves ours and don't miss gps(which i have a cheap one) , led lights and such
walkingeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 10:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by csyrell View Post
Those are the things that have me thinking. I am confused however by your oven question. They both have similar wording for Standard Interior Equipment. The pics of the Microwave are similar but not quite exactly the same. The range tops read identically, and the oven pics look similar. Is there something you can point me to that shows the differences? Is the Convention/Microwave preferable?
Sorry my mistake, I thought the newer Greyhawks came with or was optional the Convection Microwave. I just checked and it isn't. The oven isn't great. I would switch it for the Convection/Microwave and ditch the oven.

Also the Greyhawks have the tankless water heaters but they seem to have many issues. The Alante has the 6 gal dual heat water tank. Better hot water heater IMO. If you're in a RV Park with electricity then you don't need propane.

As to the AC, the Alante and the Greyhawk are roughly the same size interior wise, and the AC works fine in the Greyhawk.

2012 Greyhawk 31 FK
Old 02-03-2015, 03:52 PM   #6

Hi All

I just mover from a Greyhawk 31DS to the Precept 31UL. Yes I miss my doors, the Key less entry, and my BBQ Grill. The J ride and the increased HP is great!
The increased space with the additional slide out is wonderful. I thought I would not use the outside entrainment center but I do. This new Alante has the 362 HP. I suggest you drive both and spend a day in them, then make up your mind. It's a big decision.

Bob
2015 Equinox, Blue Ox Avanta LX
Bobs A Class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 04:10 PM   #7

Congrats Bob. Precept looks good as well.

What year was your Greyhawk? Mine is a 2012 and it has keyless entry.

2012 Greyhawk 31 FK
Old 02-04-2015, 11:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobs C Class View Post
I just mover from a Greyhawk 31DS to the Precept 31UL. Yes I miss my doors, the Key less entry, and my BBQ Grill. The J ride and the increased HP is great!
The increased space with the additional slide out is wonderful. I thought I would not use the outside entrainment center but I do. This new Alante has the 362 HP. I suggest you drive both and spend a day in them, then make up your mind. It's a big decision.

Bob
Your Precept has JRide, but I don't think it comes on the Alante. That's one of my concerns. I think I'm leaning towards the Greyhawk as for my desires, it's positives outweigh those of the Alante.
Old 02-04-2015, 04:32 PM   #9

JRide can for the most part be added afterward. I would drive both before you make up your mind.

Still trying to find a dealer to see the Alante.

2012 Greyhawk 31 FK
Old 02-05-2015, 11:18 AM   #10

reitof

My 31DS was a 2013. This may sound like a small thing but watching TV in the Greyhawk gave me neck pains. The TV located in the Dinette, gives you more seats to watch from. Major disadvantage of Precept is the lack of space to walk back and forth with the slides in. Until you own it, you'll never know.

Bob
2015 Equinox, Blue Ox Avanta LX
Bobs A Class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 01:00 PM   #11

the redhawks have a hot water tank electric or gas, to many problems with tankless heaters. also the less expensive class a is very noisy and very wind sensitive, also check tire prices the greyhawk and red hawk michelins cost about 200,and you can air up pretty much anywhere, the 19 and 19.5 tires take around 100 psi and local tire dealers won't touch them or cannot work on them, also check prices on tires 19s can be very expensive, i know its far away but richardsons rv in california has both in stock might be worth the trip to check them out , they seem to have great prices on the internet
walkingeagle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alante, class a, class c, greyhawk, jride