Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 07:18 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by skijlw View Post
We have two electric and two hydraulic slides. One of the electrics moves the kitchen. It is quiet and smooth. No problems so far. I read a few [laces that the electric slides should no be stopped and restarted midway. I have stopped midway and had no problems. Don't wait too long as you as you can't get yesterday back.
I had a look at your model. Your kitchen slide is smaller than the model we're looking at. We were going to get the 4 door fridge option. The slide would contain the entertainment unit, fridge, stove, microwave and a pantry cupboard. I think it will be heavier than yours as well as a little longer. Once we load the pantry & fridge it will become very heavy.
The research I have done indicates that most of the people experiencing problems are the ones with the larger heavy slides. I don't think everyone is having problems obviously but too many for my liking.
The RV season for us is very short. I don't want to spend time at the dealer trying to get our slide repaired.
I do appreciate all the feedback but at this time I'm not comfortable enough to take the plunge.
Old 02-09-2015, 07:55 AM   #22

JAYCO does not use hydraulic slides. They use Schwinteck in wall slides and Lippert or Power Gear regular (rack and pinion) slide systems all of which are fully electric. To quote a JAYCO representative when asked, "Our engineers feel that elec is better than hydraulic so we don't use hydraulic systems for our slide outs".

As to the Schwinteck in wall slide, Winnebago also uses them on many units inlcuding their class "A" motorhomes. Most Schwinteck problems arrise when they are stopped part way out or in. They are designed to be run all the way out or all the way in non-stop. When they are stopped midway it can cause sync issues with the two motors.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:19 AM   #23

Grumpy, I didn't know that. I assumed if they weren't Schwintek they were hydraulic. I understand that Jayco would say they're better. I don't want to start a battle but I'm not convinced. That is my opinion now anyway. I didn't have any trouble finding numerous posts on Schwintek slide problems when I did a search. As I said before it seems more likely on the large, heavy slides. There's just too many finicky issues for my liking.
Thanks for the information.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:58 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampscamper View Post
Grumpy, I didn't know that. I assumed if they weren't Schwintek they were hydraulic. I understand that Jayco would say they're better. I don't want to start a battle but I'm not convinced. That is my opinion now anyway. I didn't have any trouble finding numerous posts on Schwintek slide problems when I did a search. As I said before it seems more likely on the large, heavy slides. There's just too many finicky issues for my liking.
Thanks for the information.
You could pick any component on a trailer, Google said part problems, and you would find a million responses. People are prone to complain when they have problems but not when they have good experiences. As I said before, I've yet to have a problem with mine on any trailer we have owned and I have yet to meet someone in person who has. I actually prefer the way my Schwintek slides. It's much smoother and it stops at the end before grinding gears.

I am not trying to be a sarcastic jerk, but good luck finding a trailer built with parts that don't have "known" problems. You won't find any.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:40 AM   #25

I would suspect the larger part of the postings of Schwintek problems are fairly old. I had a problem with my Schwintek wardrobe(smaller) slide back in 2012 when we bought our FW, but after three trips to the dealer, it was fixed and we have used it with flawless results for three summers, after it got fixed. Now watch it quit working now that I have said that. We have had no problems with our larger slide, but it only has the couch and dining table and chairs on it so it's not very heavy.
2013 Polaris Sportsman 550 EXP
2008 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2
Old 02-09-2015, 06:22 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPCamper View Post
You could pick any component on a trailer, Google said part problems, and you would find a million responses. People are prone to complain when they have problems but not when they have good experiences. As I said before, I've yet to have a problem with mine on any trailer we have owned and I have yet to meet someone in person who has. I actually prefer the way my Schwintek slides. It's much smoother and it stops at the end before grinding gears.

I am not trying to be a sarcastic jerk, but good luck finding a trailer built with parts that don't have "known" problems. You won't find any.
I understand what you're saying about looking for problems using Google. I did a search under Keystone forums & another under Jayco. I found numerous complaints of slide problems on the Jayco forum site. Not so many on the Keystone site. I'm not sure why.
Does Keystone use less Schwintek slides?
Do they sell less units with the Schwintek slide?
Do they have fewer members?
It doesn't really matter because I think there are too many issues.
Honestly if you're happy with Jayco that's great. I like my dealer and they sell the model we like. I like the fit and finish of the Jayco. Found a floor plan we love. Still not convinced the Schwintek is a good design for a heavy slide but that's just my opinion. I don't want to ruffle any feathers here.
I have recently spoken to a couple of Jayco owners that had slide problems. That was enough for me to put the brakes on. I wouldn't have a problem if it was a small bedroom slide we were talking about.
My last 5th wheel ended up back at the factory for major repairs. We lost it for several weeks during our peak camping season. Maybe that's why I'm a little reluctant to jump into anything too quickly.
I haven't crossed Jayco of the short list yet. I just need some more time to decide. I do appreciate all the feedback.
Old 02-09-2015, 06:35 PM   #27

I will say my previous experiance with Keystone and Forest River were terrible. That is why I am back to Jayco. In any case, good luck! I hope you find something that suits you and you are happy with. No sarcasm.
Old 02-09-2015, 06:45 PM   #28

I didn't hear much good about Keystone, especially service-wise. I bought a new jayco 5er and have used it one year. I don't have the schwintek slides, but I would not hesitate to buy them. There are possible problems everywhere on an rv, you should purchase what you like and just go with it. Even if you do have some troubles, things always work out one way or the other.
Old 02-09-2015, 06:47 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampscamper View Post
I have recently spoken to a couple of Jayco owners that had slide problems. .
But there are hundreds who haven't.
Old 02-09-2015, 07:13 PM   #30

Or perhaps more than hundreds.
2013 Polaris Sportsman 550 EXP
2008 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2
Old 02-09-2015, 08:02 PM   #31

I suspect part of the issue with large slides is the system keeping it square going in and out. If your support sucks one side could bind up some then you have an issue. I am like you don't want to buy trouble. I have a 07 Jayco and enjoy it but it is the wrong for plan now. And most manufactures use the new s system. Good bad not sure but I assume it is a cheaper system to buy or build for. The rack and pinion system is tried and true but I think it takes up a lot of space, artic fox uses then still and when you look you seed the space taken up by it.

Honestly I'm not sold on it, I don't always have the luxury of only opening a slide when level.

Being a mechanic I like the idea of hydraulic slide and Jacks. Those that say the lightest slide moves first is true but some manufacturers install valves so you can control which ones moves even after the fact it would be easy to do. My only concern with this setup is poorly installed lines rubbing a hole in a hose. I swear if the RV industry spent an hour extra on a unit a lot of issues would never come up.
Old 02-10-2015, 06:53 AM   #32

Thanks everyone. I know there are many happy Jayco owners, perhaps thousands. I hear they offer great warranty service. I'm not trying to say Forest River or Keystone are any better. I don't want to get into a brand war here. In my opinion I think they all have quality control issues. If I'm going to spend a large amount of money on an RV I want to be sure about the decision.
I agree with imjustdave: "Honestly I'm not sold on it". The idea of pushing or pulling a large heavy slide with two small synced DC motors on an aluminum track doesn't appeal to me. Having to make sure you're level, have a fully charged battery and make sure you don't stop part way concerns me also. I do however like the simplicity and serviceability of the design. If the model we're looking at had a smaller, lighter slide I wouldn't hesitate.
Just not convinced it's something I want to take a chance on.
Thanks again for your feedback.
Safe travels.
Closed Thread