Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-15-2014, 09:15 PM   #1

Swivel TV - Jay Flight 28BHBE

Wondering if anybody else has the same problem I have with the swivel TV mount between bedroom / kitchen area in a 28BHBE. The bottom portion with the wires coming through looks / feels fairly secure, however the top looks like a loose pin or bolt just hanging from outer space. It has a LOT of slop (1 inch plus side to side, front to back) in it and just flops around, as if that upper pin piece isn't secured to anything but thin air. There was more than one like this on the dealer lot.

Knowing I would do something about it, I didn't dare take the gamble to let the dealer touch it. My plan right now, is to gut all of that crap, and make a solid wall in place of the swivel mount. I'll put a TV on each side, and scrap the whole swivel thing. This way, mom and dad can watch one thing, and kids another.

Anybody else have issues with the swivel thing?
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 05:17 PM   #2

I have not. We just rotate each night when we go to bed. My problem is using the remote to tune our movie box. Have to get out of bed to run it. I'm still thinking about that one.
Equalizer 14,000 lb hitch with 12,000 lb ball and arms (sold)
sugarray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 05:26 PM   #3

Removed the whole assembly today, and it's obvious what the issue is with ours. That small 1/2" pin you see, has at least 1" of slop, and the assembly that swivels, it too has a good bit of slop in it. This is the upper pin that holds the swivel frame. This is not secured to anything in the void above. So, now that we know, we'll be building a solid wall in there, and purchasing another TV for the bedroom side. I think we'll be happier in the long run. Did this same mod in 2010 to a previous unit.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3891.jpg  
Old 11-16-2014, 06:11 PM   #4

John, do you know if it is supposed to be connected and something goofy happened with yours? Or is it just meant to "float" around in that upper cavity?

I've noticed that the whole mechanism looks pretty sloppy. Every model that I have seen has sloppily cut holes and looks very unfinished. I haven't paid much attention to the mechanism when I've looked at them.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 06:25 PM   #5

I really don't know. It's seems it would be connected, but then again, if you saw how I got it out, you might think the slop was in there for a reason. I pushed up on it into that void high enough to pull the top portion of the tv swivel contraption out. Doing that pushes up on a thin piece of laminated wood on that upper shelf, but it didn't mess it up or dislodge it. Without that give, I don't think it would have come out without destruction.

Another option I considered, was put / make a bushing of some sort to reduce the amount of movement. As long as you have the up and down movement, you can get the swiveling box in and out.

In the end, I have it out, and my wife has spotted another black Friday LED 32" TV, so will probably go back with my own creation now.
Old 11-16-2014, 06:27 PM   #6

Oh, that doggone swiveling box that the tv is mounted in is heavy for its size. More than likely can thank the laminated mdf construction.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarray View Post
I have not. We just rotate each night when we go to bed. My problem is using the remote to tune our movie box. Have to get out of bed to run it. I'm still thinking about that one.

I had the same problem, this was my solution, and it works GREAT!

Sunweb Infrared Remote Control Receiver + Emitter + USB Adaptor for IR Extender Repeater https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FPI18C6..._QBxAub1S7BSSV

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 05:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarray View Post
Try this thread. Some good ideas....

Dave

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=21879
malibuskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 05:42 PM   #9

We had the same issue when we bought our 32BHDS. The tv was flopping all over. However, since we did not yet own the trailer we told the dealer that was unacceptable. Not sure how they fixed it but it works wonderfully now. Smooth rotation and no slop at all. For what it's worth....

Dave
malibuskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 06:56 PM   #10

I did make mention at the dealer, but in all of our years and rigs, I have yet to have a dealer satisfy me very much, or do it like I'd do it, so, I told them leave it, I'll fix it better than that. Our fix will be in the works soon. Black friday will provide the second TV for the bedroom, some nice maple or birch and a little custom wood work, and I'll like it a lot better. I always hated the swivel thing. Some love it and that's understandable. We had a similar floor plan years ago, and also did 2 TV's in that one just like we're doing now. Any time there is a blemish like this, I take advantage to make it better and make it my own. Add in a video selector / controller then you can put whatever on either TV.
Old 11-23-2014, 12:31 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
I had the same problem, this was my solution, and it works GREAT!

Sunweb Infrared Remote Control Receiver + Emitter + USB Adaptor for IR Extender Repeater https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FPI18C6..._QBxAub1S7BSSV
Thanks to Camper Bob, we too have this solution in our trailer and it is truly the cat's meow.

OP: we haven't had any issues with our swivel mount. Sounds like you have a good fix in mind.
kodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 08:26 PM   #12

Here's an update and the final product. I'll post a few more detailed pictures later when I'm not doing it with a phone. I filled in the gap between the wall and where the opening is. Used maple plywood for the main piece and poplar for the trim since I had it laying around. The stain came from Rollie Williams and is the exact stain Jayco uses. I have another thread titled "Wood Stain" with that info. At the bottom is a small opening where the cables come through and can go to either side. The bedroom side looks the same minus a TV right now. Didn't get it all wired yet as I had to leave for offshore, but there will be a Directv box and selector box soon.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 12-30-2014, 08:29 PM   #13

Here's one with the TV. Sorry for the sideways pic.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg