Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-14-2013, 07:04 PM   #1

Electric awning question

I have an electric awning on my 23j. It seems like when there is a nice gust of wind it becomes very unstable and once I had it blow back into the camper. It didn't do any damage but am wondering if you put a stronger shock on them would it take care of this issue? Has anyone tried this?
slabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:28 PM   #2

There are products available that will make your awning more stable than it already is. And there are pictures and stories "out there" where wind ripped the awning off the TT completely - causing a lot of damage. I take mine in if there is any wind I think might hurt it.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:49 PM   #3

Isn't there some type of wind sensor that automatically rolls up the awning in windy conditions?
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:34 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by glsimms View Post
Isn't there some type of wind sensor that automatically rolls up the awning in windy conditions?
No...not on all models. My 2010 electric awning does not have it.
krsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by krsmitty View Post
No...not on all models. My 2010 electric awning does not have it.
Yeah mine doesn't have it either.

I thought there was an after-market product you could buy and install it your-self.

I just found this link to one:

http://www.rvbusiness.com/2012/12/so...or-rv-awnings/
Gerard
Old 10-15-2013, 08:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by slabat View Post
I have an electric awning on my 23j. It seems like when there is a nice gust of wind it becomes very unstable and once I had it blow back into the camper. It didn't do any damage but am wondering if you put a stronger shock on them would it take care of this issue? Has anyone tried this?
I think that a stronger shock may keep the awning extended longer in high winds. But even so, that would not strengthen the frame, fabric, or attachment points. Really the only thing that helps in high (or even moderate) wind for an electric awning is to stow it. The surface area of the awning is so large and therefore the sail area so large that something will give in high winds.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:54 AM   #7

We learned that the awning has limited use in reality. There are days that are perfect for it's use but they are fewer than you might think. We never leave the awning out, we use it and then put it up unless it's on those perfect days and nights with zero chance of storms and light winds.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by glsimms View Post
Yeah mine doesn't have it either.

I thought there was an after-market product you could buy and install it your-self.

I just found this link to one:

http://www.rvbusiness.com/2012/12/so...or-rv-awnings/
UPDATE:

Well I decided to contact the manufacturer about their wind sensor I posted about in the link above. They responded and said it is available, but will only work with their motors.
Gerard
Old 10-15-2013, 07:08 PM   #9

I had the same problem with mine the first year I had the trailer. I have the Carefree electic adjustable awning. The canvas blew onto the top of the the camper one time, then moved back into position. I found that by lowering the awning to its lowest setting, or close to it, it is much less apt to be blown around by the wind. I have not had the problem since I started to do that. I do retract it if it is going to be unusually windy or storms are forcast. I have thought about getting the wind sensor auto retract feature, just haven't done it yet.

2015 Starcraft Travel Star 299BHU Black Pearl Edition
2011 Jayco X23J (traded in)
2013 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew 6.2 Max Tow
7700 GVWR 3.73 E-locker
tslarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:31 AM   #10

I have the electric awning on my 30.5. This is my first experience with an electric awning, and this one has the adjustable pitch feature. Can anyone tell my what position the awning has to be in to adjust the pitch?
Witt74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:25 PM   #11

I think the shock on the awning is designed to dump the awning when a certain weight of water has collected. Changing the shock could harm this feature.
I have the dometic electric awning. The pitch is easily adjustable by simply loosening a knob and pitching that side of the awning.
I believe the awning needs to be back to normal position before retracting. As for wind, my dealer advised me that these awnings are not as resistant to wind gust as are the manual awnings. Based on that advice I find it reasonable to stow the awning on windy days.
rog4kneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:43 PM   #12

New guy on the block here, but I have a 2008 greyhawk 31SS with power awning (Carefree of Colo I believe), and the directions (I actually read 'em,) stated that I could have each arm at different locations/stops (1-5) and the awning would retract and extend properly. never have to change it except for weather conditions per the directions.
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 05:33 AM   #13

Electric awning question

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldermike View Post
We learned that the awning has limited use in reality. There are days that are perfect for it's use but they are fewer than you might think. We never leave the awning out, we use it and then put it up unless it's on those perfect days and nights with zero chance of storms and light winds.

X2, besides making your site homey and unique, the actual value of an awning is minor, but we all like them anyway, I'm currently researching the best tie down solutions in another thread.
2014 Jayco Jay Feather X23B-"Glampy"(Sold)
DW, DS, DDx2, and Bandit & Fletcher
Bikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:08 AM   #14

darn it

The other day I saw a guy pulled over on the side of the highway with his awning all tangled and hanging, now I wish I would have stopped to ask him what kind it is/was.
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote