Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-22-2014, 03:46 PM   #1

Seasonal Sites

Just out of curiosity, what kind of feedback can I get from those who utilize seasonal sites???

Info like, best site locations, prices, renting or buying, etc., year round use.
Do you leave your unit there permanently or pull in and out at different times.
I have not done this in the past and just looking for pros and cons and possible sites and pricing.
Thanks for any info.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 06:23 PM   #2

We landed on a seasonal site because it was mid-way between our family and our current home. In 3 hours we can all be in one comfy place and We now have weekday neighbors and weekend neighbors. We take it to the site in April and home in October. Being able to use our camper anytime we want without the hassle of towing & traffic & set-up . . . Priceless.
2017 RZR for the rainy days n muddy roads
Stingray75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 07:02 PM   #3

We got a seasonal site this summer mostly because our work schedules make it hard to know more then a few days in advance when we could go. Then you can't get a site anywhere.

Now can go on the spur of the moment and it's all set up when we get there with cold beer waiting in the fridge.

Our park is open April to the end of September and while we can come and go as we choose with the trailer we didn't.

We liked it enough we're doing it again next year.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=22566

Rates range from $3200-$3600 per season depending how close you are to the lake.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:09 PM   #4

This was the first year we had our seasonal and we love it. No set up our take down and full hook ups. It has a heated swimming pool and a games room for the kids. It's close to a town and about 25 min from the lake. At first I didn't think I would like it because it is not that close to the lake but the pool worked good with the kids. It's also close enough to home I found that we used it more this year than previous years. The only downside is I liked to visit different campgrounds and see new things but were I'm from it is pretty hard to get a camp site on the weekends if you don't book 4-5 months in advance.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:23 AM   #5
Site Team

I have what I call a "Semi" seasonal site. A seasonal usually pays by the season/year, and electric may or may not be included in the price. If not included it's often metered and billed separately by the campground. Utilities usually remain connected for the entire season unless there is something in the agreement that specifies otherwise. The same applies to whether the RV can remain on the campsite or must be removed at the end of the season.

What I have is similar to what some campgrounds offer: You pay a storage fee to keep your RV in the campground's storage area. When you make your reservation, on your arrival day, the RV is moved from the storage area to a campsite. You'll pay a camping fee for the duration of your stay. On your departure day the RV is removed from the campsite and returned to the storage area. Most campgrounds move the RV between the storage area and the campsite for you and a fee may be charged for this service.

In my situation, I pay a monthly storage fee, but my RV remains on the campsite year 'round. I also pay a (reduced) nightly, FHU, site rental fee for each night I camp in my TT. When unoccupied, all my utilities must be disconnected and stored. However, I can leave my stabilizer jacks down since the TT will not moved.

Most of the previous posters have already presented their experiences, viewpoints and suggestions on seasonal camping, but here's one I don't think has been mentioned:

If you plan to remove your RV periodically from your site during the season for camping trips elsewhere, you might want to check the campground's policy regarding (what I call) sub-letting your campsite to transient campers while you're away.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 04:10 PM   #6

All good info, especially the sub-letting part. Had not thought about that. We also like to see the different sites so not so sure I would like being in one spot all the time. Many different things to take into consideration. Thanks for the input.

Joe Hinson
Old 09-24-2014, 09:49 AM   #7

We love our seasonal site! The campground is open from May until the end of Oct. We can leave the camper there all year. You can build decks off the camper. There is a pool, small basketball court and other amenities. Not the "nicest" but more than enough for us. As for price its 1050 for the whole year. All included except cable and pumps since we are in a non sewer site. $10 bucks and they come to you and pump the tanks! Oh and the rules are "There are no rules, so don't make me make rules!" (Best part if this place!!)
Old 09-26-2014, 05:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by namusmc65 View Post
All good info, especially the sub-letting part. Had not thought about that. We also like to see the different sites so not so sure I would like being in one spot all the time. Many different things to take into consideration. Thanks for the input.
As you get older you will come to appreciate NOT doing the break down/setup of moving as each year passes....
Old 09-26-2014, 05:58 PM   #9
Lost in the Woods

We camped 29 nights over the summer at one campground this summer.

We would love to buy a seasonal there but there are no deals. You can stay as long as you want but you pay the nightly price.

So we usually stay for 7-10 days, pull the trailer off and put it in storage there and then home for 3-5 days and then come back.

Next year we will hopefully get in 45 nights...which will cost 1620 plus storage fees for the summer.
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 06:46 PM   #10

I'm down in Louisiana so I get a seasonal site from October to the end of April. Good fishing and great company. I like not having to tow and setup each time I go. Yes we have some cold weather here on occasion but all I do if I leave is drain the low points and so far so good. I do have the camp host phone number if I need to call for help.

2012 F250 Super Duty
2014 Jayco Premier 361REQS
Super Springs
Yamerhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 07:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbhybrid View Post
We camped 29 nights over the summer at one campground this summer.

We would love to buy a seasonal there but there are no deals. You can stay as long as you want but you pay the nightly price.

So we usually stay for 7-10 days, pull the trailer off and put it in storage there and then home for 3-5 days and then come back.

Next year we will hopefully get in 45 nights...which will cost 1620 plus storage fees for the summer.

Ours works out to about half the cost of just booking a nightly site for the whole summer. The biggest reason I find for the seasonal site is the trailer is already there and ready to go and you never have to call and hear " sorry we're booked solid for the days you're looking for ".

One of many downsides to living near a huge city.
Old 09-26-2014, 07:32 PM   #12
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulx213 View Post
Ours works out to about half the cost of just booking a nightly site for the whole summer. The biggest reason I find for the seasonal site is the trailer is already there and ready to go and you never have to call and hear " sorry we're booked solid for the days you're looking for ".

One of many downsides to living near a huge city.
if I could get this place for half , I would pay for 5 summers tomorrow but it is the regular nightly rate.

Yes I have had to take a semi service site coming back but usually can get on a full service within a day or two.

pain in the @$% but that comes with staying in the best place in North America
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 08:27 PM   #13

We leave, and have left ours parked at a seasonal site for the past 15 or so years. We, or I should say I love how easy the setup is when all that's required is unlock the doors and turn the water and propane on. We pay $100 a month, plus our own electric and satellite and average right around 100 nights per year. A huge bonus is our site is actually a mobile home site 90'wide x 150' long and the land owner pretty much lets us do as we please. We built a 45' wrap around deck, have a 125 gallon propane tank that supplies the camper, BBQ and patio heater. I bought a 12x16 shed where I keep a washer and dryer, fridge, scooter and al my fishing garb. Love not having to get stuff out or put up, and don't really figure we will ever go back to tow and setup camping again. Well worth the price of admission in my opinion.

Jrmay
Jrmay25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 07:36 AM   #14

I would like to thank all of you for your input into my question. We all have our own experiences and as long as each of us is happy with our situation, then all is good.
Thanks again to each of you for responding. Happy Trails and may our paths cross some day.

Joe Hinson