Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-28-2014, 11:12 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin149 View Post
Not trying to hi-jack this thread but I've been trying to decide what to go with on bunk end covers. It appears that the differences on the popup gizmos are how they are attached? Is the "standard" blanket part at $40 the same as the "high wind" at $50 and the "super high wind" at $80?

I've even thought about making my own from Reflectix from Home Depot. Attaching to the bunk ends would be a concern, so I'm not sure if I want to do this or not. Anybody made their own gizmos? A 48" x 25' roll is $43.25.
I just have the high wind and I'm just into my 2nd. year and have never had a problem but I've only been in winds of maybe 25-28 mph. I do attach some clips to the front top edge also.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 08:48 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin149 View Post
Not trying to hi-jack this thread but I've been trying to decide what to go with on bunk end covers. It appears that the differences on the popup gizmos are how they are attached? Is the "standard" blanket part at $40 the same as the "high wind" at $50 and the "super high wind" at $80?

I've even thought about making my own from Reflectix from Home Depot. Attaching to the bunk ends would be a concern, so I'm not sure if I want to do this or not. Anybody made their own gizmos? A 48" x 25' roll is $43.25.
When I was researching popup gizmos, I found, using Google, a number of references to people making their own using Reflectix material. They seemed too "mickey mouse" for me and certainly nowhere near the finished quality of a purchased popup gizmo from Bob. I think it is well worth the extra money to get them professionally made; but that is just me! Certainly if you want to save about $50, you can make something like them yourself.

docmarrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 08:52 AM   #23

I forgot to mention, but the basic cover material is the same for all models and looks pretty much like a version of Reflectix. The difference between the three models is the attachment mechanism which is much stronger as you go from the low end to the High Wind Series, which I purchased.

Old 12-29-2014, 04:00 PM   #24

Well, I finally installed the velcro for my new PopupGizmos and they worked great. My wife cam up with the perfect solution to mount the velcro. Just drop the popout base; stand on it (we both did and it supposedly can handle 1600 lbs); install the velcro (both pieces attached) by taking off the cover of the "sticky" stuff and placing it underneath the top opening; open up the whole bunkend to check fit and the installation of the bungee cords; and, amazingly, it worked like a charm. We then left them installed and closed up the bunk end as we are going camping over the New Years with our RV Club.
Oh, yes, we also made up the six necessary Reflectix pieces for the bunk-end windows and are now ready for the anticipated nighttime temperatures of 25 degrees (yes it does get cold in the winter in Arizona!).

Old 12-29-2014, 05:44 PM   #25

I made reflectix window fillers as well. the stuff seems too flimsy by itself so I laminated it to some 1/4" corroplast. Corroplast is plastic that resembles cardboard. going to try them out in central Calif. in three weeks.
jerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 06:20 PM   #26

Reflectix in Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerdog View Post
I made reflectix window fillers as well. the stuff seems too flimsy by itself so I laminated it to some 1/4" corroplast. Corroplast is plastic that resembles cardboard. going to try them out in central Calif. in three weeks.
Well, mine fit very snugly as I cut them exactly to fit and they are not flimsy, especially when I zip up the windows as I put the Reflectix between the inner and outer window. I'll let you know if it keeps the HTT warmer in a couple of days.

Old 03-02-2015, 10:05 AM   #27

Quote:
Just a follow up on this post. We tried the pop-up gizmos and the reflectix window inserts in 38 degree weather in central Calif. a while back and with the help of the furnace, it was really cozy.
jerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 10:18 AM   #28

Well we used ours in 35 degree weather a month and a half ago and it was also raining. We also got a heated bed pad, an electric blanket, and a heater. We were as "stug as a bug!" We've used them a second time in better weather a few weeks ago and they kept us so toasty that we didn't need anything except the heated bed pad for my DW and I only had a blanket (we slept separately in the two bunk ends). It certainly helps to have full hookups. This week we are going to try them out in a dry camping situation with maybe the use of a generator from one of the member of our rv club. It is warmer now here in Arizona so I suspect that we won't have any issues at all. I really like the use of Reflectix and have not found that any other material like Corroplast is needed.

Old 03-02-2015, 10:18 AM   #29

Reflectix

Quote:
Just a follow up on this post. We tried the pop-up gizmos and the reflectix window inserts in 38 degree weather in central Calif. a while back and with the help of the furnace, it was really cozy.
X2

Old 03-04-2015, 06:54 AM   #30

I have to admit, when you said "gizmos", I thought you were refering to things like bike racks, canoe racks, etc.

Then I came accross another thread that talked about covers that are placed on the pop outs, called 'gizmos'. I then got it!

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote