Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-30-2014, 12:33 AM   #1

We are Canadians buying in US.

Wondering if anyone has any input!! Any issues or problems bringing unit back to Canada. Also buying new, and worried about getting warranty done!!!
Thx
Sharon
Flagstone73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 05:33 AM   #2

Check with Canada Customs for what they want to see when you import.. There are rumors that they may start wanting to see the vehicle brought up to CSA standards. Remember to stop at US customs on the way out of the states to have the title stamped for export. Some dealers wont even service units bought from other dealers so you MIGHT have trouble getting warranty service done. A call to Jayco should answer if they honor cross border warranties.. I know my Canadian unit was covered when traveling in the USA.
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 05:57 AM   #3

Warranty should not be an issue. JAYCO has been known to authorize warranty work at a non JAYCO service center or dealer if there are none close to you . Most JAYCO dealers will honor the warranty even if you didn't buy there only you may not get priority service.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:10 AM   #4
Lost in the Woods

Just did it in June. It is very easy and the dealer will give you everything you need.

get the VIN from the dealer of the trailer you are buying and submit it to RIV.ca to start a file and to insure it is eligible.

Buy the trailer and get the bill of sale,title,and the recall letter from Jayco.

Thats it. Drive back through the border (and no, you do not need to stop at US customs, That is for motorized vehicles only that you need to export. It does not apply to towables)

They will at the border start the paperwork. They will calculate the GST and you pay it. They will give you the import paperwork.

When you get home you will call or go online to RIV.ca and open your case file and submit the file number from the Border paperwork and pay the 221 dollar fee. They send you a sheet (by pdf file) to print to take to your inspection station(likely canadian tire). Take the trailer and piece of paper and get it filled out at Canadian tire and then contact RIV.ca. In a few days they will send you a sticker of compliance to affix to the trailer.

Thats it...easy as pie

of course you have to pay your provincial tax when you get it licensed but that is simple

Good luck

I saved 6000 by the way on my X17A

edit: unsure whether warranty will be an issue getting done. The warranty is good in Canada just whether the local dealer will have a fit that you didn't buy it from them. For 6K I didn't care. If I have a major failure I will cross that bridge when it comes. Till then most things I fix myself better anyway
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 07:45 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagstone73 View Post
Wondering if anyone has any input!! Any issues or problems bringing unit back to Canada. Also buying new, and worried about getting warranty done!!!
Thx
Sharon
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/sh...=canada+buying

Try this thread and good luck

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 01:36 PM   #6
Lost in the Woods

If you have any questions Flagstone73 just PM me. I will be more than happy to answer any of your questions as I have just done this 2 months ago and know EVERYTHING involved. IT is very easy as my post above shows
Old 08-30-2014, 08:46 PM   #7

Easy! Easy! Easy!...Al kinds of people I talked to told me not to do it because of the problems with units not up to CSA standards. I brought mine up same day I purchased it, brought it north, brief stop to pay GST at the border, had it inspected at Canadian Tire...was licensed and fully insured in 5 days. Every component on my unit has a CSA sticker, even though it wasn't a "CSA" certifed unit. The big savings was worth the trip. It sounds like you have enough help, but feel free to PM me as well if you have any questions. Depending on the dollar I would buy in the U.S.A again for the savings.
3firetrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 08:49 PM   #8

Oh...I forgot to mention...I have had mine serviced by a local Jayco dealer with no problems. I saved about $4000.00
3firetrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 11:16 PM   #9

We bought our 25 RKS in Arizona and saved at least $6000. Bringing it back to Canada was just way to easy as described above, we would not hesitate to do it again.
dieselgord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 05:54 PM   #10

You all seem to be discussing new trailer purchases from RV dealers and then bringing them back to Canada.

What about purchasing a used TT from a private seller....other than the usual safety precautions, any suggestions on buying this way and coming back to Canada.

On Permanent site at Gillies Lake, Bruce Peninsula
LilBigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 06:03 PM   #11
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilBigfoot View Post
You all seem to be discussing new trailer purchases from RV dealers and then bringing them back to Canada.

What about purchasing a used TT from a private seller....other than the usual safety precautions, any suggestions on buying this way and coming back to Canada.

same things apply...run the VIN through RiV to start a file and make sure it is admissable.

you will have to contact the trailer manufacture yourself to have a recall safety letter sent to you.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:03 PM   #12

We bought a 2008 model in 2012, used model from a dealer. No problems with importing it into Canada
dieselgord is offline   Reply With Quote