Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-22-2014, 12:19 PM   #1

Looking for a Good Grand Canyon Campground

Looking to make a trip to the Grand Canyon next year and was wondering if anyone could recommend a good campground there?
Shultz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 12:54 PM   #2

You didn't mention if you're going to the North Rim or South Rim. I'll assume that you want to go to the South Rim (where all the action is). I would recommended the Grand Canyon Railroad RV Park. http://www.thetrain.com/lodging/rv-park/

The website picture is just as the park really is. Clean, convenient, and next to the wonderful town of Williams. They have shopping, restaurants, gas/fuel, market and and the Grand Canyon Railroad that you can ride up to the main visitors station in the Grand Canyon.
Wife and I were there last year and the Price at the time was about $35 each. It's a one time thing. Or you can drive your toad. At the RR station they put on a wild west type show and is interesting. BTW, this is the famous Route 66 that Williams is noted for.

There are other RV campgrounds in the vicinity and are probably less $$ per night but most are dirt/mud sites and still close enough to drive to Williams.
Also, Flagstaff AZ is not too far as well as Sedona AZ. which can both be seen in a day. (2 days max).

Hope this helps....

Any man can treat a lady right for one night, but it takes a great man to treat her right for the rest of her life.
GrayHawk51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 05:17 PM   #3

Greer's, just off Rt 89 was nice. We chose to go during the government shut down so missed a lot. Don't get me started. Greer's is a Good Sam's, Quiet, reasonable. From there we drove up to where the Canyon "gate" was. Told to turn around by a man with a gun, so stopped at the Indian overlook. Good time there. Then, the next day, went back down to Sedona and Jerome. Both really neat places. Flagstaff has some good bar b q as well. Have a good trip
dwarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 07:08 PM   #4

We stayed in the tent CG for our trip to the south rim, but we checked out the NP's TT CG and liked it well enough we will stay there on our next visit. While we were camped there the CG had a visitor.
Attached Thumbnails
Elk in CG.jpg  
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 06:28 AM   #5

Wow!! I'm assuming that's an elk?

Thanks all.

Anyone every stayed at or heard anything about Trailer Village inside the park?
Old 11-23-2014, 06:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shultz01 View Post

Thanks all.

Yes, that's an elk. The Trailer Village is the one we checked out. It's nice and we will stay there on our next visit. There are many others in the area, and I'm sure some are much nicer. We liked the trailer village for it's convenience.
Old 11-23-2014, 09:28 AM   #7

Quote:

Thanks all.

Have only heard good things about Trailer Village. We have actually made a reservation to stay there next Summer for a week. If you are a senior, you should be able to get into the National Park for free with a senior card that you pay for once and it is good at all National Parks for LIFE!
Someone mentioned Greer. It is MILES from the Grand Canyon and I would not even think about staying there as an entry point for the National Park. We used to live in the White Mountains of Eastern Arizona and we know just how far Greer is from the Grand Canyon.
Also, we checked out the RV park in Williams and it is a "parking lot" style. Yes, it is handy to the Grand Canyon (but still 30 miles away or so), but certainly not the general beauty of the Canyon area itself. That is why we are staying in the park itself as mentioned above.

docmarrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 10:05 AM   #8

We also stayed at Trailer Village, they are pull thru sites with full hookups. They only have restrooms at this campground, no showers, you would need to go to Mather to shower if you want. We had an end spot which was a bit more room than the standard ones. You can ask for one when you check in. What is really nice, the Grand Canyon has a free shuttle bus which takes you to all the campgrounds, hotels, markets, and vistas for viewing. So once you are parked you don't have to drive or find a parking spot at the attractions if you do not want to. The shuttle picks you right in front of the campground. It was more relaxing for DH. We spent 5 days there and loved it. Hope this helps.
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 26RLS-Sold
2014 Jayco Eagle 298 RLDS
maromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 12:21 PM   #9

Hi I prefer the North Rim, a little longer to.get there ,but if you want to get away
From the crowded materialistic atmosphere. Go to the N Rim the campsites are great , there is a good store and a great Hotel with a veranda out front hanging over the canyon, also a bar. I live in Cottonwood az 120 mi s
Old 11-26-2014, 06:48 AM   #10

We just booked a week in June at the Trailer Village.

Thanks everyone for your input and information.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:32 PM   #11

Quote:
We just booked a week in June at the Trailer Village.

Thanks everyone for your input and information.
That's good news, Shultz01. I hope you are willing to share your insights about the CG when your stay there is over. I would really like to know what you think.

... recommend when you get there to plan FULL days for east and west trips. FULL so you have time to stop at all the points of interest and scenic views. East you drive, and west you take the free bus from stop-to-stop. You can get on and off as many times as you like.