Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-10-2013, 02:27 PM   #21

@crabman, I don't think the issue here is what I traded my camper in for, but rather how Jayco would not stand behind their product that had a 2 year warranty on it. Like I said before, they acknowledged their was a problem, but said they were not going to spend any more time or money trying to resolve it. I only got that response after paying for an independent inspection that they didn't recognize because they weren't present during their inspection.

@rustic eagle, yes your numbers regarding the CCC of the Coleman CTE 171 are correct, but anybody who has owned an X17Z will tell you it doesn't weigh anywhere close to the 2800# that Jayco claims as an empty weight. The yellow sticker on my 2013 said 3177#. When we weighted it (empty) at the factory it was 3260, allowing me only 240# for cargo. Factor in the WDH added 100# to the trailer axle and I am left with 120# of CCC. At the independent inspection the trailer weighed 3520# with only minimal amount of supplies in the camper, no food, clothes or any bedding. So it was already overweight before I even hooked it up to my TV.

The numbers Dutchman publishes on the Coleman CTE 171 are REAL WORLD NUMBERS, not the games Jayco plays. I will give you an example, the 2013's and 2014 X17Z's have a 3000# axle, but Jayco advertises a 342# hitch weight and a max weight of 3500#. Well, using basic math, if you have a 3000# axle and a max weight of 3500#, then the tongue has to be at least 500#. My tongue weight unloaded was 520#, nowhere close to the advertised weight by Jayco.

This is the most frustrating part, I love that trailer. I did a lot of research, traveled to various RV dealers and looked at them all. I decided on the Jayco, for a few different factors, the warranty, fit and finish and overall appearance. I purchased the trailer in January and first started noticing problems in April after a trip to Florida. From April until November, it went through 3 axles and 3 sets of tires (the 4th set is still sitting in my garage). Then a nonstop battle with Jayco who in my opinion put all of their effort into trying to figure out what I was doing wrong, never once actually considering their might be a problem with their trailer (and their was, including the frame not being square). I was at the point where I had two options, something we cannot discuss on this board, or getting rid of it. There was no way I could look someone in the eye and sell them that trailer, so I took the financial hit.

To be honest with all of you I am not even sure why I am on this message board anymore, Jayco and their products are in my rear view mirror and will always remain there. I just hope if someone else is having similar problems to what I had (and a few members has PM'd me about similar problems they are having), they realize they are not alone. And maybe, just maybe Jayco will start being more honest with their numbers, especially with the smaller trailers where it really matters.
snappypics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:34 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Snappypics,

Enjoy the 2014 camping season with your new camper.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 05:04 PM   #23

We're in the market for a trailer. It needs to be pulled by our Toyota Sienna, 3,500 lbs towing capacity and 350 lbs tongue weight. We have three smallish kids, 1, 3, and 5 years old. I was previously thinking between the 184BH and 16XRB, and now became aware of the X17's, which brought me to this thread. I'm wondering if people think it would be realistic to tow it with my setup (the dry weight is a tad higher than the other two trailers I had been considering)? Also, whether the fact that I have three kids and plan to use the trailer for at least a few years should sway me more toward the X17A or X17Z?

Also, on a more general note, what are the pros&cons people typically weigh about pop out/hybrid trailers like this one (comparing to the 184BH, which is not a hybrid)? I'm not super worried about temperature, since we'll be using it mostly in above freezing temperatures, and we like sleeping in cool rooms, but it would be nice to be comfortable in the evenings and mornings. Do the curtains that block off the beds provide useful insulation, so that everything but the beds stay warm?
jintoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 07:26 PM   #24

jintoku, My advice to you would be to get an actual tongue weight USING A SCALE before you buy.

The curtains help, but I wouldn't consider them insulators.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 10:59 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jintoku View Post
We're in the market for a trailer. It needs to be pulled by our Toyota Sienna, 3,500 lbs towing capacity and 350 lbs tongue weight. We have three smallish kids, 1, 3, and 5 years old. I was previously thinking between the 184BH and 16XRB, and now became aware of the X17's, which brought me to this thread. I'm wondering if people think it would be realistic to tow it with my setup (the dry weight is a tad higher than the other two trailers I had been considering)? Also, whether the fact that I have three kids and plan to use the trailer for at least a few years should sway me more toward the X17A or X17Z?

Also, on a more general note, what are the pros&cons people typically weigh about pop out/hybrid trailers like this one (comparing to the 184BH, which is not a hybrid)? I'm not super worried about temperature, since we'll be using it mostly in above freezing temperatures, and we like sleeping in cool rooms, but it would be nice to be comfortable in the evenings and mornings. Do the curtains that block off the beds provide useful insulation, so that everything but the beds stay warm?
You will get a ton of opinions on pulling hybrids with minivans, and most will discourage it. Dry weights dont matter; look at the real weight on the yellow sticker plus add a few hundred pounds for personal stuff. Personally, I do have a minivan (Town and Country) but would never use it for towing the RV. Think about real-life scenarios, like pulling the 17Z (9.5 ft tall and 18 ft long) in a 30 mph cross wind, in 95 degree weather, A/C going to keep the family quiet, uphill on a 70-mph interstate trying to maintain 55 mph in the slow lane. Tow package, HD transmission cooler, and WDH are key here.
Old 12-01-2014, 02:16 PM   #26

Can I ask a more general question about hybrids? How heatable are they, given the canvas? I'm debating between an X17Z and a 184BH. We're in California, so will be using it mostly in above freezing temperatures, but it would be nice to keep the family warm at least in the evenings and mornings (we're OK with sleeping in chilly temperatures). What do you guys do be warm while eating dinner/having breakfast in the trailer? "Turtle" or just close those curtains?
jintoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 05:35 AM   #27

Mine (Jayco Jay 16SLX) has a gas heater that works off the propane, and heats the insides just fine. I do notice a bit of condinsation that appears on the inside of the canvas on the colder mornings (outside temps in the high 30's). My wife likes it toasty warm; enough so I could cook breakfast on her back!
When we have electrical hookup spots, we bring an electric heater and use that. Our dealer told us we could stick with the gas heater, and suposidly it would last about 3 weeks before requiring a refill.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 08:33 PM   #28

I was about to put an order in for a X17Z, now after reading the various posts I'm totally uncertain what way to go. The local dealer doesn't have any of the models in stock that interest me so its sight unseen.
All good points though, guess I'll have to flip a coin, 17A or 17Z though I do like the idea of having a sofa and more windows.

Question, have any of you had any concerns about a single axle? Not a deal breaker for me but the dealer kind of tried to steer me to a dual axle, however the larger dual axle hybrids would break my budget.

Thanks all.
powhatanone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 01:07 PM   #29

We were deciding between the x17z and z17a and ultimately the x17a won because it has a tub/shower combo. We have a 3 year old and decided the tub would work better for her. Still haven't pulled the trigger on it, but that's the one we're leaving toward.
harpersays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 01:43 PM   #30

Many of us have ' Pop up Gizmos", google it. They go on the tent ends, outside on the roof and really help keeping in the heat on cold nights and much cooler on hot summer days. We camp the Oregon Coast in April-May & Sept.-Nov. and just use a space heater in my EXP21M Hybrid and it stays warm. I don't carry Propane so I have never used the furnace.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 12:29 PM   #31

I know this is late, but we bought the 2013 17a unseen Oct 2013, and haven't regretted it, perfect for the 3 of is
jstor1 is offline   Reply With Quote