Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-30-2014, 01:40 PM   #1

Jayco swift fridge/ac issues

We currently have a 2014 Jayco Swift 185rb and are having a lot of problems with the refrigerator cooling. I have been doing a lot of reading and researching and it appears to be from the wall a/c causing it. Not sure what we are going to do about it yet, the unit is still under warranty so something will have to be done about it. My question is......has anyone out there bought the 195rb. It also has wall ac, but located in a different area. Are there still problems with the refrigerators cooling in this models? Thinking we should just go back to roof mount air.......any help will be appreciated.
kmccart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 01:53 PM   #2
Lost in the Woods

I believe it is from the fact the fridge door gets pulled open is it not?

Not much can be done I guess other than maybe utilizing a strap to attach to the cabinet and go across the fridge door to cinch it tight. Pain in the butt to unhook it every time you need the fridge but it is what it is
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 02:04 PM   #3
Site Team

There was a thread about this same issue here not long ago and the owner ended up having to send the unit back to the factory to correct it and they had to modify something on the frig. I can`t seem to find it now though.....
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 02:12 PM   #4
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
There was a thread about this same issue here not long ago and the owner ended up having to send the unit back to the factory to correct it and they had to modify something on the frig. I can`t seem to find it now though.....
this one?
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/sh...ight=cevcamper

I think the OP has already found it
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 02:18 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbhybrid View Post
this one?
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/sh...ight=cevcamper

I think the OP has already found it
The one I`m thinking of is more recent, from this Summer. Not sure why its not showing up in a search, unless I have the wrong keywords.
Old 08-30-2014, 02:34 PM   #6

Here it is...

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=20885
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 02:37 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
That`s the one, thanks....
Old 08-30-2014, 04:29 PM   #8

Thanks everyone for the replies, appreciate it so much. Apparently Jayco is aware of this problem, it has to do with the window a/c they are mounting in the walls of these trailers disturbing the air flow in the living area and affecting the cooling of the fridge. I will copy and paste the post because it is from a different forum, but explains it a lot better than I can. I guess I was wondering if anyone had a 195rb with the same problem because I haven't seen anything about it on here. Appreicate the replies!!!!!!
Old 08-30-2014, 04:34 PM   #9

Here is the copy and pasted post I found on Woodall's Open Road Forum talking about the same issue......

RE: Fridge cooling fan mod

EnochLight I have been following your posts regarding your fridge. I have no answers for you but I would like to share my experience with you. I have a 2013 Jayco Swift SLX 185RB that has the same setup as yours. I have been dealing with fridge problems for a year and a half now, temps rising to over 70 degrees during the day and dropping to 20 degrees at night. The dealer has tried to resolve the problem with baffles and fans. Finally Jayco sent a transport to come and pick the unit up, Jayco and Norcold engineers spent a month measuring and building custom baffles adding bigger and more fans behind the fridge, then they replaced the fridge and repeated the process all over again. During this time that Jayco had the trailer there was some questions regarding the A/C unit that was mounted in the side wall of the trailer. Jayco figured out that when the A/C was turned on the air flow was disrupted from behind the fridge causing it to not cool, the A/C unit that is installed in these units is a window A/C so it will pull the condenser cooling air from the living space. So Jayco when back to the drawing board, Jayco looked at mounting a roof top A/C but due to the design of the trailer it could not handle the loads caused by a roof top A/C. Jayco tried to seal around the A/C but no luck. So they changed the baffles and fan design one more time. When I got the trailer back last week they completely changed everything behind the fridge. Jayco extended the warranty another year and said it was good to go. We took it out last weekend and the fridge failed again. Since I have owned this trailer I have asked everyone that I came across with a trailer like mine they all say they have some sort of fridge cooling problem. After a year and a half we have come to no other choice but to unload the unit. We are very saddened by having to trade the unit in but now it is the dealer's and Jayco's problem. Like I said I am sorry I do not have any fixes or solutions for you but I just wanted to tell you what happened to us in hopes that you or your dealer might be able to pull some ideas out of our story. Good luck. This is interesting to hear. I just sold our Jayco Swift SLX 184BH with the same set up as yours because the refrigerator would get above 40 degrees during days that the outside temperature would get over 80 degrees. Also, my side air conditioner would not cool enough on those same days as they had installed a 5000 BTU A/C in mine then switched to 8000 BTU A/C units later on in production because they apparently realized the mistake. Unfortunately, I tried for two years to find a solution to the fridge and A/C problems and had to sell it. I did not buy another Jayco this time, as they offered no help with these problems.
Old 08-30-2014, 04:37 PM   #10

http://forums.woodalls.com/index.cfm...7Cpd%7B365%7D%

Another person with the same problem is also on this thread, Jayco did offer to trade with him. Our trailer is currently at the lake in storage, we plan on using it in 3 weeks and will then be bringing it home. At that time we plan to take it back to the dealer armed with all of the information I have learned about this problem to see what they are going to do about it. Wish us luck!! We bought this trailer new to avoid these type problems so I hope either Jayco or the dealer will make it right.
Old 08-30-2014, 04:45 PM   #11

One more thing and then I will stop....promise....the link to the thread that was provided, i was actually able to pm that member and talk about what Jayco did for him and he was very helpful as well, so thank you to him and to all of you! Am hopeful Jayco will make ours right as well.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:12 AM   #12

kmccart,

I spoke to you via PM regarding your trailer. My first choice would be to stay away from any unit that has a window A/C mounted in the same fashion as the SLX series. Since you and I spoke, I have talked to 3 other SLX owners with your problem. I spoke to my dealer, his answer to the whole SLX problem is, I am now be ordering any SLX trailer with the new roof top A/C option. He also when on to say that all of the SLX trailers with the roof top a/c are working flawless and that the problem seem to go away, he had one that he ran the a/c and fridge for a week when the temp where in the high 80s low 90s and he could not get it to fail.

Given the fact that Jayco now offers this line with the standard roof top A/C and that is all my dealer orders the problem is bigger then 185RB model. He also went on to say that he as sold many 2015's with the option and none have spoke of fridge problems.

I do know that he no longer has my old trailer Jayco came and took it and drove off. He thinks that it might be going to Middlebury.

Keep us posted has to what happens.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:35 AM   #13

Thank you so much for the info! I will keep everyone informed about how this plays out with us, it will be interesting for sure as we just purchased our 2014 last summer and to get our dealer/Jayco to trade out for a TT with roof top air might be a chore. One thing is certain, this is definately a design flaw and with any luck Jayco will make this right for us. Like I have mentioned before, our TT is currently in storage at the lake and we plan to use it and then bring it home in approximately 3 weeks. We will be taking it back to the dealer at this time, however, I haven't decided if we are going to wait to talk to our dealer or not. I may take all the information I have learned (again....thank you!)to them and see what they say. Wish us luck!!
Old 09-24-2014, 07:00 PM   #14

Just a quick update. We brought out trailer home from the lake, went to our dealer and discussed the problems we are having with the refridgerator/ac. Also took all the info we could find on the problem to them. Our trailer went back to the dealer yesterday and we are in wait mode to see what happens next. Was curious if anybody else's dealer have stopped ordering the through the wall model trailers and have opted to order the roof tops instead? Thanks for all the great info......will keep you posted on what takes place
Old 11-03-2014, 09:56 PM   #15

Just an update to our trailer issue. Our dealer (who is aweosme!) worked out a deal with Jayco and we were able to trade our 185 out for a 195rb with roof air!! Happy Campers Here and can't wait for next camping season to get here
Old 11-04-2014, 06:31 AM   #16

Ustabslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 02:47 PM   #17

kmccart,

Glad to hear of your progress. Good luck with your new trailer.