Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-09-2013, 10:02 AM   #1

Question about propride Hensley etc.

How is the cost of these justified? What is in the design that warrants that price?

Just curious and I'm sure I'm not the only one with this question.

Thanks
Ecfeick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:41 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Check their websites.
They will probably do the best at explaining their benefits.
Hensley has a video at the top of their page as well.
I would imagine the extra engineering/parts/development add to costs for those systems. (speculation)
I am not familiar with them.

http://hensleymfg.com/faq/hensley-arrow/

Best regards,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:22 PM   #3

I had a Hensley Arrow for many years. It will save your bacon. It absolutely mechanically prevents the trailer from swaying or jack knifing. The Arrow prevents sway mechanically via a “four bar problem” essentially the front two pivot points are narrower than the back two in a trapezoidal configuration. This means that the truck can turn but the trailer cannot. If you push on the back of the trailer it will be mechanically locked and will attempt to move the front wheels of the TV. I have had this setup on compact snow and ice and a person ended up sideways right in front of me. I had studded snow tires on my truck and did a full ABS stop. Of course the trailer tires locked up because they were on ice. I felt the trailer go against the stop (there is some very small give in the system) and stay right behind me. I was able to avoid the collision! Had I had a normal setup the trailer would have jackknifed on me and there would have been nothing I could have done. The Hensley Arrow also helps in windy conditions because it essentially locks the truck and trailer together. It is very stable. I looked at cam systems and other sway control products. The Arrow is the only system that completely prevents sway period.
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:34 PM   #4
Site Team

I know many folks who have both and swear by them. Never heard one say they were sorry they spent the $$$. Most pull travel trailers over 26'.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:58 PM   #5

We have a Propride, did not blink an eye on cost it was safety I was the most concern with. There is absolutely zero sway.....

Gary
2013 White Hawk 30DSRE
ProPride 3P 1400 Hitch
glcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:31 PM   #6

I looked at them for three years and finally found one on the used market. I haven't installed it yet, but will do so before our next trip. I can't wait to try it out. I have had zero issues with my dual cam, but the PP is so much more heavy duty that it isn't even funny.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:36 AM   #7

I have a Propride 3P. It is 100% worth the money...I bought new! I towed our 26BH with a 2003 Ram 2500 4x4 quad cab short bed truck before the Tundra and the Tundra tows day and night difference with the 3P. It is now way more stable than the basic WDH I had prior and the 3/4 ton truck. For a test, I took a trip on I-81 and got right behind a tractor trailer box van at 65 mph and we felt absolutely NO sway from the wind wash. We could hear it and feel it (pushing the doors!) in the truck but the truck and camper stayed perfectly straight. After a couple miles following, I pulled into the passing lane, stepped on it and went by. Again we felt absolutely no sway. We have made a few trips with it and am still 100% satisfied!

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:04 AM   #8

Have had our Hensley for 5 years and the cost is actually not a factor in the peace of mind it provides. No sway is much better than stopping it after it starts or just slowing it down.

No argument can ever explain peace of mind!

Tracking campgrounds with Ultimate Campground Log
dalenoel is offline   Reply With Quote