Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-26-2014, 07:44 AM   #1

Canadian Cell phone use in USA

We are heading down to Yellowstone for a couple weeks next month and I am thinking about getting a SIM card for a US network with a prepaid plan since the "roaming" packages offered by Telus are still flippin' expensive with very low data offered.

1) Has anyone done this? What carrier did you use?

2) Is it worth it? It looks like Yellowstone has very little service. If it's really spotty I will just get the cheap plan from Telus if I won't be able to use the phone much anyway.

Thanks!
Old 07-26-2014, 09:50 AM   #2

Just go to Wally W or similar store and purchase a tracfone w/ double or triple minutes. They work just about anywhere. I've used mine in Colorado, Oregon, and even Alaska and it worked where ever a signal was available. They come with set up for Att or Verizon. I like the Verizon network because it is the best network where I live but for you either will work. Get a 30 day [60, 90, or annual] service card and some minutes and you're good to go for less than $100. You can let it lapse and charge it up for your next visit to the US, Too bad your country considers the US a foreign country. Guess thats why I get a 3d degree going over when I cross the border going north.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 10:00 AM   #3

Thanks B!
Old 07-26-2014, 11:13 AM   #4

Thanks for cell info. Sorry about the border, seems to be getting worse going both ways.
SecretCoveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 12:35 PM   #5

Last February, my 2 youngest (11 and 15), my 76 year old mom, and I, traveled via train from Wenatchee, Washington to Orlando, Florida to spend 10 days in Disneyworld. The trip itself was an adventure! Highly recommend it as long as you can 'go with the flow' and not get uptight when things don't go as scheduled. Anyhow...I wanted to stay in touch with family back in BC, Canada as well as use my phone for data while we were gone. I use Virgin as my carrier. I was able to purchase a roaming add on for a pretty good price. They have an assortment of packages you can choose from that cover 30 days usage. I found it was a good deal.
http://www.virginmobile.ca/en/featur...eviceType_ROAM

2008 Jayco Jayflight G2 31BHDS
2012 Dodge 3500 Cummins Diesel, Crew Cab/ Short Box
Little Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 10:13 PM   #6

I use roam mobility
www.roammobility.com
It's a Canadian company that has a network setup in the USA, so you get your SIM before leaving through the mail
If your phone is unlock, you just switch SIM when you're in the states and you have unlimited calls nationwide and even Canada included, no long distance! Even text messaging is unlimited. You can also get a data plan.
I've used it for a week at Disneyworld and it's perfect!
Philpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:27 PM   #7

Telus would be compatible with ATT network frequencies. I would recommend straightalk. You can pick that up at walmart too. Since it would match the frequencies of your phone you can just get a sim card and use your current phone, if it's unlocked of course.
GuanoJuano is offline   Reply With Quote