Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-14-2013, 04:55 PM   #1

Question Surge Protector(s)

I've been considering purchasing a surge protector. If you already have one, is it hard wired? If its a portable type, what type do you have? How do you secure it, if you do secure it?

Thank you for you thoughts on this.

Archie
Mississippi
archiedh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:04 PM   #2

I installed the EMS-HW30C Progessive Industuries Surge Protector (hardwire) in my 2013 26 BH after I purchased it. To many electrical items in the TT that could get wiped out without one and it could be costy. It was the first mod I did to the TT. I have not had any issues with the system and it has always worked great for me. I installed it my self. It took about an hour--only do the fact it is a bit of a tight space. I also like the fact I have the little monitor inside the trailer so I can glance at the amount of amps, watts etc being used. Many folks use the portable ones and they work fine. I installed the hardwire systems because I did not want to worry about having it "walk away" or digging it out each time I plugged in. I do know they make locks for the portable ones, but once again it was something I did not want to deal with. I feel the hardwire and the portable ones work the same--it just comes down to the $$$$ and the little extra time it takes to connect and secure the portable one.
2013 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
CMSgt USAF (Ret)
"GO BLUE". University of Michigan
Explorer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:05 PM   #3

Hey Archie! You will get LOTS of opinions on this one lol....

I have the hard wired EMS which also protects against missmatch wiring and voltage problems. Well worth it in my opinion as I have had many more problems with wiring than with surges. If you are handy, the hardwired ones are great! If you are not, I think the plug in ones are just fine. My guess is the risk of it being stolen because you didnt lock it are pretty small. While it does happen, at least down here it is pretty rare.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:24 PM   #4

Thanks Sgt! U.S. Navy here. Not retired. 9.66 - 6.70.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:34 PM   #5

Thank you Terry! I'm in Ridgeland, MS, only about three hours from you. I'll be camping at Cossar State park just down I55 from ya. You could drop by and install one on my 5th wheel. Just kidding. But you are welcome to stop by. I'm not sure that I could install one. But I plan to look our 35' Eagle over this weekend to see if I might could install it. Not sure if ill do a portable or hard wire. Again, thank you kindly for your response.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:10 PM   #6

yeah....you all wont be far! We are about to pack up and head out to Mousetail landing this weekend to backpack with the scouts...then camping the following weekend with our friends....Enjoy your time there!

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:20 PM   #7

Y'all have a safe and fun time camping!
Old 04-15-2013, 06:42 AM   #8

I have one just really wished I had gotten the hardwired one instead of the one that hangs from the post... always worried it will disappear..
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:23 AM   #9

I use the portable SurgeGuard and I like to think (and hope) that I don't have to worry about it walking away. I have thought about purchasing a smaller padlock to use to lock the lid for the power pedestal. I am not sure if they all have this, but I have seen some that have the tabs on them that you can run a lock through and can't open it up to unplug it.

Have you done any camping at Lake Lincoln?? If so, how are the sites?? We do Percy Quin at least once a year, and are always looking for new places to try.
imaynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:19 AM   #10

IMO, there should be a 3 x Tier Surge Protection system in every RV/TT.

They are:

- Tier 1 - At the post. This helps stop (reduce the surge) coming from CG grid - down your RV's wire. A good product is: http://www.progressiveindustries.net/ssp_30.htm
Note: This product also has LEDs to perform instant checks - before plugging in your RV/TT's main power cord.

- Tier 2 - At the RV's electrical distribution panel. A great product (that also allows Low Voltage Manual by-pass) is EMS-HW30C Progressive Industries. re: http://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems_hw30c.htm Note: Get the product with remote display.
Note: I original bought the Surge Guard (install it and leave it) product. Knowing what I know today about Low Voltage and sometimes needed to by-pass low voltage conditions, I'd get the EMS-HW30C with Remote Display next time.

- Tier 3 - At the sensitive electrical outlets that has > 1,000+ joules. re: http://www.monstercable.com/images_3...120241_001.jpg
Note: Unknown to some, spikes happen from internal appliances as well. These outlet level items on fridge, coffee pot, your TV/DVD/Media Players, etc. help reduce spikes from inside the RV/TT.

Note: If you plan to keep your RV/TT for 3+ years, I would highly recommend installing above items during 2 year time period. Start with Tier 2 (the heart) and next year, install outer perimeter surge protection layers next. And after 2+ years, your RV/TT has MAX Surge Protection coverage. For the Service post portable unit, simply use a small chain and paddle lock with large U shape lock. Put the thick power cable within the U shape. Easy and low cost - to keep the honest people honest.

For my RV/TTs and knowing what I know today, I'd installed all 3 Tiers. Best of all, Tier 1 (post), Tier 2 (heart) and Tier 3 (outlet) layer items can easily be removed and re-installed within your next RV/TT. Or, be easily removed and sold (if/when your sell your RV/TT). Thus, getting some cost recovery as well.

Hope this helps..
Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:28 AM   #11

I have the SurgeGuard 30A portable EMS. I am happy with it, use the SurgeGuard clam shell and pad lock to secure it. If I felt I was going to have this TT long term I would probably go with a hard wired unit.

Maybe folks who dry camp with a generator can elaborate, but I recall reading the hard wired units don't like generator produced power. Something about an open ground fault when using a generator. When we use our Honda 2K generator we don't use the EMS...not sure if you can bypass the EMS on a hard wired unit.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:54 AM   #12

That is correct.

Some (most) generators don't like surge protectors because Surge Protectors need a "ground" wire (to bleed off the captured spike). Generator's don't have a grounding rod (driving into the ground) - unless one installs a grounding rod and connects to their generator. To by-pass the non-bonded generators, some folks create a simple M to F plug (short pig tail) adaptor. Very simple DIY task. Within this adaptor, they simply "bond" the white wire and bare (ground) wire together. Thus, making the unbounded generator thinking its grounded. But, their generator still needs a grounding rod - to be fully grounded. Yes. The area of bonded and non-bonded (with each risks) is much more complicated than it appears. If wondering, Google Search will provide lots of official documentation on "generator non-bonded vs bonded" text string.

Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:21 PM   #13

We have the Portable Progressive Industries unit that plugs into pedestal.
Been using it Fulltime about a year and a half now, no problems.
Not really worried about it getting stolen, we leave chairs and such outside when we go out for the day.
If we were parked at a seasonal site and away from our RV for extended periods then I would worry about it getting stolen.
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:02 AM   #14

I want to thank each of you for all these suggestions, ideas and thoughts on surge protection. Y'all have been very helpful. Thank you so much!