Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-24-2011, 10:45 AM   #1

After Market Engine computer chips

I tow my FW with an 04 Silverado 2500HD gas engine. On a good trip I will get around 11.5 MPG. I have seen advertisements for chips promising an additional increase in horsepower and MPG. Knowing it takes gas to make horsepower I do not understand how there would be an increase in MPG. Does anyone have any experience with these devices? Can changing timing and shift points give results like that and if so why isn't it provided by the manufacturer?

Graybeard aka Glenn
"A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it."--Author Unknown
graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 01:14 PM   #2

With a gas engine I really don't think you will notice much difference. If you are getting 11.5 towing I wouldn't mess with anything. They make all sorts of claims and when you don't see any changes they say it is your driving habits or something like that. The only real way to notice any changes is to dyno the truck before and after plugging in the box on the same day on the same dyno.

Diesel engines are another story. Big changes can happen.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 02:35 PM   #3

From what I've read, those gadgets are a scam, and immediately void any warranty or recall claims for the vehicle. Now, to be fair, I've no personal experience with them, but I wouldn't touch them.

2010 JayFeather 23K
05 GMC Envoy XL
McMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:23 PM   #4

Probably no warranty on an 04. I would just use the money for travel.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:34 AM   #5

I appreciate the feedback and pretty well knew what to expect when I posted the question. Someone always has a gimmick to sell. From reading here the mileage I am getting is not that out of the norm. For the miles I drive I can not make the cost of a deisel work for me. I would have to drive about 200K miles to make a break even. The truck may make it that many miles but I have doubts if I would. Thanks for your thoughts.
"A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it."--Author Unknown
graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:09 AM   #6

Power programmers are the way to go. There are several on the market, and can be pricey ($250-400). However, being able to 'tune' your truck's pcm/ecm to provide better mpg (if possible under towing applications), firm up tranny shift points, tune spark and fuel curves, and even change the octane rating to use higher octane fuels for best power possible would be priceless. They do work, and can be used infinitely after purchase. Most also offer diagnostic tools to read codes and reset malfunction lights.
Do some more online research and see what you can find- this may interest you more than just a pre-programmed 'chip' that has limited applications.

2009 JKU TV (Its a Jeep thing...you wouldn't understand!)
2000 Quest 8U PUP
Tyreguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:49 AM   #7

Check Bully Dog.. they should have a programer for your truck... JUST REMEMBER if you use the new found power by driving harder you will not see mileage gains...
Seann
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:41 PM   #8

My local mechanic bought a "power chip" system for his Tow Vehicle and within 6 months, he had to replace his engine. If wondering, the 3rd party "power chip" system drove the insides of his engine too lean. Too lean = more inner heat. More inner heat = bad thing. Especially when under towing loads. Its actually better to run an engine slighter richer than too lean. Many factory engines are slightly rich. NO engine is at 100% perfect mixture at 100% of the time (unless one looks at professional racing engines - that are re-tuned for each race). In his words (based on lessons learned), my auto mechanic tells me to stay away from these "install it and leave it" power chip systems. If one wants a "power chip" system, they must monitor its performance every week. If slightly off, then re-program it ASAP. Thus, ensuring it doesn't unknowingly run "too lean" (which is a bad thing).

From a financial view, these MPG improvement 3rd party mods can cost $400 to $800. If they increase MPGs by 1 or 2 miles (while under load), then how much true cost savings in the long run? In the long run, what is ROI (Return on Investment)? Especially if you plan to keep your vehicle for a 3-5 more years. And, don't forget to add in the time/hassle of ensuring the "performance improvement" computer system is working properly. re: Stop it from creating damage when it does start to fail.

As a suggestion, perform detailed research on your specific vehicle. re: Engine, transmission, rear gearing, air intake, exhaust, wind drag from roof racks, etc. etc. If its factory air intake is the bottleneck, then get a better air filter (or air filter system), if its factory exhaust is the bottleneck, then get a better or dual exhaust system. If factory bottlenecks are in "air flow" restrictions, installing a "super chip" isn't solving the root cause. Do the "airflow" factory bockneck elimiantions first. That's the best bang for the money (invested money).

As you can tell, I did lots of research in this "computer chip" improvement areas. Today, I run 100% factory. And where needed, I might recommend rear axle gearing improvements. For example, go with 373 or 411 gearing - because the "loaded down heavy" Tow Vehcile is struggling too much with its existing axle gearing. IMO, screwing around the sensitivy computer systems on today's computerized vehicles isn't worth it. If one does plan improvements, only focus on pure mechanical changes - like improving rear axle gearing (if its needed). Or, perhaps a better air intake upgrade system (if needed). Or, perhaps a better air exhaust upgrade system (if needed). Each vehicle's performance bottlenecks are different... Not all vehicles will benefit from 3rd party "computer chip" performance upgrades (assume they never fail and never need to be adjusted).

Hope this helps in your research...

Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:04 AM   #9

This may just be my experience and limited to a diesel application which I know some are but it's worth a shot. Since owning my truck and pulling our unit I have done upgrades in steps to see if each really worked. I would strongly reccommend doing each at steps rather than all at once if you do anything.

The last thing I did most recently, 2 tanks ago was change my oil to Mobil 1 full synthetic. I have to date gotten 1.5MPG better in my daily driving which belw me away. Blends don't seem to give the same results. It's a cheap easy mod that you can try. One thing is that you need to make sure your engine is broken in fully before going to this type oil. Check with your mechanic or dealer if your uncertain.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3'senough View Post
The last thing I did most recently, 2 tanks ago was change my oil to Mobil 1 full synthetic. I have to date gotten 1.5MPG better in my daily driving which belw me away. Blends don't seem to give the same results. It's a cheap easy mod that you can try. One thing is that you need to make sure your engine is broken in fully before going to this type oil. Check with your mechanic or dealer if your uncertain.
I use Rotella Synthetic and saw about the same jump on my GMC Duramax.hi-flow airfilter and exhaust mod about all you can do and not start effecting the life of the hi-dollar parts,IMHO
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 11:59 AM   #11

I would never mess with a gas engine as far as programers go. Only adding more displacement will help with gas as their touque is made at higher RPMs.

With a diesel you can mess with fuel and timing and see a real difference without harming the engine. You must have gauges to closely monitor what is going on. The engine I am most familiar with the Cummins is a good example of upgrades for power. 1998 5.9 24 valve engine had 215 horse and around 400 lbs of torque. That same engine in 2007 made 320 hp and 600 lbs of troque. The older engines can be brought up to the newer power levels with a programer. It will not affect the longevity of the engine.

You can add LOTS of power like 500hp and 900 lbs of torque but the result is a lot of problems usually starting with the clutch or automatic transmission. Blown head gaskets and engine failures are common.

In the end it all depends on how full your pockets are and do you want to work on your truck or drive it.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
I appreciate the feedback and pretty well knew what to expect when I posted the question. Someone always has a gimmick to sell. From reading here the mileage I am getting is not that out of the norm. For the miles I drive I can not make the cost of a deisel work for me. I would have to drive about 200K miles to make a break even. The truck may make it that many miles but I have doubts if I would. Thanks for your thoughts.
You make up for the cost of a diesel when you look at the blue book a few year later lol.
DieselX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:45 PM   #13

I hand calculated mine (avg several weeks each) before and after installing my programer and saw a 2 MPG increase after installed. It was hard ( to control urges ) but kept the same driving habits before and after. I avg 10-11 towing and 16-17 daily driving. I knew how much my wife was planning on spending for xmas in 2010 so that was my xmas present, the money was gonna get spent anyways so figured to get something usefull. I believe changing the converter lock points also helps in MPG gain.