Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-20-2014, 11:10 AM   #1

Smile Took our Maiden Voyage on 185RB

Hi,

After much complaining and calling we finally picked up our new TT. Because it took so long for the dealer to call back, (while our TT stayed parked on their lot for 2 months), we picked it up on the same day we made plans to meet relatives on a mountain top after the TT pick up.

We told them we were already on our way to dry camp with relatives and had a Diabetic dog on insulin with us.

So when the guy was showing us around our camper, (and my hubby talking to him about other things a mile a minute)), I told him we need the propane tank filled. He said it was already done.

So off we went using our new GPS unit. Even though we new the vicinity of the mountain top, (property our family owns), the GPS took us on a wild goose chase. So a 1 1/2 hour drive took us 3 hours. When we got to the mountain top it was pitch dark and after midnight. I told my hubby to go up the wrong driveway. Well we got to the wrong place and another RV was in the way. We could not turn around. What a fiasco to turn it around by someone who never drove with an TT before. There were deep ditches and logs and everything else in the way. So there I was outside the vehicle yelling to my hubby which way to turn the darn car and TT. I am surprised the whole mountain didn't hear me.

Finally we got out of that driveway with everything in-tact. I must say the TT held up very well and without a scratch, which was impressive. We found the right road, (there was a little sign with our name on it), and attempted to park that darn thing on a flat surface. Our relatives took up the best spots and they were already asleep. We parked a little crooked.

We then tried to turn on the appliances and got nothing. We did not get the A/C to work, the refrigerator to work or the stove to work. Hubby said there was no propane in the tank.

We still had the insulin in a cooler with ice, so we were able to keep it until the morning. But we didn't know how to unhitch the darn thing.

In the morning we were able to put the insulin in more ice. Our relatives had a broken generator, but my hubby fixed it for them. They also have a house on top of that mountain, but it was filled with relatives.

So the whole weekend we mooched off of our relatives, (they're rich), and had a good time.

However, my hubby did not like driving pulling that TT, although a small one, around and told me to find a campsite to keep it all year round. When we finally got to a place where our cell phones worked and my little wifi hotspot worked, I went on Craigslist and found someone selling a campsite nearby. We went. We didn't like the price, but since a lot of rain was expected, we stayed for 2 days--with full hookups. Everything worked with the full hookups.

I called other places and found a nice place to keep our RV permanently 2 hours from our house.

I would have liked to travel around with that darn thing, but my hubby is disabled and doing all that leveling and hitching and unhitching and packing and unpacking was too much for him.

We expect to go visit our TT this weekend. There's a pool so I should be happy. There's also a fair and car show in the town it's in.

My question is, when you got your TT, was the propane tank filled by the dealer?
Maxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:15 AM   #2
Lost in the Woods

you can't run an A/C dry camping and yes BOTH my tanks were filled. You should have turned the fridge on at the dealership to precool while driving then you would have known

edit: what was the issue with the dealership for 2 months on a new unit???
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:19 AM   #3

Both my tanks were full when I purchased my 28DSBH this spring.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:35 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJL1967 View Post
Both my tanks were full when I purchased my 28DSBH this spring.
+1 here

2014 White Hawk 28DSBH
2012 F150 EcoBoost MaxTow (2022 F150 PowerBoost on order)
Reese 1200 WDH / Dual Cam Sway Control
dmward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:01 PM   #5

Mine were filled and I bought it used.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:38 PM   #6

It took so long to get because while we were calling our salesman, we were only put through to his voicemail and never got a call back--even the week after we bought it. Then we needed towing hitches, wires and stuff the dealer didn't sell for our particular vehicle, a 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited with a tow capacity of 3500 lbs. (new models don't have that tow capacity.

The place we did find the parts from were backordered for some, out of stock until
September and one item got lost in the mail. So we had to reorder a couple of things.

When we were ready to pick up the TT we still didn't get a call back. After I complained to their main office I found out our salesman no longer worked there. But they called after I complained to the main office, and said they have other items we need in stock. So we went.

The generators they said they had, they didn't have. They gave us a good deal on one part they had to install themselves. After we got the TT we had to stay in the parking lot so my hubby could install the brake controller, (he's a wire and brake expert).

The money we put aside for the generator has now gone towards the campsite anyway and there we do not need a generator.

In all it took 2 weeks to get the trailer released to us after we were ready to pick it up. The door lock must have been jimmied by someone as it is slightly dented and hard to lock and unlock.

When I completed a survey by them on how I liked their service I asked to be called. I received no call back.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:45 PM   #7

Yes both our tanks were full. Sounds like u all got off to a rough start but hopefully the rest is enjoyable.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:53 PM   #8
Lost in the Woods

Not to sound harsh but I think you could have done a few things to help yourself a bit better. Instead of phone calls why not show up. Instead of getting the RV dealer to get your wrangler set up youshould have gone to your Jeep dealer and have them install the receiver and brake controller then all you have to do is get your hitch drive to the dealership with the money, hand it over hook on and go. Should have all taken a week not 2 months. That's what I did anyway. I relied on Keystone RV to supply the trailer,that is their specialty, the rest I arranged myself therefor knowing it was all correct.

I hope you have the best of luck camping.
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 01:29 PM   #9

We live over an hour from CW and hubby feels he does the best job at installations since he used to work on this stuff himself professionally and even invented a braking system. The brake controller was not the problem though. It was the time it took to get through to them and the fact that they sent us on our way with no propane. (hubby has an ASE certificate, worked at a place specifically that did wiring on vehicles, RV's, etc., and invented the rejuvenating braking system.)
Old 08-20-2014, 08:15 PM   #10

The dealer called and said the tank should have been filled. He is sending me a gift certificate.