Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-21-2014, 07:04 PM   #1

battery fuse, when to pull/when to leave in?

I have a used hybrid Jayco, and just noticed my battery fuse is missing.
Everything works fine, and we never run on battery alone, so I didn't even miss it. My question is: if I replace it, do I leave it in all season, even when towing? Is it best to remove it for winter storage?
Should I put in a 30 A fuse, as that is the max size stated on the holder?
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:30 PM   #2

A 30A is what should go in the fuse holder. It's best to leave it in all the time. Otherwise, your battery will never get charged up.

If it's been out for a long time, your battery might be toast. Put a fuse in, and let it charge for a few days with the trailer power cord plugged in. Then remove the plug and see if all your DC devices (lights, furnace, water pump, etc) work. If not, you probably need to replace the battery.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:42 PM   #3

Thanks for this thread. You just cleared things up as to why our brand new trailer has a completely dead battery. We picked it up Saturday 6 hours away, stayed overnight with it plugged into power, then the battery died completely on us while putting up the tongue jack to go home. We figured it would charge on the way home. Got home at 3am and still didn't have any lights in the trailer so looked at it today and discovered the fuse was burned out. We've had the battery on a charger for several hours and it doesn't seem to be charging.

I'm hoping the battery isn't toast. But could it be so quickly?
SilverEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:36 PM   #4

If a battery gets to the point of being completely discharged, it can shorten the battery's life, and if it's got no charge for an extended time, it might not ever hold a charge again. It might take a few days of charging to know if the battery is any good or not. If it just lost it's charge once due to the burned out fuse, it will probably revive.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerBill View Post
If a battery gets to the point of being completely discharged, it can shorten the battery's life, and if it's got no charge for an extended time, it might not ever hold a charge again. It might take a few days of charging to know if the battery is any good or not. If it just lost it's charge once due to the burned out fuse, it will probably revive.
It looks like it did charge on the charger and with a new fuse, it seems we're back up and running. And I think we can pinpoint when the fuse blew, because the battery won't output power either with the fuse blown, correct?
Old 07-22-2014, 04:20 AM   #6

I only remove mine in the winter (when I store my trailer in my garage) and put it back every 2 weeks or so during that period to charge up again
Old 07-22-2014, 05:02 AM   #7
Site Team

If you have electric brakes, you'd better have that fuse in and battery fully charged when towing. Otherwise, should the trailer completely break away from the TV, there will be no power to energize the brakes to stop it because that's where the power comes from.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 06:01 AM   #8

I was advised by my dealer to remove the fuse when the camper is parked at home and not hooked up to shore power. If left in, he said that the propane/CO detector would constantly draw power from the batteries. The fuse is the only disconnect that I have between my batteries and the tailer.
12VOLTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEscape View Post
It looks like it did charge on the charger and with a new fuse, it seems we're back up and running. And I think we can pinpoint when the fuse blew, because the battery won't output power either with the fuse blown, correct?
Wasn't trying to highjack the thread, but looks like we have a power tongue jack issue. Using it for 10 seconds completely kills the battery. We had our vehicle hooked up running figuring we could use vehicle power, and it kicked out our vehicle so our vehicle wasn't running anymore.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:02 AM   #10

Thanks to all.
I think I've got a handle on it now.
Happy Camping!
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:56 AM   #11

I just use a wing nut that came with the battery to remove the two connectors from the positive terminal on the battery when the trailer is not being used. I never remove the fuses. I put the two wires back on when we are preparing for a trip.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:43 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
snip......Should I put in a 30 A fuse, as that is the max size stated on the holder?
Welcome to JOF

Yes, there should be a 30amp fuse installed at all times, and carry a spare.

For winter storage it's best to remove the battery and have a battery minder/charger attached to it...., the fuse can remain.

This is what I use: http://www.batterymart.com/p-battery...FVFp7AodEAsAdg

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote