Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-24-2014, 09:50 AM   #21

I'm just East of San Antonio, and for this last cold snap, I did a full winterization for the first time. I always open the LP drains and empty the WH when we store it, but I wanted some extra insurance. I brought my compressor out to storage (no power out there) hoping there was enough air to just blow out what was left in the lines. I didn't have quite enough air in my little pancake compressor to blow the lines to my satisfaction, so I went with plan B and pumped AF into the lines.

I probably won't do that again. I'm thinking I'm going to change my process and just blow out all the water EVERY TIME I store the trailer. We always have the trailer at home for a day for cleaning and what not after a trip, and I'll have plenty of air at home, so I won't have to worry about it at all. This gives me the added benefit mentioned above about not having ANY water in the trailer. Since we often store ours for a couple months at a clip, that water gets pretty rancid in this Texas heat. If there's a severe cold snap coming, I'll just pour AF in the traps and in the toilet and call it good.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 03:45 PM   #22

When winterizing using RV anti-freeze, are any steps required for the black tank flush?

I saw a video that mentioned hand-pumping anti-freeze through the black tank flush connection but no other videos, manuals, forums, etc. have mentioned the black tank flush and anti-freeze (at least that I've found).

As a reminder, we have a 2015 Jay Flight 32BHDS.

Many thanks,
Dave
Autometer Gauges (EGT, Trans & Water temp, Boost)
K&N Cold Air Intake;
MBRP 4" Turbo Back Exhaust
Curt Class IV Receiver Hitch
Prodigy P3 Brake Controller; ProPride 3P Hitch 1400#
dsmith3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 06:08 PM   #23

I previously lived in Idaho, temps were commonly down to zero in the winter months, I drained the hot water heater, blew out the lines, I then added pink antifreeze to the drain p-traps and the toilet, and I have never added anything specifically for the black/gray tanks, and never had any issues or damage. (obviously I drain all tanks too).

I made my own adapter to blow out the tanks, looking for the picture of it, if I find it, I'll post it

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 10:53 AM   #24

I'm not comfortable with the blow out method. To tell the truth it seems like a lot of work to get out the compressor, prop open the toilet valve, blow the lines, then roll the pressure hose up and put it all away again. And then put AF in the p-traps. I've already got the AF, why not take five minutes to pump it through the lines? I think it's a Ford/Chevy/Ram thing.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:17 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
I'm not comfortable with the blow out method. To tell the truth it seems like a lot of work to get out the compressor, prop open the toilet valve, blow the lines, then roll the pressure hose up and put it all away again. And then put AF in the p-traps. I've already got the AF, why not take five minutes to pump it through the lines? I think it's a Ford/Chevy/Ram thing.
IMO, the methods are too similar to compare this way. Attaching my compressor to the trailer is flipping a switch and attaching it to the City Water connection. My air hose is on a reel always ready to use, about 10 feet from the back of my trailer, and it takes longer standing there waiting for the compressor to pressurize than anything else.

To pump in AF, I flip some valves inside the trailer (WH Bypass, and winterizing kit valve by the pump) and pump in AF. My WH bypass is under the rear bunk, so that's a bit of a pain for me.

Both methods involve many of the same steps like draining all the water, going around to each faucet to bleed the water or flow the AF, etc.

The only real difference in process is connecting air vs putting a hose in the AF bottle. But for me, I made quite a mess with the AF last time, so I prefer the compressed air method. And here in TX it doesn't get cold enough for long enough to necessitate the AF sitting in the lines.

If I don't have an air compressor (meaning I don't have 110V AC power), and I HAVE to winterize, I will fill the lines with AF, but it's not my preferred method. Even that contingency is short-lived as I'm on the hunt for a good 12V portable air compressor that should do the job in a pinch.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 01-05-2015, 09:31 AM   #26

My trailer has been winterized since the first week in December. I am certainly get antsy to take her out again but I dont want to have to repeat the winterizing effort again before the season starts. In that case, I guess I should wait to plan a trip until at least the end of March since living in Texas we sometimes get freezes that late. Any thoughts?
Old 01-05-2015, 11:08 AM   #27

It is a Ford/Chevy/Ram thing, just personal preference, and that is formed by convenience and maybe geography. Ten and 20 below temps where we live combined with our fairly frequent moves back and forth to warmer areas means I winterize at least three times, sometimes four and once, five times. So the AF works best for me.
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 11:50 AM   #28

I Have a buddy who kept a Lawton trailer at the deer lease who said winterizing was a waste of time, " it has plastic lines and I'm far enough south it doesn't get that cold".

Trailer filled up with water when he turned his pump on and found the fittings to the toilet had frozen and cracked.

He winterizes now.
DKRITTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 01:29 PM   #29

In Houston its pretty rare but happens about 1x a year that we dip below freezing more for than few hours at most. I'm new to this but this morning was 38 or so, I guess have to watch the weather as I haven't done anything yet. I'm planning on using it in a couple weekends. thanks for advice folks on winterizing, I'm likely going to have to do it eventually before spring.
Dirkdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 01:54 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkdaddy View Post
In Houston its pretty rare but happens about 1x a year that we dip below freezing more for than few hours at most. I'm new to this but this morning was 38 or so, I guess have to watch the weather as I haven't done anything yet. I'm planning on using it in a couple weekends. thanks for advice folks on winterizing, I'm likely going to have to do it eventually before spring.
Yup, they're predicting several hours of high 20's Wed night. Just got back from winterizing.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 04:25 PM   #31

I, too, just did my first winterizing yesterday (used AF).

The only questions I have are:

(1) what to do at city water connection (I've read to remove a screen and push a button...but no AF came out)

(2) anything needed to protect low point drains pep cocks? Currently mine are just open.

(3) what to do with clear hose at water pump that contains residual anti-freeze in it? (advice for preventing a mess when pull the hose out of the gallon jug)?

Thanks!
Dave
K&N Cold Air Intake;
Old 01-06-2015, 05:08 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruswms View Post
My trailer has been winterized since the first week in December. I am certainly get antsy to take her out again but I dont want to have to repeat the winterizing effort again before the season starts. In that case, I guess I should wait to plan a trip until at least the end of March since living in Texas we sometimes get freezes that late. Any thoughts?
I wouldn't hold back on planning trips until March in Texas, just watch the weather, it's so simple to blow out the lines, just go have fun, then re-winterized it again if needed, it only takes me 10-15 minutes at the most to clear the lines

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 09:22 AM   #33

Unhappy Final questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith3 View Post

(1) what to do at city water connection (I've read to remove a screen and push a button...but no AF came out)

(2) anything needed to protect low point drain petcock valves? Currently mine are just open.

(3) what to do with clear hose at water pump that contains residual anti-freeze in it? (advice for preventing a mess when pull the hose out of the gallon jug)?

Thanks!
Dave

We are due for hard freeze in Texas Hill Country tonight (upper teens to low twenties).

Please see a few remaining questions above from a "newb" wanting to protect his first trailer.

Many thanks to all and we appreciate the help and feedback folks provide people like us on this site.

-Dave
K&N Cold Air Intake;
Old 01-07-2015, 11:47 AM   #34

Quote:

(2) anything needed to protect low point drains pep cocks? Currently mine are just open.

Thanks!
Dave
1) At the city water connection, the system must be pressurized with the water pump, and you'll want to have the hose in the jug. Remove the debris screen and push into the plug with your finger. DO NOT put your face in front of the outlet, stand to the side! (ask me how I know...).

2) As long as all the water is drained through your LP drains, they should be fine, but if you want to fill them with AF, pressurize the system with the hose in the jug and open them, just like any other faucet. This will force AF through them and onto the ground (it's non-toxic, don't worry, but don't waste it either)

3) I usually let the pump suck most of the AF out of the hose until there is just some dribbles left and keep the open end pointed up and wedge it into my cabinet so gravity keeps the dribbles in the hose. That works for me, but if it didn't I would still let the pump suck the majority out after taking it out of the AF, and then sop up any dribbles with high absorbancy shop towels (blue paper towels)

YMMV

Good luck! It's already getting miserable out there. I just had to cancel a deer hunt for tonight, with all this wind, no animals are going to be moving!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 01-07-2015, 11:49 AM   #35

I forgot to mention:

Don't forget your black tank flush if so equipped (I use compressed air).

Don't forget your outside shower.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 01-07-2015, 01:27 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
I forgot to mention:

Don't forget your black tank flush if so equipped (I use compressed air).

Don't forget your outside shower.

God bless you, Camper_Bob! Awesome and thorough explanation. I've taken care of outdoor shower and outdoor kitchen sink.

I do not have a "blow-out plug w/quick connect" adapter to use compressed air to blow out my black tank flush connection.

Am I able to do anything else?
K&N Cold Air Intake;
Old 01-07-2015, 02:17 PM   #37

Quote:
God bless you, Camper_Bob! Awesome and thorough explanation. I've taken care of outdoor shower and outdoor kitchen sink.

I do not have a "blow-out plug w/quick connect" adapter to use compressed air to blow out my black tank flush connection.

Am I able to do anything else?
The camper supply places sell this part, it's the male end of a water hose combined with the male quick-connect air chuck.
I went to my local Lowes and was able to find a couple of threaded adapters and put together the hose-end and pipe thread adapter for the quick-connect. I try to keep spare air quick-connects on hand.

I had to scrounge through the various plumbing bins to find what I needed but they were there.

Some folks just blow the lines with air, some just use anti and some do both. I like to drain through the low point drains and then use the anti. Don't forget to slosh a little anti in all the drains and toilet.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 03:12 PM   #38

Thanks again to everyone for all the quick responses. We'd be lost without y'all helping out inexperienced folks like us. Really appreciated!

I just got back from Wal-Mart with their last plastic blow-out plug. Not the nice brass Camco with quick-connect (link below) but it will do to blow out my black tank flush connection before the hard freeze tonight.

http://www.etrailer.com/RV-and-Campi...FetDMgodZm0Arw

Thanks again,
Dave
K&N Cold Air Intake;
Old 01-07-2015, 04:15 PM   #39

Quote:
Thanks again to everyone for all the quick responses. We'd be lost without y'all helping out inexperienced folks like us. Really appreciated!

I just got back from Wal-Mart with their last plastic blow-out plug. Not the nice brass Camco with quick-connect (link below) but it will do to blow out my black tank flush connection before the hard freeze tonight.

http://www.etrailer.com/RV-and-Campi...FetDMgodZm0Arw

Thanks again,
Dave
Yeah, I had one of those. I bought mine under similar circumstances; in a pinch. I used it once, next day I ordered my brass one with the QC and I ain't never looking back! I HATED that plastic one, but it did what I needed it to do at the time.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV