Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-25-2013, 07:40 PM   #1

How many of you brew your own beer?

Just curious!

I got a Mr Beer brewing kit for Christmas and finally got around to brewing my first batch. It was an interesting experience ... it took 2 weeks for fermentation to complete and 2 weeks of conditioning (carbonation) (different beers take different times) ... I expect to sample it this weekend. I was looking at the prices of the refills to make another batch, but it looks like it's cheaper to buy a good bottled beer from Costco

So, do you brew your own? Where do you get your malt extract?
Black tank Quick-e Flush, MaxxAir Vent cover, TV bracket and LCD TV, added Slideout awning, bunk ladder, added socket and reading light to top bunk, added bathroom fan switch near light switch, insulated all externally accessible storage, sealed pass through storage from interior of trailer, LED lights throughout, added LED lights to storage compartments
EnricoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:32 PM   #2

I go to a place called wine kitz and buy a box that has everything in it except the sugar....it's really easy and the beer is good but I quit making it because I don't care for the cleaning of all the bottles, I used to use the glass ones. Other than that it's good and cheaper than buying beer, I still make wine though and it's just as easy....maybe in the future I'll get back into making beer again.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:35 PM   #3

Oh yeah I used to buy the cans of malt and it was good that way too just a little more work.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:52 PM   #4

I brew but in 5 gallon batches. I usually buy from Midwestsupplies.com....they have a great selection.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:10 PM   #5

When I was in High School in the 60's my friend and I made 20 gallons at a time in a large crock. Pabst Blue Ribbon Malt, lots of sugar and a little yeast. We never bought them all in the same store so we wouldn't get caught. We made about two batches a month my Jr. and Sr. year.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:13 AM   #6

I've been extract brewing for at least 15 years. There are many quality online sources for equipment and ingredients. One of my favorites is www.northernbrewer.com. I highly recommended investing in a quality 2-stage fermination kit. It will last forever and produce excellent beer.

Cheers!!!

Brad
Z06Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoG View Post
I was looking at the prices of the refills to make another batch, but it looks like it's cheaper to buy a good bottled beer from Costco
LOL, I grow a decent sized garden year round. Even if I don't value my time I can still go to the grocery store and buy everything I grow cheaper than I can grow -- except maybe tomatoes. I don't grow the garden for any reason other than I like too. It's i nice plaec to escape without having to leave.

I would have view brewing beer the same way---of course you can buy beer commercially cheaper; but then are you really brewing for the end product of the enjoyment, sense of accomplishment and the experimentation.

By the way, my roommates and I brewed in college. After a couple months and 3 batches we decided to leave it to the experts. As for cost, I don't exactly recall what brewing cost---but I went to college in Chico, CA the home of Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. We could buy 5gal cylinders for $30 and 15.5 gal kegs for $55. I'm certain it was cheaper to buy beer for us too.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:45 AM   #8

I don't look at brewing from a cost or convenience perspective (it is pretty time consuming), I do it as a hobby and only brew 2-3 times a year. There are 5 gal recipe kits that start from about $30 (makes about 50 beers using 12 oz bottles). I get a little discouraged if a batch isn't to my taste but I can always find friends and neighbors that want free beer.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 11:56 AM   #9

In the fall, myself and a few buddies decided to give all grain brewing a shot. We picked up a few small kits (1 gallon per kit) and made a day out of it. One thing I learned is that trying to make 3 different types of beer with one set of pots is a pain!

Definitely it isn't about the cost savings but more about the experience. 3 out of 4 of us enjoyed the process and will definitely do it again although in larger batches of a single type.

The end results have been great! The beer is very smooth, flavourful and needless to say quite potent (unfortunately we didn't measure the alcohol %).

The bottling process was rather enjoyable once I got the process down. I went with swingtop bottles over capped which probably made it much easier in the long run.

Old 06-24-2014, 11:38 AM   #10

I got a Brooklyn Brew Shop for Christmas. I brewed and waited then drank. The kit I got was an IPA. I will tell you it was good stuff. I was very surprised and happy with the way it turned out.

It is a lot of work for 10 1/2 bottles of beer. I plan on doing another kit although I will get the simpler kit that makes a few (bunch) more bottles.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06Traveler View Post
I've been extract brewing for at least 15 years. There are many quality online sources for equipment and ingredients. One of my favorites is www.northernbrewer.com. I highly recommended investing in a quality 2-stage fermination kit. It will last forever and produce excellent beer.

Cheers!!!

Brad
I echo this, and add that williamsbrewing is also a good source. We now have a great supplier here in missoula so pick up most needs there. We work with whole grains and buy 50lb bag, and mill it ourselves.
We went from small bottles to larger bottles, then to 5gal kegs, the soda keg style. Much easier to clean than bottles.
If you shop craigslist you can build up your equipment over time fairly cheaply.
Cheers!
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:49 PM   #12

Had to give it up for the last 2 years due to just not enough time, space, but planning on jumping back in this fall when the temps get back to more favorable conditions for fermentation. I graduated to full grain, but think a few malt kits out of the gate to get the supply up are in my future.

Going to use my Camp Chef this time around to speed up the boils.

Love those Grolsh bottles. Have about 7 cases of them that I accumulated over three years. I always buy the 4 packs when they are out around the holidays. Sooo much easier to bottle.

They are growing some limited hops around me and I am going to try and get my hands on some to experiment with.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 02:29 PM   #13

Not into beer but do have 3 five gallon jugs of wine brewing. Took up one five gallon jug and it is all gone. Need to bottle the last two jugs. Definitely good stuff. Picked the grapes myself. Loads of work but I still enjoy doing it.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:18 PM   #14

Hey guys, I live in "Beer City U.S.A" - Grand Rapids, Michigan! Don't make your own! Buy "Founders" and support our local economy! (LOL)
Old 06-24-2014, 07:28 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
Hey guys, I live in "Beer City U.S.A" - Grand Rapids, Michigan! Don't make your own! Buy "Founders" and support our local economy! (LOL)
Located 1/2 way between Founders and Bells here. But your right Grand Rapids has some amazing breweries.
r8ingbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:26 PM   #16

Founders is not available where I live.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 05:17 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
Founders is not available where I live.
That's a shame. Can't you get Bells?
UPCamper is offline   Reply With Quote