Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-01-2013, 01:09 PM   #1

Discount Clubs

Interested in anyone's experience and opinions of the assorted discount clubs out there and if any are worth joining, i.e. Campers World, Good Sam, etc. We have AAA and will upgrade to the recreational vehicle package for roadside coverage. I'm 62 and will get an Access Pass and also retired military. We just picked up our new Jayco and will be underway on our first journey in 2 weeks, so if there is a good group to join, I'm interested. Thanks
Jma3910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:14 PM   #2

We've got Good Sam and Passport America memberships. It doesn't take too many stays to pay for either. They've both got their plusses and minuses. GS is only 10% PA is 50% but the number of days or days of the week are usually limited and the parks we've stayed in haven't been "top tier", none have been bad tho.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:17 PM   #3

Before you upgrade your AAA do a bit of research. AAA is not the same in every state, and some areas cannot handle towing RVs and trailers even if you are paying extra for the RV plan. I've heard good things about CoachNet and Good Sam's roadside assistance. FWIW, we have AAA RV and its fine in WI.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:38 PM   #4

In California AAA didn't offer RV towing.

I havnt joined any of the other clubs you mention. Looked into them but didn't feel I'd get the value out of them.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:28 PM   #5

we are members of good sam. you must be a member to get the sale prices at camping world

2012 Jayco Eagle 351 mkts
2012 F250 powerstroke 4 x 4
rsbwjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:49 PM   #6

Ii am a member of good sam as well and feel that I get my money back on the discounts at Camping World and the parks are just a bonus. I am also a member of KOA and like every campground that I have been to. I highly advise looking at both of these.
slabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:49 PM   #7

There is a difference between campground DISCOUNT clubs and roadside assistance memberships. I think you are getting a mixture of reviews here because some companies like AAA and Good Sam offer both. Which type membership are you asking about?

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:51 AM   #8

Not sure how to clarify. Most if not all clubs I have researched offer benefits anf discounts to members, i.e. AAA offers roadside assistance, as well as discounts at motels, some parks etc. Just trying to get feedback on which clubs offer the best service, benefits, discounts, etc.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:24 PM   #9

The membership in AAA will get you discounts at some RV parks (I also got automobile insurance discounts but their RV insurance is high). AAA also offers a separate RV roadside assistance program for an additional cost. I don't have it and have not heard very many good reviews about it. Good Sam has a discount card available for purchases that will get you discounts at Camping World as well as RV discounts at many parks around the country. Good Sam also has a separate roadside assistance program that is supposed to be very good. I have it but and fortunately, have not had to use it. The other roadside assistance program, that comes to mind, is Coach-Net which I have also heard is very good. I have that one provided through Jayco for one year when we bought our 5er. Fortunately (again) I have not had to use that one either. The one really weird thing about the Coach-net program is that it is only valid if the truck is hooked up to our 5th wheel. Passport America is a discount card available for purchase in order to get discounts at their member RV parks. I have found it to be worthwhile but each participating campground offers different discounts. Like, only certain discounts on certain days (like Sunday through Thursday for example) or maybe only a two day discount or maybe only certain time of the year. I used it out in Williams, AZ last year for a 5 night stay and the discount more than paid for the subscription. I know that there are others out there but those are the ones I know of. If you are looking at a specific discount program or roadside assistance policy, you may want to post a question about that one particular program in order to get the largest number of opinions. Most of the time you'll get "the good, the bad and the ugly" Good luck in your search and welcome to the Forum!

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
The membership in AAA will get you discounts at some RV parks (I also got automobile insurance discounts but their RV insurance is high). AAA also offers a separate RV roadside assistance program for an additional cost. I don't have it and have not heard very many good reviews about it. Good Sam has a discount card available for purchases that will get you discounts at Camping World as well as RV discounts at many parks around the country. Good Sam also has a separate roadside assistance program that is supposed to be very good. I have it but and fortunately, have not had to use it. The other roadside assistance program, that comes to mind, is Coach-Net which I have also heard is very good. I have that one provided through Jayco for one year when we bought our 5er. Fortunately (again) I have not had to use that one either. The one really weird thing about the Coach-net program is that it is only valid if the truck is hooked up to our 5th wheel. Passport America is a discount card available for purchase in order to get discounts at their member RV parks. I have found it to be worthwhile but each participating campground offers different discounts. Like, only certain discounts on certain days (like Sunday through Thursday for example) or maybe only a two day discount or maybe only certain time of the year. I used it out in Williams, AZ last year for a 5 night stay and the discount more than paid for the subscription. I know that there are others out there but those are the ones I know of. If you are looking at a specific discount program or roadside assistance policy, you may want to post a question about that one particular program in order to get the largest number of opinions. Most of the time you'll get "the good, the bad and the ugly" Good luck in your search and welcome to the Forum!
I have Passport America and when I get to a park that has restrictions and I am outside of the permitted discount period I generally ask if I can have the PA rate anyway. Sometimes I get it and sometimes I don't. I have always figured is the most they can say is "No!"...:-)
Old 07-05-2013, 12:46 PM   #11

I just went to Camping World today and bought $170 worth of stuff for the camper. The membership would have saved me $37 and the membership costs $25 so I saved $12 on my first visit.
rcase13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:33 PM   #12

In the past I have had the following memberships: Good Sam, KOA, AAA. I have now eliminated the camping specific memberships, I maintain my AAA because most Good Sam parks honor AAA with the same discount, KOA parks are specific, but I only stay at them once about every 3rd year, most my camping is with state parks, national forests and national parks, and whenever possible we boondock, that is by far our favorite and comes at the best prices.

KOA is fine, but pricey, and not everywhere you want them
Good Sam is fine, but mostly too commercial for what I want.
AAA works for the discounts in a lot of places, and offers the other advantages of the AAA membership, no I have not yet added the RV to my AAA, someday maybe

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:54 PM   #13

We have both Good Sam and KOA. Not sure that I will renew Good Sam when it comes up. Camping World seems to have taken over running Good Sam and it seems to me like Camping World's "discounted price" is about what every one else charges to anyone who walks in the door. CW does have about everything one might need. It probably depends on the area you camp, but in 5 years of membership we have only stayed at one Good Sam Park. We have taken advantage of the insurance discount.

We stay at a lot of KOA's for overnight stays while traveling. We know what to expect and have never found a bad one. That said, some are nicer than others. We do not often use KOA's as destinations and usually look at Woodall's listings and ratings for campgrounds in an area that we want to spend some time in. The Woodall's I-phone App is free and somewhat better than the Good Sam app.

John & Nancy
Jay Feather 25Z 2007
Ford F-150 XLT 5.4 Triton 2008
TeamFoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:11 PM   #14

Thanks for all the responses, good info. We decided to upgrade our AAA membership and add the RV. It's a year commitment, so we'll see how it goes. Now that Camping World and Good Sam are one and the same and since they are offering a new member special we are probably going to join for a year...seems to make sense to try it. Most of our camping will be in state and national parks and we are very interested in boondocking. We are camping in the driveway this next week for 2 nights and then off to South Carolina for our maiden voyage.

Hey Flyrotor, are you a rotor head?
Old 07-06-2013, 07:03 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jma3910 View Post
Hey Flyrotor, are you a rotor head?
Not technically, I am a paramedic with an air ambulance service, so I fly in helicopters quit often.

...it's kind of like staying at Holiday Inn Express...

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 03:32 AM   #16

I agree with rbrumfield. I've done the same with AARP and it does work sometimes, even at stores. AARP is discount card you can check. The private campground that I go to didn't accept it a few years ago, before I was eligible to have it, but they gave me a 10% discount anyway. They accept AARP now, but I get a bigger discount by staying 6 nights and getting the 7th night free.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:44 PM   #17

We were with Thousand Trails several years back when our kids were small. We just rejoined with a Zone Camping Pass offering us parks in OR, WA, & one in Canada. Got it on sale for under $500 and that gives us 30 nights camping for a year and just $3 per night for any nights beyond that. We like the pools, security, clubhouses and such. That works out to around $15 a night...couldnt be happier. And regarding insurance....USAA hands down if you are former military.
Z71 Extended Cab w/Longbed, 5.3 ltr

Coleman Tent, Flagstaff Pop-Up, Jayco Eagle, Flagstaff Pop-Up, RPM Toy Hauler, Jayco White Hawk - Our camping evolution
stjohneyre is offline   Reply With Quote