Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-17-2014, 04:48 PM   #1

where is the cold.water?

On our first trip of the season and we have hot water but no cold, anyone have any suggestions?
hockeymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 05:00 PM   #2
Site Team

My first suggestion would be to make sure all these valves by the water heater are in the normal use position.

Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 05:22 PM   #3

Thanks Crabman, all of our valves ate in the correct position but it looks like one is broken . All parts places are closed so it looks like it will have to wait until morning.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:32 PM   #4

If you were using a city water hook-up and the sun was beating on the outside hose....you can get warm water through the cold spigot for quite awhile. I usually run the city water hose under the TT to keep the sun off.

Happy Camping!
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 05:48 PM   #5

Not the answer in this case, sun is going down and it's maybe 50 degrees. I wish that was the reason!
Old 04-17-2014, 06:00 PM   #6

Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymom View Post
Thanks Crabman, all of our valves ate in the correct position but it looks like one is broken . All parts places are closed so it looks like it will have to wait until morning.
Which valve appears to be "broken"?
Old 04-18-2014, 03:59 AM   #8

It is not uncommon for the handle to break loose from the ball. You need to remove the suspect valve from the line so you can look down inside it. Turn the handle and CONFIRM that the valve is opening and closing properly.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:11 AM   #9

hockeymom,
Unless I missed it, you don't mention how old your unit is. If it's still under warranty, I'd get it to the dealer pronto for warranty repair. They get really busy this time of year. If it's out of warranty and you've determined the problem is a faulty valve, you can replace the valve yourself. Provided there's enough slack in the affected water line, go to Home Depot and purchase a "Shark-Bite" brand 1/2" to 1/2" in-line shut-off valve. Cut the line just below and above the valve fittings (make sure the water pump is turned off and your cuts are clean and square). Then just push the new valve onto one end of the cut water line, and push the other end into the new valve. (You need to push each line into the valve about 1".) The new valve is 1/4-turn. It is off when its handle is perpendicular to the water line; on when it is parallel to the line. If the water line doesn't have enough slack to connect to the new valve, you can purchase a short piece of PEX and additional fittings to piece in what you need. These things work like magic! I use them all the time when I work on manufactured homes, which also use PEX tubing. They are about double the price of similar PEX fittings, but you don't need that many. They are a lot more durable than PEX fittings, and you can install them easily without any bands and expensive crimping tools.

Hope you are able to track down the problem and get it taken care of.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:45 AM   #10

Hi mcfarmall, that is exactly what the problem was. We replaced the valve, problem solved! Now we're looking forward to a nice relaxing camping weekend. I'd like to thank everyone for theiir responses and sugestions - much appreciated!