Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-18-2014, 01:41 PM   #1

Where to get slide topper

Have a 2015 26rls Jay Flight. Looking to put a topper on the big slide.
Where is a good place to purchase one and is this a do it yourself project , or should I get it thru the Jayco dealer and have them install it
Thanks
Mikeos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 02:14 PM   #2

Thanks for the post, Mike. I have recently had the same thought and would like to add a topper myself. Hope you get some good responses.
Jeff
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 02:25 PM   #3

http://www.rvawningsonline.com/
Old 08-18-2014, 04:41 PM   #4

I got mine from the dealer and had them install when new. I think it's not too hard to do but it didn't really cost any more to have them do it. You have to drill, rivot, adjust tension, etc. Personally it wasn't worth my time learning to do it because I probably won't do it again for a long time.
UPCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:19 PM   #5

Your dealer or another awning company can probably change it fast and do it right in less time than you could probably do it.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 10:15 PM   #6

Mikeos
Before you attempt to install your self or go to a dealer I would like to suggest that you contact Jayco and tell them that you want to install a slide awning and you would like to receive a copy of the frame work inside the wall so you can mount the fitting properly. If you go to a dealer you can show him the drawing to make sure the fitting is installed correctly.

When I bought my Jayco Eagle I requested as part of the deal that a slide awning be installed by the dealer. IN MHO Joe who had just finished sweeping the floor was given an opportunity to upgrade his skills. However, he mounted the wall bracket and inch below the internal brace that should have held the screws. A few windy days camping and the screws started to pull out of the wall.

Bob
Old 08-21-2014, 08:17 PM   #7

We traded our Pinnacle for a SOB 5th Wheel that did not have slide toppers on it.
Our new 5th Wheel has 5 Slides, I bought the Slide Toppers from http://www.shadepro.net/ for about $1300 with free shipping
My BIL and me installed them in a day, they look very nice and work great.
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:43 PM   #8

On their face, slide toppers seem like an OK idea. Had 3 of them on our first RV (used fifth wheel). By the time we traded it for our current Jayco TT, it was a 'good riddance' moment to them. Mounting them puts A LOT of holes in the sidewall, the channel mounted to the sidewall is yet more caulking to maintain, and as I discovered, when breezy/windy stuff gets on the slide roof anyway, only it's now harder to remove because the topper is over the slide roof. The toppers on the fifth wheel were Carefree of Colorado, but I found some irony in the name because they weren't 'carefree'.

Lived with them now lived without them. I can live without them..........
thomasmnile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:14 PM   #9

Funny, I came across this right after posting about putting a slide topper on my 2013 26 RLS. I'll be watching your thread, too.
hbravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:46 AM   #10

Where to get slide topper

We installed them in a day on our 36REQS on 4 slides . Putting the brackets on was a pain and in a couple places we had to use Oscar rivets Jayco was very helpful on some questions before we started. I don't know how I would have done it without scaffolding to walk the bead in to the long bracket that is mounted on the 5er. I am 65 and the wife is 62 and we completed it in a day. We did the ones that were enclosed in metal .ordered them thru camping world
Clayton4971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 01:23 PM   #11

Today I called Jayco tech service to see about the design of the inner structure of the J-Flight 26 RLS in regards to having a slide topper installed. The tech told me since the topper is not a Jayco option, it will not have been framed for a slide topper to be added.

If this is true, I am bummed.
hbravo is offline   Reply With Quote