Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-17-2014, 03:00 PM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by r8ingbull View Post
Seems on topic to me.

Can't really have a discussion when you can't bring up all the facts. Buying online in michigan can save %6. That's a good amount of money, and it can sway someone's decision one way or another.

Doesn't change the fact that one is still obligated to pay the tax, but it is part of the process.
Well technically we're required to report those purchases on our taxes. Don't forget to check the box that says you bought things on the internet.

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 04:23 PM   #22
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by r8ingbull View Post
Seems on topic to me.

Can't really have a discussion when you can't bring up all the facts. Buying online in michigan can save %6. That's a good amount of money, and it can sway someone's decision one way or another.

Doesn't change the fact that one is still obligated to pay the tax, but it is part of the process.
Discussing taxes relating to the sale of an item are on topic, but some posts were beginning to stray from the subject matter by commenting about taxes such as income tax and/or where the tax money goes (or doesn't go). These remarks have no relevance to the topic the OP put out for discussion and have nothing to do with the sale of merchandise.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 08:21 PM   #23

Looks like I will be buying a generator from Costco; paying sales tax and membership costs, but still saving money.

The generator I found that was best deal for me is:
SMART TOOLS AP 2000 iQ
$730 ($599 + sales tax + membership; we are not members)

The internet competition:
Honda and/or Yamaha 2000
$900 (free shipping and no tax)

The quality of all the generators seemed equal.
muelldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 08:27 PM   #24
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by muelldawg View Post
Looks like I will be buying a generator from Costco; paying sales tax and membership costs, but still saving money.

The generator I found that was best deal for me is:
SMART TOOLS AP 2000 iQ
$730 ($599 + sales tax + membership; we are not members)

The internet competition:
Honda and/or Yamaha 2000
$900 (free shipping and no tax)

The quality of all the generators seemed equal.
reviews are good...nice gen
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 05:18 AM   #25

If you have a problem with it, it is easier to deal with a local shop. I'm full timing and I buy stuff on the internet often, but some things are better buying at big chain stores so you can get taken care of on the road anywhere you go like tires, batteries etc.

But I doubt you'll ever have a problem with a Honda generator haha!

Daytripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 07:15 AM   #26

I have a local hardware store and will ALWAYS try to buy from them first. If they don't have what I need then I will go internet, Home Depot etc. My reasoning is simple. We need local businesses and can't support all of them. I pick the hardware store because I do a lot of repairs. These guys will always help me, I know the people who work there. We don't squabble over 10© and I don't want to see another vacant building in my town.
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:40 PM   #27

Haven't read the whole post. Always try to buy local. Keep local money in the your local economy. It's no different then trying to buy American made stuff. Keep your friends and neighbors employed. If everyone bought everything on the Internet you would not have an option of buying local so good luck on getting a part now because nobody carries that item anymore because they saved a dollar. Big deal whats a dollar gonna get you but the dollar if you would of spend could of employed a kid who was trying to save money for collage. I understand some things you have to buy over the Internet but buy local when you can. If there is a huge cost difference ask them if they will come down on the price a bit.
05 f150 5.4 v8 (sold)
nwminnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 12:27 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwminnesota View Post
Haven't read the whole post. Always try to buy local. Keep local money in the your local economy. It's no different then trying to buy American made stuff. Keep your friends and neighbors employed. If everyone bought everything on the Internet you would not have an option of buying local so good luck on getting a part now because nobody carries that item anymore because they saved a dollar. Big deal whats a dollar gonna get you but the dollar if you would of spend could of employed a kid who was trying to save money for collage. I understand some things you have to buy over the Internet but buy local when you can. If there is a huge cost difference ask them if they will come down on the price a bit.

Canadian dealers will give you a thousand excuses why the prices are so high and they wont budge even one dollar on the price. They also they have to order in a lot of stuff, so you still end up waiting for it. The difference in price can be 50%.
I often buy online where they offer free shipping in the us and have it shipped to the border. Then pick it up on my way home from work or if we go camping in WA for a weekend. It helps that it is only a 30 min drive to the border though.
rodandmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 12:30 PM   #29
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodandmir View Post
It helps that it is only a 30 min drive to the border though.

I am only 10 minutes love it
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 04:39 PM   #30

I am proponent of buy local and support small businesses. It might have a lot to do with the small rural town I live in and the fact that my parents and grand-parents own small businesses.

That said, because of the fact I live in a small rural town means there are many things I must buy online or from Big-Box retailers because they aren’t available locally.

I don't have a negative opinion of Amazon, Walmart, Home Depot, etc I just prefer doing business with folks I have known my entire life, who's kids are in school with my kids, and I know where they live and their home phone numbers. Maybe I am an old fashioned 30-something year old. Sure I often pay more for items than I could from shopping around, but then that is something I am doing consciously.

Now I am not going to just spend recklessly either. I have been known to let local businesses know when they are way out of line of certain items – guess what, because of my relationship often prices are adjusted some. For large purchases I usually try to buy used – I have found lots of great deals locally on CraigsList.

