Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-06-2011, 07:11 PM   #1

Weight Distribution

I just upgraded my tow vehicle and need to set up my weight distribution hitch. I have the height set up and I think I have figured out the chains but still not right. The tow vehicle is level but my trailer is high on the hitch end. Not sure how to change up the angle. Any help would be appreciated.

Tow Vehicle - Chevy Traverse
Trailer - 17z
WD - Reese

Thanks
Old 07-06-2011, 08:16 PM   #2

Although I have an Equalizer hitch, there are similarities in set-up. From your description, it sounds like the hitch ball is too high, causing the trailer tongue to be high. I believe the reese head angle is adjusted by rotating a cam washer of one bolt going thru the head and shank combo. I would start by moving the head down one hole in the shank, and rotate the cam washer one step to make the spring bars under more tension.

Also, there is an excellent sticky thread here, describing set-up procedures.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthread.php?t=3172

Others will have comments, I'm sure.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:10 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertscampers View Post
I just upgraded my tow vehicle and need to set up my weight distribution hitch.....snip
As you review the STICKY that "David472" recommended, also posting a side view photo (in this thread) of your WDH with your TV/HTT hitched up will help with any additional questions you may have, and will aid in identifying the model/style of WDH you have as well (round/trunnion bar, etc.).

Don't worry about how level the TV is, focus on leveling your HTT as you are doing. As mentioned, raising and lowering the ball mount addresses leveling the HTT, and tilting the ball mount forward/rearward address the tension placed on the spring bars for proper weight distribution.

Adjust the ball mount tilt such that you have returned the TV's front fender height back to it's "unhitched" height when you have your TV/HTT "hitched" under "loaded conditions". Most TV's will experience a little rear vehicle sag (1" to 2" taken at the rear fender well) is normal once the WDH has been correctly adjusted and spring bars engaged.

Once you have the WDH adjusted under loaded conditions, a visit to a CAT scale will confirm your adjustments and weight limits. The 2nd post in this forum STICKY will walk you thru a CAT scale weigh-in: http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthread.php?t=3169

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:01 AM   #4

Regarding the trailer being level, my recent WDH adjustments demonstrated something to me which I didn't expect. Initial set-up had my trailer down in the front by 1 inch. Although the WD bars were set for proper TV attitude, when towing at 60 mph the steering became a little light (touchy). Once I changed the set-up for the trailer to be level, that effect disappeared. I've been told, this was because the wind was pushing down on the roof of the trailer, increasing the tongue weight, thus raising the front wheels of the TV. Maybe being high at the front of the trailer would have the opposite effect?

What do you think of this observation, Rustic Eagle?
Old 07-07-2011, 01:50 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by David472 View Post
snip.......I've been told, this was because the wind was pushing down on the roof of the trailer, increasing the tongue weight, thus raising the front wheels of the TV. Maybe being high at the front of the trailer would have the opposite effect?.....snip
David,

Interesting observation that I have not considered before, so my comments will be me just thinking out loud.........;

I've been in discussions on the "drag effect" that a TT front cap can produce in concert with head winds, cross winds, etc., but not an actual "downward" effect under similar conditions.

Responding to the condition as you described, I remain open minded and IMO wind effects can influence TV/TT handling in many different ways......, some noticeable, some not. Different TV suspensions, TV wheel base lengths, TV tires, TT lengths, weights, type of WDH, may react differently under the same condition you described.

Assuming that an actual downward wind force was taking place on the TT as you describe, I think it would be unlikely that the ending effect could remain a constant while towing. Also, under the same conditions the TT tongue weight on the hitch ball wouldn't actually increase because of the reactive movement of the WDH flexing as a whole unit. This WDH flexing condition (WDH leverage effect through TV receiver) would be similar to hitting bump in the road resulting in a reaction of the TV's front suspension.

In regards to the TT being tongue high we all know is a major contributor to TT sway, and I have not heard that a downward wind effect would reduce this potential for a sway event.

I would summarize and say that not all TV/TT combinations are created equal, and they all have their own sweet-spot when it comes to "dialing-in their respective WDH.

One thing for sure, a TT is about as aerodynamic as a cement cinder block!

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote