Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-15-2014, 10:05 AM   #1

Here's one for ya, Wet floor in area, where no water is near...

We are staying at a CG that has full hook up for the first time in this camper since we have owned it (bought it early this spring). In our other trips this season, I have noticed that the insulation on the water heater gets wet and the pump cycles for about a second (if that) every hour or so, so I know there is seapage from it, but there is no water on the floor around it and it is tucked under the bottom bunk and there is no water leading from the bunk to the wet area.
I used the shower last night and mostly dried off in the shower (not dripping wet when I exited) and didn't notice any water on the floor in the bathroom either. Directly in front of the shower is a closet and no water there either.
The carpet is "damp" in a 1 and a half food diameter just outside the bathroom and I have no ideas why? There is a 8-12" dry area it seems all around the damp spot.
I turned off the water today to see if it drys out. Any Ideas?

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 06:40 PM   #2

Wet Carpet

I had seepage around my hot water heater connection that collected under the water heater. Check those connection, the water can be running down the hoses and collecting away from the heater.
mohok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 05:58 PM   #3

Thanks Mohok1. After leaving the city water on all day Saturday, the carpet had got wet enough to follow it back towards the water heater. Sure enough, the heater and floor is wet, but not at the connections on the back of the tank. I pulled back the insulation (the old fiberglass style, not foam) and as far as I can see, the leak must be coming from where the tube of the burner meets the tank on the top... After doing a bit of looking online, they don't give water heaters away... Has anyone ever tried to replace the tank? I can get a new tank online for about half of what a complete new unit cost, and it comes with a new electric heating element and pressure relief valve.

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Old 08-18-2014, 07:03 PM   #4

If the tank connections are the same the replacement tank would be the thing. I'd go that way if I had good confirmations on the connects. Maybe the install docs would have those measurements.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 06:29 PM   #5

I have the GC6AA-9E model. I found this http://www.americanrvcompany.com/Atw...per-Trailer-RV which states it should be the correct replacement. I think it may be worth a try. The customer reviews on amazon all say it was a simple install. Now just to convince the wife I should fix it now, and not next spring...

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Old 08-21-2014, 10:00 AM   #6

When we picked up our new camper it had a leak at the water heater, the mechanic said "No problem, they all leak like that" he went on to replace an O ring by the heater. I didn't see where he was working, but it maybe something small like that, that caused your leak. Make sure you need a new water heater.
snookwhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 02:17 PM   #7

The last time I posted, I was in a differant state for work. I had time to look at the water heater again yesterday and this time noticed that the upper of the two hoses was not screwed in tight. Although I didn't see any leak from there when I first diagnosed it, it is deffenitly dripping now and I couldn't find any leak where I had thought it was leaking from. I pulled the connection off to find the rubber gromet inside the screw in side, had rotted away. I went to my local hardware store and found a replacement and put it in last night. SO FAR, SO GOOD. We will be camping starting this thursday through labor day, so I will have a good chance to test it for a few days. The only bad part is, its an electric only CG, so I dont know if the pump will be as much pressure as a city hook up. Wish me luck, Dave

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L