Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-29-2014, 05:33 AM   #41

It isn't only butts on the ground at camp sites. Riding around the park in a golf cart with a pick up stick and a trash bucket and I'll get 50-100 butts any day along the roads and in parking areas and that is not riding the entire park. If someone didn't pick these up on a regular basis the entire park would soon look like a big ash tray.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 06:16 AM   #42

Anyone else besides me find a lit one on the ground while going for a walk? It's only been 1 but it only takes 1 to destroy more than just the camp ground your family's sleeping in.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:00 AM   #43

I don't think any smokers use an ashtray anymore. The world is their ashtray. You see it all day long driving, butts flying out of car windows. We all do unhealthy things. I don't fling my hot bacon grease out of a moving car window though..hahahaha
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:23 AM   #44

People don't realize that used butts can be deadly to dogs.... especially small ones. Even if they don't reach toxic levels in your pet, they effect them just like they do us. Increased heart rate, higher blood pressure, etc., etc......the left over nicotine is a stimulant to them and given the right circumstances (hot day, excited dog, etc.,etc..) could very well put them in lethal distress very quickly. I smoke........it's my last bad habit. Can't drink, can't play around.......whats a man to do? But when it comes to my butts, the ash gets knocked off and put out, the butt gets field dressed and goes into my pocket for the trash later.....especially in a CG, on the trail or fishing. I can't stand to see folks just throw them on the ground and walk away and will usually say something to them about it.....usually something sarcastic. My wife says I'm gonna get my butt whipped one day........

Jayco Jay Series 1206
Dodge Ram 1500, Hemi
Lifespalette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 12:34 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie View Post
Most smokers I see or know (not all) seem to think the world is their personal ashtray.
Agreed 100%

Seeing some a__hole throwing a butt out the car window pisses me off enough where I've been tempted to stop pick up the butt, follow the individual to their destination and throw it back through their window. These slobs are a pet peeve for me going back to my Air Force days when I was ordered to police up cigarette butts off the ground. I have never smoked in my life. So I found the task EXTREMELY objectionable and insulting.
Tail_gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 03:44 PM   #46

A good rule of thumb is to leave everything better than you found it. Garbage, butts and doo doos included.
Be a guardian not an abuser.
grandmawoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 03:50 PM   #47

My wife smokes but has never left a butt anywhere. They get stubbed out in the dirt and the dirt scuffed and the butt goes in her pocket. If she someone throw a butt on the ground they get told to pick it up because if she picks it up they'll regret it.
The worst mess I have ever seen was in the High Uinta mountains we were hiking up the trail as 20 boy scouts walked down. We got to their tent site and they had left all their trash strewn about. A typical attitude with the scout leaders in Utah. I was not surprised at those two idiots knocking over the hoodoo (rock) in Goblin Valley State Park.
'04 Dodge Dakota
Rolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 04:49 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by namusmc65 View Post
I for one would not be a campground host! I too have seen what they have to put up with. I always strike up a conversation with our host and all have been very enjoyable. I am sure there are some bad apples out there, as they are everywhere. As far as butts, that is a pet peeve of mine, especially since I don't smoke. Those of us who have been in the military know how to field strip a butt. Those that have not probably don't and don't want to know. They just throw them wherever they happen to be. I hated that duty in the Marines. When it came to police up time, I pointed out the butts to all the smokers! That went over well! My hats off to you campground hosts. I thought about doing that but after seeing all you have to put up with, just decided to sit by the fire and relax and pay my daily fee!

I could certainly be a campground host. I spent two summers when I was in college working at a local campground. I'm an easy going chatty guy and don't remember ever having a serious problem with anyone. I find people camping are either happy or want to be happy. Makes problem solving very easy. Great job when I was young and I could see doing it again when I'm old.

As for cigarettes I'm just glad smokers are becoming rare instead of common.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:22 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulx213 View Post
I could certainly be a campground host. I spent two summers when I was in college working at a local campground. I'm an easy going chatty guy and don't remember ever having a serious problem with anyone. I find people camping are either happy or want to be happy. Makes problem solving very easy. Great job when I was young and I could see doing it again when I'm old.

As for cigarettes I'm just glad smokers are becoming rare instead of common.
If only Bud Lite drinkers were as rare. I can't tell you how many beer cans and bottles I have picked up and 75% of them are Bud Lite.
'04 Dodge Dakota
Rolff is offline   Reply With Quote