Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-19-2014, 07:31 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
You can pretty accurately measure the gpm of the water output by filling a five gallon bucket and timing it. Then you know the capacity of your black tank so can figure how long you can run the flush before filling the tank. Suggest you fill no more than 50% of capacity and then dump. Also get the flash lite and take a peek. You don't want to get distracted when you are doing this.
That's right on. For example, it takes me approximately 60 seconds (give or take a second) to fill a five gallon bucket with my setup; I've timed it repeatedly. So no more than five minutes on my tank flush (at VERY maximum) for a 32.5 Gal black tank should be more than good enough.

No matter what, when I'm doing this task, that's all I'm doing. It drove DW crazy the first few times. She would say "why don't you do something while you're just standing around?" Once I described to her the "poo fountain" that could occur if I got distracted, the jeering ceased immediately.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 08:17 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

BIL found out a couple weeks ago why the warning label is next to the black tank flusher inlet hose connection on his Rockwood TT.

I always run my flusher with the dump valve open, don't believe in the OEM sensors....., and so does my BIL now.

Bob

Oh, what happened.....; Well there is a dedicated water pressure relief valve "inside" his TT under the bathroom sink that his black tank flusher water line is connected to....., all the time BIL was letting the flusher do its thing with the dump valve closed he was "flushing" the inside of his TT. The entire carpet was socked, water in floor cabinets, and everywhere else throughout the TT (no poo). Since the dump station was the last thing they did, they didn't find out about the interior flood until 5 hours later when they arrived home.

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 08:25 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
BIL found out a couple weeks ago why the warning label is next to the black tank flusher inlet hose connection on his Rockwood TT.

I always run my flusher with the dump valve open, don't believe in the OEM sensors....., and so does my BIL now.

Bob

Oh, what happened.....; Well there is a dedicated water pressure relief valve "inside" his TT under the bathroom sink that his black tank flusher water line is connected to....., all the time BIL was letting the flusher do its thing with the dump valve closed he was "flushing" the inside of his TT. The entire carpet was socked, water in floor cabinets, and everywhere else throughout the TT (no poo). Since the dump station was the last thing they did, they didn't find out about the interior flood until 5 hours later when they arrived home.

Will definitely keep this story in mind every time I'm rinsing my tank!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 08-19-2014, 08:31 AM   #24

On the flipside, make sure you re-close your black water valve after you run the flusher.

I left the flusher running with the valve open while I did some other tear-down tasks outside. Turned off the flush, then did the grey water tanks. Guess what step I missed?

Got a nice little surprise when I went to hook up the sewer the following weekend. Fortunately, black tank was mostly empty and I was able to re-cap it quickly and saturate the ground with fresh water to clean up.

Oh yeah, also a good idea to always wear gloves when doing anything sewer related!!

2014 White Hawk 28DSBH
2012 F150 EcoBoost MaxTow (2022 F150 PowerBoost on order)
Reese 1200 WDH / Dual Cam Sway Control
dmward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 08:38 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
snip......Will definitely keep this story in mind every time I'm rinsing my tank!
Even though BIL & family were home dealing with a flooded TT, they didn't think the flusher had anything to do with it. I went over a couple of days later to help find the "plumbing leak" (they thought the pump was left running), and it was then that I noticed the dedicated flusher relief valve. To be honest, I never seen one dedicated to the flusher line before.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 11:43 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
Just as a suggestion, WalMart has a wand-type item that attaches to a garden hose that you can put down the toilet in order to flush the black tank. It may not be as convenient but it does a good job and for around $7 bucks it's a deal. Our RV has an installed black tank rinser but we use the "wand" in addition and find that it does a better job.
I'll try the wand thing, thanks.
tjpolsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 11:56 AM   #27

The wand sprayer has been able to keep my black tank sensors working perfectly. Sometimes after I dump the tank it still reads 2/3 and after a good spray with the wand it's back to Empty. Takes 5 minutes but totally worth it.
SkyBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 12:01 PM   #28
Lost in the Woods

X 3 on the wand sprayer. 7 bucks at wally world and clean as a whistle when done.
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 02:10 PM   #29

Had the wand at first, then installed the Quickie Flush.

The wand works, I just hated dragging the hose in and out of the trailer. I have found no matter how hard I try the hose gets dirty and tracks that mess into the trailer. Plus, usually I was doing this at a dump station and I could only imagine what was on that concrete that I then drug the hose over and into my trailer.

The wand is no longer used in my trailer. Might consider it again if I had a floor plan with an outside door directly to the bath, but not when I have to drag the hose through the kitchen, next to the table and couch.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 03:13 PM   #30

Great info.
Same subject....another question. Does anyone put a pressure reducer in line on the hose they use on their black tank flush? I do, just not the same one I use for the fresh water connections.
Thanks.
'13 Wrangler Sahara...AKAFUN
Roadmaster base plate
Ready Brute Elite towbar and brake combo
D&MAKAFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 03:21 PM   #31
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&MAKAFUN View Post
Great info.
Same subject....another question. Does anyone put a pressure reducer in line on the hose they use on their black tank flush? I do, just not the same one I use for the fresh water connections.
Thanks.
I wouldn't. That is the great thing about the wand type in the toilet, full blast as much pressure as I can get.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:57 PM   #32

I agree nbhybrid, the more power, the better for breaking loose any solids that might be hung up. When we had a TT, we used the wand. It worked great. But the down side like clubhouse said, is the mess of the hose coming into/thru the living area. We had black tank flush in our 5er and now in our MH and I really like the convenience side of it. The reason for the pressure reduction is I don't know what kind of pressure is coming from the water source and it is still going in a system that needs to be maintained below 60 psi.
'13 Wrangler Sahara...AKAFUN
Roadmaster base plate
Ready Brute Elite towbar and brake combo
D&MAKAFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 03:57 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&MAKAFUN View Post
Great info.
Thanks.
I don't use one. I have a Y connection on the city water supply. The white FW hose is attached to one leg with the regulator. The other leg is used for my regular garden hose. I use this standard garden hose for black tank rinse, sewer hose rinse, hosing off the roof, and other miscellaneous jobs around camp that might require a hose.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 08-19-2014, 09:00 PM   #34

You know, I can understand the desire of wanting to keep a black tank sparkling clean, but in my opinion, it's a waste tank. It's meant to be dirty. I just make sure to flush down a high ratio of water to waste, and everything works as it should.

I've never worried about keeping the tank clean, other than occasionally filling it with water after a dump to give it an extra cleaning. I've been doing this for the last few years (full time) and have had no problems.

Maybe I'm a rebel. I don't believe in tire covers either.

With the best intentions,
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:20 PM   #35
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerBill View Post
You know, I can understand the desire of wanting to keep a black tank sparkling clean, but in my opinion, it's a waste tank. It's meant to be dirty. I just make sure to flush down a high ratio of water to waste, and everything works as it should.
I've never worried about keeping the tank clean, other than occasionally filling it with water after a dump to give it an extra cleaning. I've been doing this for the last few years (full time) and have had no problems.

Maybe I'm a rebel. I don't believe in tire covers either.

With the best intentions,
If I was fulltiming like you I wouldn't worry either. I just roto rinsed mine after 36 nights and I am storing it for the winter and would rather have it clean instead of dried up poop stuck everywhere. I don't clean it everytime I dump.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:16 PM   #36

I've never worried that the tank read 3/4 full even when I emptied it since I only boondock ed. This summer I been working out of town and living in my old trailer at an rv park. Nice having full hookups. When I dump the black tank I just flush a couple extra tanks of water through the black tank till no more solids are visible passing the clear waste hose adapter, sensor levels are clean and I haven't had the need for tank Chemicals.
Imnaha.Mansion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 10:51 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbhybrid View Post
If I was fulltiming like you I wouldn't worry either. I just roto rinsed mine after 36 nights and I am storing it for the winter and would rather have it clean instead of dried up poop stuck everywhere. I don't clean it everytime I dump.
That's a good point nbhybrid. If I weren't fulltiming I'd probably be more concerned about the tank cleanliness between seasons. When fulltiming there's never time for the tank to dry out.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:24 AM   #38

As soon as my flush is on, the water splashing around makes the sensors read full so checking status is useless. I just give it a few minutes and open the dump and let it run till its cleanish..
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote