Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-16-2014, 06:15 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by krsmitty View Post
Hey Grumpy, see you are from Cinn. You familiar with Lawrenceburg, Aurora, Rising Sun IN? Where my Smith clan is from.
Definitely. We've camped at Little Farm in Rising Sun, we also camp at Versailles periodically. My "clan" paternal grandparents were from Batesville, still have some distant cousins there.
Old 09-16-2014, 07:09 PM   #22
Lost in the Woods

The dogbone adapter with a 30 and a 20 amp connector doesn't give a true 50 amp service. A true 50 amp service is two 50 amp connections. The adapter gives 30 amps on one side and 20 amps on the other. But still better than just a 30 amp alone which combines both 50 amp sides together. I have used this adapter frequently since I bought an RV with 50 amp service. On my 338 rlts the 20 amp side separates the hot water tank from the A/C which is on the main 30 amp side. This keeps from blowing the breaker every time the hot water cuts on with the A/C running. 30 amp service = 3600 watts vs 50 amp service (twin 50) = 12,000 watts.
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:42 PM   #23

My Eagle TT is so well insulated, I'm not even sure I need the 2nd A/C. If I had to run on 30 amp service and only use the main 15,000 BTU a/c, I think we'd be fine. In a TT, the 2nd a/c over the bedroom isn't ducted anyhow.
Clevelandjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:49 PM   #24
Lost in the Woods

Most of the time I only use the 2nd A/C is to cool it down fast when we stop at night and the TT is hot inside. I used it a few times when it was over 100 outside. If it is noisy outside we sometimes run the bedroom A/C just to cover up the noise.
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:02 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelandjim View Post
My Eagle TT is so well insulated, I'm not even sure I need the 2nd A/C. If I had to run on 30 amp service and only use the main 15,000 BTU a/c, I think we'd be fine. In a TT, the 2nd a/c over the bedroom isn't ducted anyhow.
Thanks, Clevelandjim. That's quite a testimonial.

What year and model is your Eagle? We are considering the 314BHDS.
Autometer Gauges (EGT, Trans & Water temp, Boost)
K&N Cold Air Intake;
MBRP 4" Turbo Back Exhaust
Curt Class IV Receiver Hitch
Prodigy P3 Brake Controller; ProPride 3P Hitch 1400#
dsmith3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:38 PM   #26

We just bought our 26.5 RKS 5th wheel last week. (30Amp with one 15BTU AC) We took it out in Arizona for the last two days in 105 + heat. It has the climate shield rating on it. Things that we noticed is that the AC did cool down the living area pretty quick but it took some time to cool down bed area up front. Even with us closing the ducting to push more area up front. I covered the skylight with a car sunshade that I cut up to cover it. After I did that it started cooling down really good. We also moved portable fan up front to push hot air out of cabin. After that the ac would actually reached 75 degrees. We also learned that the Refrigerator needs quite a bit of time to cool off at these temps. So I am gonna install a cooling fan for coils that I have to help with this.
Hope this helps
B&W Companion Hitch
catch5steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 02:53 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith3 View Post
Thanks, Clevelandjim. That's quite a testimonial.

What year and model is your Eagle? We are considering the 314BHDS.
We own a 2014 Eagle 324BTS travel trailer.
Clevelandjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 02:18 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith3 View Post
Any folks with the Eagle Climate Shield care to chime in on the performance for hot-weather camping comfort?

Anyone with the Thermal package in their JayFlight?

Do folks recommend adding 2nd A/C unit in front bedroom? I think it is probably a given to upgrade the main unit from 13.5K to 15K for these larger bunkhouse models.

NOTE: Our decision is between Eagle 314 BHDS and JayFlight 32 BHDS (with Thermal pkg) and we live in central Texas.

Many thanks!
Get the second air in TX. I can't imagine trying to use a single A/C RV in TX in the summer.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:34 PM   #29

We just ordered a 2015 Jay Flight 33RLDS with the Thermal Package. I read here that someone was able to camp comfortably in the teens with that option...wondering if that was dry camping or if the water lines/water heater/etc all worked OK? Any input? We live in Central IL and it would be great to extend the camping season later/earlier in the year.
mspontiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 06:10 AM   #30

Using a heated water hose and not connecting the sewer hose until ready to dump, we made it through temps as low as 13 with units that did not have the thermal package. So with that extra insulation you should definitely not have any trouble. The water pump and tank should function at those temps as well with no problems. We did that in Denver 3 years ago and it dropped to 17