Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-20-2014, 04:14 PM   #1

Adding a plug

I have a new 28DSBH, it has a small fridge in the front, can i tap off the plug and install a plug on the right side of the bed below the clothes closet. The reason being is i have to use a PAP machine sleeping (it used to help breath). And the closes plug is by the front door and I would have to run an extension cord across the door. Possible hazard, the dealer would not to commit to telling me yes or no.
Gesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 04:53 PM   #2

Check the peak/start-up amperage of each appliance and the installed wire size, then check to circuit amperage to make sure that what you plan to do is well below the capacity of the circuit and wire size.

Also, the circuit may serve additional appliances (A/C, furnace, TV, fans, other outlets, etc.) before ending at the refrigerator. The breaker panel should be labeled as to what each breaker serves.

There should also be a wiring diagram available from Jayco that would show what that circuit serves. However, they seem to have a policy about not providing the diagrams if the unit is still under warranty. Jayco has also stated to me that any modification made while the unit is under warranty will void the entire warranty.

It is standard A/C wiring, so you could always consult an electrician.

How close is the refrigerator to where you want to install the CPAP machine? The refrigerator should be plugged into an outlet. There may be a spare plug space on the outlet or the existing outlet could replaced with a standard RV 2-space receptacle. Again assuming that the wiring and amperage is OK.
Scott 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott 101 View Post
Check the peak/start-up amperage of each appliance and the installed wire size, then check to circuit amperage to make sure that what you plan to do is well below the capacity of the circuit and wire size.

Also, the circuit may serve additional appliances (A/C, furnace, TV, fans, other outlets, etc.) before ending at the refrigerator. The breaker panel should be labeled as to what each breaker serves.

There should also be a wiring diagram available from Jayco that would show what that circuit serves. However, they seem to have a policy about not providing the diagrams if the unit is still under warranty. Jayco has also stated to me that any modification made while the unit is under warranty will void the entire warranty.

It is standard A/C wiring, so you could always consult an electrician.

How close is the refrigerator to where you want to install the CPAP machine? The refrigerator should be plugged into an outlet. There may be a spare plug space on the outlet or the existing outlet could replaced with a standard RV 2-space receptacle. Again assuming that the wiring and amperage is OK.
Thanks the refrigerator is right by the bed, below where the Machine would be, so very close, as the plug for the Pap is removable i could put a small hole and feed the cord to the plug.Maybe I'll contact Jayco and explain the problem.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:37 PM   #4

You have to remember that most RV receptacles are different than those in a house. The wiring is pressed into the receptacle and not held by screws and there is very little slack in the wiring.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:27 PM   #5

I sent a EMail to Jayco see what happens
Old 08-20-2014, 08:45 PM   #6

"Jayco has also stated to me that any modification made while the unit is under warranty will void the entire warranty."

@Scott 101 --- Really? I would like to see where that was stated. It simply isn't legal for them to do so, they know that, so doubt that what was said.

Now if you modify the electrical system and have an electrical issue they could deny that claim on the ground that you made changes to the system. However if you add an outlet, then have a running gear issue -- there is no grounds for them to deny the claim.

Many of us have made modifications to out trailers while still under warranty and have never had that result in the entire warranty being voided.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:42 AM   #7

Straight from the 2014 Jayco Warranty sheet...

EVENTS DISCHARGING JAYCO FROM OBLIGATION UNDER WARRANTY

Certain things completely discharge Jayco from any obligation under this warranty and void it. By way of example, the following shall discharge Jayco from any express or implied warranty obligation to repair or replace any defect that results from: any rental or other commercial use or purchase of the RV (as defined in this warranty), any RV sold outside of, or used outside of, the United States, U.S. Territories or Canada, through and auction or wholesale, or by a non-authorized dealer, any defect a separately manufactured component part, owner neglect or failure to provide routine maintenance (see Owner's Manual), unauthorized alteration, off road use, collision or accident, whether or not foreseeable, including any acts of weather or damage or corrosion due to the environment, theft, vandalism, fire, explosions, overloading in excess of weight ratings, and tampering with any portion of the RV, or any use of the RV as a semi-permanent or permanent home.

The bolded parts release Jayco from any warranty with the modification you are talking about. If it is done by a dealership, they may be able to talk to Jayco and get the modification authorized, so it will not void your warranty.
John LLRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:52 AM   #8

Gesper, have you looked carefully to confirm you don't have a receptacle on that side of the bed? My 28DSBH has a receptacle installed on both sides of the bed frame. They are not easy to see.

My FIL uses a PAP machine as well and plugs it into the bed frame receptacle when he goes with us.
Tekonsha Voyager BC
SawBuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by John LLRV View Post
Straight from the 2014 Jayco Warranty sheet...

EVENTS DISCHARGING JAYCO FROM OBLIGATION UNDER WARRANTY

Certain things completely discharge Jayco from any obligation under this warranty and void it. By way of example, the following shall discharge Jayco from any express or implied warranty obligation to repair or replace any defect that results from: any rental or other commercial use or purchase of the RV (as defined in this warranty), any RV sold outside of, or used outside of, the United States, U.S. Territories or Canada, through and auction or wholesale, or by a non-authorized dealer, any defect a separately manufactured component part, owner neglect or failure to provide routine maintenance (see Owner's Manual), unauthorized alteration, off road use, collision or accident, whether or not foreseeable, including any acts of weather or damage or corrosion due to the environment, theft, vandalism, fire, explosions, overloading in excess of weight ratings, and tampering with any portion of the RV, or any use of the RV as a semi-permanent or permanent home.

The bolded parts release Jayco from any warranty with the modification you are talking about. If it is done by a dealership, they may be able to talk to Jayco and get the modification authorized, so it will not void your warranty.
Thanks for showing me that. Certainly contrary to my understanding of Federal Law regarding warranty.

I guess the important part of that paragraph is ... "any express or implied warranty obligation to repair or replace any defect that results from:"
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:33 AM   #10

The outlets that RV shops use are a little different. Jayco will not void your entire warranty if you make a modification. If you have an issue in the future with the outlet you modified/extended, they may void that one item, as it was tampered with.

The 120V AC wiring is just like your home except for the funky outlets/boxes they use. Buy the standard supplies you would use to add an outlet in your home and go for it. Your CAP machine does not use much power, at night you are not making coffee or toasting anything so overloading the circuit is not a big deal. Also the circuit breakers are made to protect your circuit from being overloaded. Using the right gage wire and proper installation techniques and go for it.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:31 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SawBuck View Post
Gesper, have you looked carefully to confirm you don't have a receptacle on that side of the bed? My 28DSBH has a receptacle installed on both sides of the bed frame. They are not easy to see.

My FIL uses a PAP machine as well and plugs it into the bed frame receptacle when he goes with us.
I have a 2014 28DSBH and I also have an outlet on each side of the bed frame. They are a little tough to see.
cppeekskill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:40 AM   #12

Thanks SawBuck I found them they are hard to find, you have to bend down quite a bit and close to the back and at 60 is a little harder to bend lol, logic would have them on the front of the cabinet. Thank-you to all the responses great forum.