Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-08-2014, 12:51 PM   #1

Hail Damage

Well last night my worst fear came true. My brand new truck, trailer and car were severely damaged by hail. Within about 2-3 minutes there were cracked windows and large dents in everything. The night before I had spent the evening checking the roof and touching up the caulking, and now there are holes and tears in the Alpha roof membrane, along with deep dents into the roofing plywood. The aluminum siding is destroyed on all sides. My truck and trailer were my pride and joy and now they sit totally damaged. It even broke the tail lights right off the trailer... The hail was larger than golf balls.

Insurance will step up to the plate, but I'm concerned about the extent of the repairs to the trailer. It's a 2014 Jay Flight Swift 198RD. How likely is it that they will write the trailer off with that kind of damage?

It looks as if the wooden roof panels will also need to be replaced, and I am worried about the long term integrity (leaks, etc) from such a repair.

What are your thoughts with this situation? What would you accept and not accept?
SkyBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 01:12 PM   #2

Sorry to hear this. Bet of luck to you! Glad nobody was hurt though.
UPCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 02:38 PM   #3
Site Team

So sorry about that. I`ve read about trailers being totaled due to hail damage. Perhaps they will total yours as well due to the severity of the damage.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 03:21 PM   #4

With that kind of damage you can bet it will be totaled. Sorry for your problem.
lx22f/c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 05:43 PM   #5

Also sorry to hear of the damage, but that is why we have insurance. Hopefully they will either repair your rig(s), or give you the cash to replace it/them.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:03 PM   #6

Sorry to hear. I think I've seen more hail on ours this year than the past 5. The risk of owning big boy toys
2017 RZR for the rainy days n muddy roads
Stingray75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:52 PM   #7
Tim

Wow bad luck SkyBound. Where are you from?

Tim
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:54 PM   #8

I'm very sorry to hear of the damage, I hope that everything works out for you.

Let us know how it goes.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:01 PM   #9

To be outright frank, that sucks! If it works out best for you, I hope both are totalled so you can get new replacements. I've experiences some small hail, but nothing that would create any dents or damage.

Sorry for your pain. And for your rigs.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 09:41 PM   #10

Skybound sure sorry about your damage . In 1980 i experienced softball size hail so i feel your pain . Insurance companies i believe work on a percentage basis what i mean is if a certain percentage of the loss compared to the value of the vehicle they should total but what ever they decide to repair what i would expect would be perfect condition when repaired. Keep your head up.
2006 JAYCO JAY FEATHER 23B EXP
EQUILIZER HITCH
Kellys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 10:16 PM   #11

Sorry to hear about that...hopefully your insurance company is fair with you
Old 08-14-2014, 11:31 AM   #12

Sorry for the late reply. I have been away for a few days with work. This damage was a result of last week's storm in Airdrie, Alberta that made the news. My wife and dog and I were in our car watching everything get destroyed, including the windshield smashing in front of our faces. It was so loud in the car.

The trailer is at a shop right now having the damage evaluated for insurance purposes. We are out here temporarily and will be returning back to Ontario soon, and I need to know whether it's worth dragging the thing back across the country to be fixed later, or to just leave it here. Pretty upset. Down to 1 vehicle too for the next 2 weeks which is even more fun to try to live our lives.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:46 AM   #13

I feel your pain SkyBound. Last year while we were in Makoshika State Park near Glendive, MT we also experienced the frightening sound while we sat in our TT listening to golf ball size hail pummel our truck and trailer. Miraculously our truck suffered no damage, however two sides of our TT were damaged to the extent that each tin panel had a divet of some size. State Farm totaled the TT. For us it worked out OK. The damage was primarily cosmetic with the exception of a torn awning and one broken running light. State Farm totaled it, but we could live with the damage and so we opted for keeping the unit. The check they cut us (less scrap value) paid off our TT loan and we had a nice amount left over to replace the awning as well as make some additional mods to the TT. Your experience sounds more devastating. Best of luck to you.

2007 Jayco Jay Flight 26BHS
2016 GMC Duramax Sierra 3500 HD Denali
4 Crown CR-235 6-volt batteries - 470 AH bank
3000 watt Magnum Energy MSH-3012 Tri Metric 2025
Cummins generator
Winegard Traveler DirecTV slimline HD SK-3005
Big Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 11:55 AM   #14
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBound View Post
Sorry for the late reply. I have been away for a few days with work. This damage was a result of last week's storm in Airdrie, Alberta that made the news. My wife and dog and I were in our car watching everything get destroyed, including the windshield smashing in front of our faces. It was so loud in the car.

The trailer is at a shop right now having the damage evaluated for insurance purposes. We are out here temporarily and will be returning back to Ontario soon, and I need to know whether it's worth dragging the thing back across the country to be fixed later, or to just leave it here. Pretty upset. Down to 1 vehicle too for the next 2 weeks which is even more fun to try to live our lives.
That's what I suspected. I used to live in Airdrie and at that time we had to have our shingles and siding replaced because of hail. I Also used to work at a dealership there. Nothing like a good hail sale ... not! Hope all goes well for you.

Tim
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 03:21 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Hope the end resolution is to your expectations and in a timely fashion.

We had a couple TT's incur hail damage a couple of weeks ago where I store mine...., I received one dent about 1" in diameter along the lower metal panel, otherwise I was ok.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 03:22 PM   #16

Well today was the day that it all came to an end. After all was said and done, the insurance company deemed my 2014 Jay Flight Swift 198RD a total loss. I had owned the trailer for about 14 months, bought it brand new, and my wife and dog and I shared some great memories in it, as brief as it was.

I spent a few hours yesterday gathering up the last of my things from inside, and a true sense of sadness came upon me. Such a shame to see such a beautiful trailer reduced to worthless from a 3 minute storm. I dropped it off this afternoon at the scrap yard or auction site and said my last goodbye to my first Jayco.

In the meantime I will be returning back home, saving the money from insurance and building it up over the winter. I will be starting to shop again for a new trailer in the spring. Lots of things to consider! I`ll be as active as I always have been on this site in the meantime and you had better believe I will end up in another Jay Flight!
Old 09-18-2014, 03:39 PM   #17

I hope all things work out to the best for you. You will find another trailer that you like, then it's happy camping again come spring.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:47 PM   #18

We have Progressive insurance. One of the selling points is that if you have to have your TT replaced, they will replace it with another model at least 1 year newer.. Not a bad thing...

Our current TT is our first real hard wall trailer. We love our model don't get me wrong, but I have to admit there are a few things that I would look for that is different if I had to upgrade..

Good Luck in your search.. Hope you guys find something you like as well or better..

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Tex1961 is offline   Reply With Quote