Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-07-2015, 05:57 AM   #81

I only used mine for two days, but really it worked wonderfully so long as you follow the instructions in the book. My wife was besides herself being able to take a long hot shower w/ no care. And to be honest, so was I.

I'm quite pleased its included in the Greyhawk.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 06:04 PM   #82

Our on-demand heater seemed to only work at lower altitudes. While at 7.000 feet all we had was cold water after an initial spate of cold-scald-cold. Hate the d$%&d thing. Will never again buy a RV that has one!!!

Stupid thing works OK once we returned. Should have bought a Dynamax with the 10 gal heater.

2019 Renegade Valencia 38RW
Gone: 2015 Jayco Seneca / 2010 Tiffin RED / ...
Toads: 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited / 2012 Kia Soul
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 06:53 PM   #83
WDW

I wonder if there is an altitude adjustment like the generators have? I've not been in your situation and have not considered the need.

Formerly 31FK 15 Grayhawk
Toad: 2015 Jeep Cherokee "The Caboose".

Taking in the sights wherever my Trolley takes me!
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 07:45 AM   #84

So after our Alaska trip, we have had a lot of variable experiences with it. As you can imagine, FL to Alaska and back in 30 days requires a lot of dry camping unless you have a ton of money to burn. This meant we only showered every few days because a family of 6 with a tank less water heater would drain the fresh water in one session... when in the various campgrounds, we found ourselves having to waste lots of water to find the sweet spot. Does it work, yes. Do I like fiddling with it every time, no. What we have also found is that we likely would need a variable water pressure regulator to make sure the heater gets what it needs. Our last campground in GA we had the scalding on the lowest setting issue, which for me is the final straw. We will be trying the replacement route.

Was it frugal on propane, sure thing. We only had to fill up on the return leg, but could have made it home. It is however very noisy, which doesn't make taking a shower after others have gone to bed too easy as it could wake them up.
2012 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid (our TOAD on a DEMCO Dolly)
DW, DSx2, DDx2 Catx2 Dog
Tampa Bay Area of FL
CarlB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 09:41 AM   #85

Odd, I didn't find ours appreciably noisier than the 6 gallon DSI I had on my prior coach.

I could totally see how the tankless system could be annoying if you are watching your water consumption though. Definitely not the target audience for this appliance.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 07:13 PM   #86

Water consumption is a big deal for us. I use a low flow, high velocity shower head and the low demand for hot water just wouldn't cut it with the tankless. Using only hot water the heater would cycle from hot to cold or if it didn't we had to fiddle around with the temp control too much. Changed out the water heater rather than the shower head. The 40 gallon holding tank will last us for 4 days without either of us taking abbreviated showers.
Old 04-10-2017, 06:48 AM   #87

What does the code E1 mean

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Ron45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 06:58 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron45 View Post
What does the code E1 mean

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
What make and model is the water heater?

A google search said sometimes it means no gas. But that is specific on the brand.

One thing to keep in mind with gas is that if it has been off for a while the appliances will try and start a couple times and then error out. One way to help get gas in the system is to light the stove before trying an appliance. This will draw in LP so it lights other appliances faster before they may error out after trying to light 2-3 times and failing.

Post your make and model to be sure but it might be as simple as that.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:23 AM   #89

finally for steady hot water.

I replaced the cheap pressure regulator I got at Walmart with one that is a little more pricey and can be adjusted. I found it on Amazon. It is the "Renator M11-0660R Water Pressure Regulator". When I first cut it on I was getting about 38lbs of pressure and the water heater wasn't cutting on consistently. I increased that to about 50lbs and the hot water was consistent and wonderful.

Former:
2015 Jayco Greyhawk 31DS
Toad: 2009 Ford Flex
jvteach77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 10:08 PM   #90

I have a flow problem and a tankless water heater problem, don't know why my faucets will not put out better flow. tried everything.
sudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 11:59 AM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgermane View Post
Just took delivery of a new 31FS. It has the tankless water heater. It works great when using the sink faucets, but, not so well with the shower. It continually cycles from hot to cold every 20 seconds.

In the manual, it states that this will happen when it is not getting enough flow, and the high heat limit is tripped. I'm not sure how to get more flow. I open the hot water valve completely without any cold and it still cycles.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks in advance,
I also have a 31fs. To get more flow try the adjustable Rinaldo pressure regulator on Amazon. Super high quality and about $40 bucks if you have Prime. I set the pressure to 50 psi. I just used the shower for the second time, full on hot, and got a really long shower and a shave, then I heard 3 beeps from the thermostat and it went to cold. So if anyone knows what the 3 beeps mean give me a heads up.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 08:46 PM   #92

Some ways to test Girard tankless water heaters.

Girard tankless water heater tests in Jayco's:
Water flow rate: 1 to 1.5 gallons per minute. Time it with a gallon jug.
Check all faucets and shower heads. Do not remove flow restrictors yet.
Water temperature: High setting switch or control should be 112 to 132 degrees F. Low setting should be around 90 to 100 degrees F.
Now this temperature depends on your supply temperature. These readings are based on a supply temperature of 68 to 72 degrees. You will have to extrapolate (10th grade math) for other supply temperatures. This is just a rule of thumb. Now here is the real kicker: If you see no change between the high settings and the low settings of your switch or control then your system is wired wrong. Jayco wires their grounds using white wires. The input wire to the control module, located on the back of the Girard, is also white. Guess what they may have done? That's all I have. I am definitely going with a tankless propane and electric system that controls the temperature of the water automatically. Hope they make one. Until then, it's campsite showers for me. Hope this helps some of you.
wporzucek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 12:54 PM   #93

At the 2018 Schaumburg Rv show not one fifth wheel or travel trailer has the on demand water heater, that was the 1st item I was looking for.

Good answers water pressure regulator, "high flow", shower head, valves settings, factory connections & water pump.

Let us know what you did to troubleshoot and correct the problem.
JaycoQuest294 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 02:09 PM   #94

I had the same problem with my Girard tankless. Removed the cheap water pressure reg and purchased the adjustable reg with a gage. Set gage at 45psi and problem solved. I now have continuous hot water and unlimited as well.
Rick-in-Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 06:06 PM   #95

Changed out water heater 31FK

Have a 2016 31FK, had a bad time with the Gerard water heater, would never run hot for more than a few moments. My buddy Tony D. and I changed it out with a EXCEL propane system, had to modify the space. (original space too short, did not want to re locate it) Cut into the front lower storage compartment. Works great, better than in my home. Disconnected the worthless water heater temp controller in the bathroom. Set the Excel at med. on the adjustments. Nothing but hot water on demand. (controlled by the hot and cold shower faucet) Powered by 2 d batteries and used the original gas lines, used new braded water lines.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00875.jpg   DSC00876.jpg   DSC00877.jpg   DSC00878.jpg   DSC00879.jpg  

dgmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 11:09 PM   #96

Replace and improve(?)

We have the newest Girard model, the 3rd gen. I didn't winterize properly (those 2 day freezes in GA will get you) and blow a nice hole in the heat exchanger in the water heater. Since I have to replace that, does anyone think it would be helpful to put a small pressure tank (~20 oz) in line after the heater as a sort of “mix tank” to even out the temperature some when taking Navy showers?
MountainSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 09:33 AM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainSailor View Post
We have the newest Girard model, the 3rd gen. I didn't winterize properly (those 2 day freezes in GA will get you) and blow a nice hole in the heat exchanger in the water heater. Since I have to replace that, does anyone think it would be helpful to put a small pressure tank (~20 oz) in line after the heater as a sort of “mix tank” to even out the temperature some when taking Navy showers?
We got down into the low 20s a couple of nights so I made sure I fully drained all systems. Just used all the low point drains and it seemed to be OK. Left a 100 watt light bulb on in the main water compartment. I think next time I will blow it out also mainly for peace of mind with the Girard.
Kar Kaddy SS
javamon is offline   Reply With Quote