Like most things there is no “right answer” it’s an evaluation based on what’s important to you. Back to OPs topic – if I was buying a new EU2000i and my choice was Wise Sales for $900 or the Local Farm Store for $1049 – I am buying locally 100% of the time. Ironically however I bought my EU2000 on CL for $600.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 05:07 PM   #31
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
I am proponent of buy local and support small businesses. It might have a lot to do with the small rural town I live in and the fact that my parents and grand-parents own small businesses.

That said, because of the fact I live in a small rural town means there are many things I must buy online or from Big-Box retailers because they aren’t available locally.

I don't have a negative opinion of Amazon, Walmart, Home Depot, etc I just prefer doing business with folks I have known my entire life, who's kids are in school with my kids, and I know where they live and their home phone numbers. Maybe I am an old fashioned 30-something year old. Sure I often pay more for items than I could from shopping around, but then that is something I am doing consciously.

Now I am not going to just spend recklessly either. I have been known to let local businesses know when they are way out of line of certain items – guess what, because of my relationship often prices are adjusted some. For large purchases I usually try to buy used – I have found lots of great deals locally on CraigsList.

Like most things there is no “right answer” it’s an evaluation based on what’s important to you. Back to OPs topic – if I was buying a new EU2000i and my choice was Wise Sales for $900 or the Local Farm Store for $1049 – I am buying locally 100% of the time. Ironically however I bought my EU2000 on CL for $600.
Pretty much sums it up for me too except I will never see 30 something again, or 40 something either for that matter. Rural area here too and many things just are not available so in many cases I have to turn to Amazon or ebay. The nearest RV dealer of any kind is about 70 miles away, so no local opportunities there. There is only one new car dealer in the bi county area and they sell a brand I will never buy so that`s out. I have a favorite hardware store 5 miles from home that gets all of my business from lumber to nuts and bolts. The box home store may be cheaper, but the local store always gives me the contractor price, and I know the guys by first name. And they load the stuff for me. And the owner makes donations to Scout Eagle projects! So its a mix for me of trying to buy local, but in some cases its just not practical.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 05:40 AM   #32

I just saw this on RV Daily tips and since it was relevant to the converstation thought I would post it. RV tips is a FREE daily E-zine Sat Chuck posts a big weekly RV newsletter.. also FREE..
http://www.rvtravel.com/?q=daily-rv-tips-issue1229476

It costs less on the Internet but you may pay dearly later
by Steve Savage, Mobility RV Service

I got a call from the owner of an RV whose air conditioner had failed. He was traveling into the area, heading to some drag races, and requested warranty coverage work when he arrived. Houston, here is the problem:

As RV owners have increasingly relied on purchasing components and appliances on the Internet rather than from dealerships and service centers, we sales folk – like so many others – no longer maintain stock like we did in the past. Normally this time of year, we would have a dozen air conditioners in stock. This year we're not stocking any. That means in order to provide warranty service, we first have to verify a replacement air conditioner is required, then we have to order one from the manufacturer, wait for it to arrive, then remove the old one, install the new one and ship the old one back to the manufacturer.

In a case like the one above, we would not even have an air conditioner to install until after the drag races the RVer came up for were over and the owner was back on the road. We suspect this scenario will be repeated many times across the country. Like everything else, buying at the lowest price on eBay or similar Internet sites not only increases the likelihood warranty service will not be available for the person doing the buying, but also it increases the likelihood warranty service will not be available for others. There just never is a "free lunch," unfortunately. So, caveat emptor — "Let the buyer beware."
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:46 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
As RV owners have increasingly relied on purchasing components and appliances on the Internet rather than from dealerships and service centers, we sales folk – like so many others – no longer maintain stock like we did in the past. Normally this time of year, we would have a dozen air conditioners in stock. This year we're not stocking any. That means in order to provide warranty service, we first have to verify a replacement air conditioner is required, then we have to order one from the manufacturer, wait for it to arrive, then remove the old one, install the new one and ship the old one back to the manufacturer.

warranty service will not be available for the person doing the buying, but also it increases the likelihood warranty service will not be available for others. There just never is a "free lunch," unfortunately. So, caveat emptor — "Let the buyer beware."
Understand your point, but the minimial "in stock" parts situation is pretty much true of all retailers / service locations regardless of where you bought the unit. Not an RV part, but just bought an AC clutch kit for my wifes Jeep at Napa and it had to be ordered. Same is true for 90% of parts at my local GM dealer. Bottom line you find yourself in a no win situation if you have a failure while on the road or when you are in need of a quick turnaround on a repair on about anything.

I am not stupid so I don't drive 90 miles roundtrip for a $10 hinge that will cost me $14 at the local hardware. I also won't pay $599 for something I can get for $450 w/ free shipping. Local small businesses don't have the overhead of the bigger stores but also can't buy at the volumes and get the discounts of the box stores. I understand that, but the kind of markups for basic items at many locals is nothing more than taking advantage of the local residents. RV dealers are no different. I don't have a problem waiting for a part to be shipped in, but paying double for the repair will lead me to go another direction.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 12:18 PM   #34

I bought a 3000i Handi (Honda) from Wise. I live close to them and picked it up. Runs the RV great, what's even greater is when my power goes out and I plug it into my transfer switch. It probably doesn't burn 2 gal in 24 hrs
Jeff61 is offline   Reply With Quote