Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-19-2014, 06:06 PM   #21

Mini update. Timbren is sending me some shorter springs? Not sure if I understand that and they didn't really ask for much specific info. Guess I'll have to wait and see.
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71 CC 6.0L/3.73
ITBC
Reese "Pro Series" 800lb Trunnion WDH w/sway control
amabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 06:10 PM   #22
Site Team

If you don't have 1 inch of clearance between the timbren and the axle then you will have problems. I guess that is one way to give you that clearance.

Thanks for the update.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 06:20 PM   #23

Yeah, but there is already a good 1 inch of clearance, it would almost seem more clearance would make it worse? Not sure. The Timbrens I have are 4 1/2in tall, the factory bump stops are 3 1/4". Hopefully they know what is going on.
ITBC
Old 11-19-2014, 07:07 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by amabee View Post
Yeah, but there is already a good 1 inch of clearance, it would almost seem more clearance would make it worse? Not sure. The Timbrens I have are 4 1/2in tall, the factory bump stops are 3 1/4". Hopefully they know what is going on.

Yeah, I have a hard time seeing how this is going to help... I look forward to reading the next update.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 08:00 PM   #25

Curious to this as well. If I recall, you weren't having any no-load problems, just loaded. If the Timbrens don't engage the bumpstops while under load, why have them. Can you keep the originals? I think you said that you can't access your trailer now, I'd wait and see if there is some WDH adjustments with the old ones on when you get the trailer back. I see you started a thread on a 3/4 ton truck which would make the Timbrens a moot point,[unless you plan on having more than 1200lbs on the tongue] or plan to upgrade to a 5th wheel someday. Keep us posted
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 08:43 PM   #26

They haven't asked for the old ones back so I assume I am keeping them. It's really odd how little info they asked for, just vehicle info and which Timbren part I had. Nothing about the gap between them and the axle, or whether they were making contact with the axle.

The 3/4 ton probably won't happen for a while, so I'd still like to get this to work. To be honest, when we do pick the camper up, most likely Ill pull the Timbrens, put the factory stops back in and leave the hitch alone. 180 miles is to far for another unknown experience.
ITBC
Old 11-19-2014, 09:14 PM   #27

Its very important to reset your hitch height when you add an overload spring such as a timbren spring. Before you had the timbren you most likely used to much transfer bar to raise the truck back once the tongue weight was on it. This is not necessary with the timbrens. You start over with the hitch setup because you now have a diffrent tow vehicle.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 05:39 PM   #28

Well, I asked the Timbren rep how shorter springs would help. Something about the frequency of the truck springs and the frequency of the Timbrens not matching Um, ok. Does make me curious as the whether it will make a difference.
ITBC
Old 12-08-2014, 06:40 PM   #29

If your hitch/ball assembly was higher due to lightening the trailer then the rear suspension of the TV has been raised as well and may not be making proper contact (lbs/sq. ft) with the road, being in effect artificially light and prone to bouncing. As suggested when you go to p/u the trailer for the return trip adjust the WDH as you would for a new install.
I have looked at the Timbren system and for my truck (Nissan Frontier) it says to remove the bump stops and replace them with the SES units. This should leave a 1 to 1-1/4" gap when unloaded between the SES and axle. I presume it's different for every vehicle though.
Hope it works out for you, best of luck.
Mach1tosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 07:53 PM   #30

The following is not specific to Timbrens, but I hope it is helpful none the less.

Some issues I noticed when I started towing my rig.
1. Sway:
Repetitive back and forth motion of the trailer. This was pretty much non-existent with my rig and equal-izer brand hitch. I'm not saying go buy a specific hitch, I'm just relating that mine works well with my truck and trailer.

2. Back end of the truck being pushed around by the trailer:
Noticed this on twisty, steep, downhill roads. Somewhat due to soft sidewall P-rated tires. Switch to E-rated helped a bunch but not completely fixed. Most likely at the limit of a 1/2 ton suspension

3. Squat:
Just like it sounds, back end of the truck sinking low. For this I went with airbags vs Timbrens or other such fixed adjustment. Once I added them I did a complete readjustment of the WD hitch setup. With a fully loaded setup, I brought the rear of the truck back to unloaded height with the airbags, adjusted the hitch height to keep the trailer slightly nose down, and adjusted the springbar tension to recover half of the rise on the front. All of these adjustments kind of affect each other so this is an iterative process.

4. Bounce:
The trailer making the back of the truck bob up and down after a bump. I've only experienced this twice. Once when towing the trailer a block or two without the weight distributing bars hooked up. Bounced like a trampoline. The second was on an undulating road surface. I simply slowed down a bit to get away from the resonant frequency.

That said, I'm at a loss to understand how the Timbrens could have an effect on sway since you need to dampen the change of angle between the trailer and truck. Squat?, yes, should work fine. Sway? not sure how.
E rated Michelin LTX M/S2s

"No matter where you go, there you are"
-Buckaroo Bansai
frieed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 10:30 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by frieed View Post
That said, I'm at a loss to understand how the Timbrens could have an effect on sway since you need to dampen the change of angle between the trailer and truck. Squat?, yes, should work fine. Sway? not sure how.
Briefly; squishy rear ends contribute to sway. The problem is most notable in SUVs, but also somewhat in 1/2 ton trucks. Their primary suspension design focus is on ride comfort, secondary focus is on heavy load management. So softer suspension equals more comfortable ride. The Timbrens (or airbags, or RAS) act to stiffen up the rear suspension under load, thereby contributing to the reduction in sway. The concept builds on and is similar to your replacement of P-rated tires with E-rated tires. The E-rated tires not only better handle the vertical load forces via increased load carrying capacity, but their stiffer sidewalls contribute to lateral stability as well, which further contributes to the reduction of sway.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 12-09-2014, 04:17 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Briefly; squishy rear ends contribute to sway. The problem is most notable in SUVs, but also somewhat in 1/2 ton trucks. Their primary suspension design focus is on ride comfort, secondary focus is on heavy load management. So softer suspension equals more comfortable ride. The Timbrens (or airbags, or RAS) act to stiffen up the rear suspension under load, thereby contributing to the reduction in sway. The concept builds on and is similar to your replacement of P-rated tires with E-rated tires. The E-rated tires not only better handle the vertical load forces via increased load carrying capacity, but their stiffer sidewalls contribute to lateral stability as well, which further contributes to the reduction of sway.
What he said They do actually help in that regard, I am also fairly certain my problem with bouncing had to do with me not adjusting the hitch after installing the Timbrens. I did get the "replacements" from Timbren, they are a good 1" shorter, or about 1/2" taller than the factory bumpstops. I really do not see those working, the truck does not squat enough for them to even make contact.

With that said, I have pretty much decided just to move up to 3/4ton truck, even if I get the Timbrens to work, I still have the payload issue.
ITBC
Old 12-10-2014, 11:06 AM   #33

Yeah, I would say if the Timbrens are not compressed against the axle under load, you will have problems. The factory suspension will give pretty easy, then the Timbrens will engage causing a pretty severe bump I would imagine. However, if the Timbrens are in constant contact with the axle under load, and even a bit compressed, I would think they would work better that way. The Timbrens are not a "progressive" system (like the RAS) where their action increases as the load increases. The Timbrens are either on or off, and if you're in between somewhere, I would think it would be a pretty rough ride.

After all that, I'm in your boat, I'm bumping up against the upper limits of my payload, so 3/4 ton truck is in the plans... Good luck, and happy hunting!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV