Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-26-2014, 03:15 PM   #21

We went to the Worlds Fair in Knoxville Tn in 1982, in a1982 Southwind mtr home with two older kids 5 and 9... daughter 4 weeks old. We use portable play pen. No problems. There was no seat belt use in those days and the kids roamed and played in the camper as we drove. Times have changed. It's a lot tougher and safer now.
Ustabslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 03:33 PM   #22

This is our story.....

When we purchased our X23B a couple of years ago, (we bought from a dealer that is about a 3 hour drive away), we were told it would take a couple of weeks for them to get it from Jayco. Then one day, we get a call from the dealer saying they had it.

However, we told them it would be a while before we could drive over to get the trailer because our son and daughter-in -law were due to have their first child any day. Well the eventful day came, (a week later), and we drove over to pick up the trailer. On our way back home, we decided to stop over at a SP and give the trailer a trial run. The SP is less than 45 minutes away from where my son lives, so he and his wife and new born came and stayed with us on our first camping trip.

Let me say the pak-n-play really came in handy and there was plenty of room to walk around it, thanks to the slide out.

Enjoy the new baby and have fun camping!!
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 05:27 PM   #23

Ha, sounds familiar! Our daughter was born October 8 2012. In November my in-laws bought their first camper and HAD to go camping the first weekend they had it. Our daughter was about a month old and we went up to Lancaster, PA to camp for a 2 day weekend. It was chilly, so she was bundled up and we spent a LOT of time by the fire.

We set up the pack-n-play on the dinette table and just tried to be quiet during nap times. We have a video monitor so that she could be inside sleeping and we could keep an eye on her from outside the camper.

With a newborn you don't need to worry about doors and whatnot. Those issues will arise as your child grows and you can handle them as they come up. My daughter loves camping, and I hope when our son is born this winter that he loves it too. Unfortunately we have outgrown our camper, hence my joining this forum... going to upgrade soon.

Get the kid(s) used to it early and hopefully they will love it as much as you do.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:00 PM   #24

Our almost 3 year old granddaughter has camped with us since she was a year old with and without mom and dad.Her play yard fit perfectly in the closet in our bedroom. We could even close the closet doors to block noise when we got in to bed and then were left 1/3 open for ventilation. We used a monitor camera to keep a visual during nap time. Now she is too big for the play yard and next season we will have to figure out another system. We carry toys, books, crayons colouring books etc. We used large square foam tiles on the floor for a soft landing, not the ones with the cut out letters, kids like to pull out the letters and chew them or pile them somewhere else.
We love every minute of it, but we also know there will be relief when she heads home. Favorite picture is her passed out on the couch with crayons and colouring book in hand in her jammie's and rubber boots on, she was spent from the day before.
When I hear a baby crying in the campground I think to myself, nice that the parents can get on the road and enjoy life. That's what it's all about.
4" Magnaflow, Banks Air Intake
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs
DMRGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:07 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SawBuck View Post
I would say a pack-n-play is a must have. Most of them have the ability to set the bed in the raised position, and have a changing table that hangs on the side.

We have never used one in the camper, but we did use it when we went tent camping and when we staying in hotels.
We used our pack-n-play while tent camping best thing ever. Baby could sleep in it and we also pulled it out during the day so baby could enjoy the outdoors in it while we cooked and such.

Number of Nights Camping - 2013 26RKS
2014 - 18, 2013 - 11, 2012 - 11
Number of Nights Camping - 2012 17Z
2012 - 10, 2011 - 13

Countless nights as kids and young adults in a pop-up, hardside TT and several tents!
campingdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:10 PM   #26

Needs change a lot as baby grows. I've taken all my kids as littles and in varying conditions (tent, tent trailer, full size trailer). I see you have a pack and play; if it's bulky I would consider a Kidco Peapod. I would also suggest an outdoor blanket like one made by Tuffo for outdoor time. It's honestly way easier to take babies that are under 6mo, unless they are very colicky. I would not rush into it and would see how baby behaves in the first few weeks (not the first few days - they are usually angels at first!) I don't mind a crying baby, but if it is a baby who screams nonstop... maybe camping isn't the best idea right away. Someone up there said the caregiver can stop the crying. Sure, sometimes, but not always.

I also suggest a good baby carrier so you and DW can walk around the campground. The Ergo is a very popular one.
kodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:17 PM   #27

Folks sharing wisdom gained by hands on experiences with their own kids with folks they don't even know. And not asking for anything in return.
Love it.
Ustabslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:52 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texashighsheriff View Post
Folks sharing wisdom gained by hands on experiences with their own kids with folks they don't even know. And not asking for anything in return.
Love it.
+1 this has been just great! Reading these has taken me from a feeling of trepidation back to one of excitement and wonder at what the coming months and years will bring!

Thanks ya'll, keep it coming!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:18 PM   #29

I've posted this in another thread but...

Having his own "crib" is the best reason we got the bunks.
Pack-and-play like others have said.
We had a clip on style high chair but found most picnic tables are too thick to use it on so we went with a chair top one like this
http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index....AID=1919179637 and it's the best. sit it on the carpet outside to eat (ON the carpet so rocks and dirt don't get eaten) or on the bed... strap the kid in and he won't get into trouble.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:43 PM   #30

Oh, high chair! We have the Ikea high chair (it's great for home too, by the way - only $25 with tray). It's nice and light, bit of a wide footprint though.

You will want to make sure you have hats too, babes lose a lot of heat through their heads.

good luck!
kodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 11:17 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodes View Post
Oh, high chair! We have the Ikea high chair (it's great for home too, by the way - only $25 with tray). It's nice and light, bit of a wide footprint though.

You will want to make sure you have hats too, babes lose a lot of heat through their heads.

good luck!
And Have Fun!!!

BTW, Here is a pic show me and the grandkids in the new trailer on the way back from the dealer (Note, the tag still on the sofa!).....
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 11:29 PM   #32

Our story as it is told ,our son just turned 30 couple of weeks ago back when he was a todler it was all about the schedule , ate went to sleep woke up at the same time every day he was absolutely a great child but know our freinds that we used to camp with bring there 3 grand kids camping when they cry they stuff them with food and sweet drinks plus no disipline at all so we have stopped camping with them we can not take it. Just my two!!
2006 JAYCO JAY FEATHER 23B EXP
EQUILIZER HITCH
Kellys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 01:50 PM   #33

Great question!!! We are also expecting our first in late October, early November. Bought the camper with a slide and bunks earlier this year and have room for the pack and play. Looking forward to reading all the posts on this thread when I have a little more time! Our last trip for this season is early October, so our baby (girl) will be around 6 months old for her first outing, CAN'T WAIT!!

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:40 AM   #34

If the baby starts crying late at night or early in the morning turn the fan inside the camper on high and step outside. You will be surprised how much the noise is dulled by the fan. I have also taken my boys out for early morning drives, most recently around the Park Loop Road in Acadia. I have actually come to enjoy such pre dawn rides.

Overall, when travelling with newborns here is the best advice I can give: know where the nearest hospital is, stick to your normal routines, and bring extra coffee!

Happy Camping!
livelylittlecampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:48 AM   #35
Site Team

Camping High Chair

My neighbor has one of these. It looks real convenient and storable. He says it washes off with a hose easily!

http://www.rei.com/product/872877/ci...d|52774015120|
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote